How do I count the calories I am juicing?

Options
So I used my juicer this morning. It tasted good (1 pear 2 apples) but there was a lot of juice left in the pulp.... does this happen to anyone else that juices? ALSO... how the hell am I supposed to document my calories now? I know how many calories are in the whole piece of fruit but I'm not using it all. and do I just throw the pulp away or can I use it for something else?

Replies

• domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I just started using a juicer the other day and had this same question. I decided to juice count the whole vegetable (Beets, carrots, celery). I've only used my juicer once so I haven't had an issue with juice in the pulp (hope I don't later either).

As far as what to do with the pulp, I was looking into that too. Some people save it for smoothies or soups down the line by freezing it in a ziploc bag. I would imagine you could even make healthy fruit popsicles too! Since mine is vegetable-based and two of those veggies are used to make stocks, I'm going to look into soup recipes.

Hope that helps :)
  • deannamalik
    Options
    I havent juiced with veggies yet... I'm hoping the pulp will stay dry since veggies have less juice than apples and pears. I think it could be the quality of my juicer too.
  • talaysia3
    talaysia3 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it may depend on your juicer. I had a Hamilton Beach juicer that left tons of juice in the pulp. It was a really cheap juicer. Then I got a Jack Lalanne power juicer and I have little pulp and it's dry, but the juicer was much more expensive, and there are others that probably do better...but they are much more expensive like the Breville and the Omega juicers.

I use what pulp I have for compost in my garden. Others use it for smoothies or soup stock. I have yet to try either.

When I juice, I guess I just count the whole thing. Even though I know I'm not getting the pulp, I think that really only accounts for the fiber and the calories are still in the juice.
  • deannamalik
    Options
    yeah I have the hamilton beach big mouth juicer. Damn it LOL
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Most of the calories in fruits and veggies are in the sugars in the juice. The pulp is just fiber. Count the whole amount of the item you juiced.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I too juice, I count the whole vegetable or fruit. I guess you can remove the fiber since that's the pulp that stays behind. But I would rather over count then under count the calories. safety margin.

A juice I like is 2 granny apples, 1 pear, 2 cucumbers, half cup of blueberries, half cup of raspberries, 8 cups stuffed full of spinach and 1 cup of kale. The kale and spinach do not yield as much juice and I always juice them first so the wetter fruits and veggies help push out their juices.

Hope this helps.
  • rayray61
    rayray61 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Go to juice, & pick what you juiced, alot like regular fruit calories, good drinks even with vegs.
  • deannamalik
    Options
    I too juice, I count the whole vegetable or fruit. I guess you can remove the fiber since that's the pulp that stays behind. But I would rather over count then under count the calories. safety margin.

A juice I like is 2 granny apples, 1 pear, 2 cucumbers, half cup of blueberries, half cup of raspberries, 8 cups stuffed full of spinach and 1 cup of kale. The kale and spinach do not yield as much juice and I always juice them first so the wetter fruits and veggies help push out their juices.

Hope this helps.

thank you!!!! I love recipes! Anyone else have any good ones?
    http://www.raw-foods-diet-center.com/vegetable-juicing-recipes.html
    That is a pretty good website I found today with lots of ideas
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with talaysia3 on the calories. Just count it as whole fruit for calorie count. Or maybe do 90% if you are on super-low calories.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'd count the whole veg/fruit too. You can download recipes from
    www.juicemaster.com/
    That's the site that got me into juicing, and a toatally healthier eating plan!