Work out suggestions for a larger man?

Options
My husband is 6 ft 4 and over 300 lbs. He would like to start working out but has no idea where to start. His work is sedentary and since he works from home he doesn't really get out much.

Does anyone have suggestion on where he could start?

Replies

• JJShotz
    JJShotz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk...then move on to other cardio when he's ready. I lost the majority of my weight just by walking.
  • bsmcdonald0513
    bsmcdonald0513 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A brisk walk after meals would be a great place to start!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Walking is always a good start.
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Walking is a good start. Swimming is good for larger people too because it's low impact and you really get a good cardio workout. Shadow boxing (punching variations) is a good toning exercise for upper body and you also get good cardio with low impact to the joints. I would suggest you look on line for some more ideas, there are lots of sites dedicated to fitness! I wish him lots of luck!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would have him start with weights, and maybe light to moderate cardio such as walking. It sounds like he isn't very experienced with working out, so he probably wouldn't want to take on too much in the beginning.

I have done Jamie Eason's LiveFit program twice and love it. I was a beginnger the first time I did it, and thought it was an excellent program with great structure for people who are new to the gym.

Just tell him to check out the program here:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk and walk some more!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    BUMP. This is almost exactly where my boyfriend, Brettj22 started. I know he's gonna miss this forum topic cuz he's in class at work but go ahead and message him and I'm sure he'll be happy to share his story. ^_^

As far as I can tell, he just started going to the gym and seeing a personal trainer, who directed him in how to use free weights and the machines. He started with uber light weights but just didn't let it bother him and he's progressing AMAZINGLY. He's lost like 23 lbs already in like 2 or 3 months or something crazy like that. (I'm so jealous!!)

He also makes sure he at least gets on the elliptical for like half an hour if he doesn't have time for a lifting session, so at least he does SOMETHING every day.

My continuous advice to him is always that DOING SOMETHING - NO MATTER HOW SMALL - IS AWESOME. DO THAT. It doesn't matter what you did or didn't accomplish the day before, just DO YOUR BEST TODAY, RIGHT NOW. If you get up tomorrow and TRY AGAIN, then you will never fail, you will only have speed bumps.

STAY POSITIVE and you WILL achieve your goals. :)

Good luck!!! <3
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I agree - there is no better exercise for burning fat than walking. Another good option is swimming, if that's available. I remember when I weighed 270 that it was hard for me to walk for any distance because of lower back pain, I had to lose 30-40 pounds before that went away and I could really start exercising. But if he can walk at all - that's the thing to do.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Walking & swimming. Swimming is easy on the joints, and walking gets one up and moving regularly (plus it's free).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk...then move on to other cardio when he's ready. I lost the majority of my weight just by walking.

Agree with this. Walking is a great place to start, then increase cardio and add strength training once stamina has improved. Start with the basics and never stop increasing the intensity.
  • cactusphil
    Options
    I'm going to go in a different direction. Swim swim swim. It's a great whole body cardio exercise, plus water has 12 times the resistance of air so you will build muscle as well. Start with 20-30 minutes and build up.
  • garciabnm
    Options
    I started out with walking. At first a mile then 2 then 3. Once that got to be "easier" I purchaced a bike and would alternate days between them both. It was a good start for me. Good luck to your husband!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    squats.gif
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everyone else that getting out and walking is an excellent place to start. If he enjoys sports, he might also look into joining a local sports league. They usually practice one or two nights per week in addition to playing at least one competitive game per week.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I would suggest walking and lifting.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I started out walking, then using the exercise bike and ellipse machine at the gym. I also started lifting weights right from the beginning. This will help him maintain muscle mass while losing weight. As I got fitter, I started adding more challenging cardio exercises like the stair stepper, and then running. I have kept up the weight lifting through out my weight loss.
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Biking is also a great low impact exercise.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Thank you guys so much for your suggestions.

Walking is something I could do with him after work so that sounds like a plan.

For those who have mentioned weights, does anyone have an idea of how heavy and what kind of moves?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Powerlifting. Have you seen pro powerlifters?
    Lifting is one of the best ways to lose fat and improve composition.