How to NOT Gain Weight During the Holidays

Options

Replies

• Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    For me .. I seem to forever gain about 5 lbs on holiday .. oh well. I'm not afraid of it .. it's not 20 lbs! And I plan and accept it. What I plan on doing a little differently this holiday is rather than trying to stick to my plan (currently pushing for the last few pounds to drop) .. I'm going to work on being on maintenance instead.

I'll still have crap days because unfortunately .. for 8 days over Thanksgiving and 18 days over the Christmas/New Year's holiday .. I'll be living out in a hotel and ALL meals will be restaurant food. It's the same every year .. This is how my family celebrates the holidays together .. away from home. Of course I will make the most healthy possible choices and exercise portion control (placing 1/2 orders instead of full entrees whenever possible) .. I always do when I'm traveling anyway. It's just not possible to make my own meals. I request a refrigerator and microwave in my room .. but the fridge is tiny .. and quickly fills up with leftover meals before I have chance to eat them. It's a lot more expensive to rent a suite with a kitchen in a neighboring town.. and traveling (not for business, but for family) 5 times a year .. isn't cheap. Flying, car rentals .. it's already adding up.

I do plan on using the hotel's gym and swimming pool every day! and I'm going to enjoy my family, friends, the food and drink! I will not bloat out and fail miserably every day. I will simply do the best I can :-)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How about double jeopardy, all married people know what I am talking about. Dinner at her parents place, dinner at your parents house . Same at Christmas, and you can bet there will be food for 40 when only 12 are showing up. All the bad food choices, sweets, bad carbs, you feel like a alcoholic in a bar with open bar.

I just accept its going to be a bad month, and look forward to January so I can resume my diet. I figure it won't be so bad when I reach my target weight, then falling off the wagon won't feel so bad.

We alternate holidays. Thanksgiving my side, Christmas his side. We did the both places same day before though too. But I ate my "meal" at the first one and not much if anything nibbled on at the second... Or a piece of pie at the second.

It really doesn't need to be a disaster. :-) Let you second host know "I ate too much at my parent's house. I can't really eat much here, maybe just a piece of your delicious pie ;-)"

No one ever seemed offended that we didn't eat much at his family's place. Of course there were always like 40 people so they might not have noticed....
  • dbent80
    Options
    Thanks for the post :wink:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I hope all my friends see that I commented on this and read your post too.

• BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Why are we all talking about Holidays that will last two months??? There is Thanksgiving (fine, 2 sets of parents, thus, 2 dinners), Christmas (or whatever else you are celebrating)- 2 dinners and the New Years party. Throw in a few corporate parties. So maybe 5 -7 bad meals spread over 2 months. It's just the mentality so stop with bull cr@p if you care about the progress you've made so far, enjoy those several dinners/lunches and continue on with what you were doing before holidays.
    We are all here to reach a certain goal so why looking for excuses and giving yourself whole 2 months to eff up your progress?

Phewwwwwwwww. I am done....
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take what food I really love (like the canned cranberry stuff, gross, I know!!!)

I LOVE can shaped cranberry sauce!!!!! My MIL makes the real stuff, I tried some once and well, it's NOT for me! Give me a slice with the can ridges in it! LOL
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great idea to eat all the healthy stuff first and save the junk for last! I usually pile EVERYTHING on my plate at once lol

BUTTTTT what about ALL the leftovers??? We usually have a week's worth of leftovers after Thanksgiving and Xmas :-(((((
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    All the helpful tips in the world won't help if people lack self-control.

I already have a plan in place, and my boyfriend is on-board to help out. If there's a particular dessert I want, he'll give me 1/4 of his piece and eat the rest. I'm pretty good at avoiding cookies and such. My family has small plates, so I can use one of those instead of the big china plates. We're also going to go for a walk in the morning and evening to help burn some extra calories (and give him a break from the family noise). I'm going to drown myself in water all day so I'm not tempted to eat bits and pieces of stuff while helping Mom cook.

Plus, my family knows I've been working really hard, so they don't offer me things or say, "Oh, just have a little bite." They're very respectful, and it helps a lot. My parents have been losing weight too, which is awesome, especially since my mom is diabetic.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Learn to love the 80/20 rule. If you are going to attend your office and family parties and plan on eating and drinking whatever the hell you want, that means you need to be incredibly diligent in your normal days. No more, “okay just one” which leads to four or five. Instead, aim for great week days – eat great breakfasts before work, bring your lunch in, and cook a great dinner. Then, on weekends or holiday parties, eat what’s available.

Eliminate the term “cheat day” or “cheat meal” from your vocabulary. ”Cheat” implies that you’re doing something wrong or immoral and should thus feel ashamed afterward, which I don’t think is true. Last weekend, I ate pizza, drank beer, and ate a dozen hot wings on a Sunday while watching football, and didn’t feel an ounce of guilt or shame about it – it wasn’t a “cheat day,” it’s just simply part my eating plan. Eating great 80% of the time and eating what I’m in the mood for during the other 20% allows me to feel good, look good, and have fun.

Now, after that “whatever” meal is done, I immediately go back to my normal healthy eating schedule – not because I was cheating or because I felt guilty, but because that’s just how I operate. No momentum loss, because it’s business as usual!

^^^ THIS. This is something a lot of people need to take to heart 365 days a year. It makes me sad how many "I just had a binge and life is completely over. I'll be fat forever." posts I see in the forums.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. I feel like I need to print this whole thing out and tape it to my mirror aand read it aloud every day for the next month and a half.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Loved it:drinker: :drinker: Great words to follow for the rest of my life as holidays and special occasions weave in and out of my life.

Thank you:happy:
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Also take into account...how many Thanksgivings and Christmases have you had? 20? 30? 40? Why can't you skip this ONE to save your life, to get healthy and feel good about yourself?

This is so true, I like the way you put it...
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    Cause thanks to being here, and with tips like the OP and others gave.. I am able to keep getting healthier, and feeling good about myself, without having to skip any precious time spent together with loved ones at any holiday celebrations: it's a win win! :bigsmile:
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    its called SELF CONTROL
    And balance.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Also, if you follow this 80/20 deal, one day is less than 20% of your week. If you have a blow out on Thanksgiving you still have .4 of a day to fck off and still have a good 80% of your week.

Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday of the year. Cooking and drinking are two of my favorite activities and I get an early start on both and do them all day long on Thanksgiving. Last year I was doing P90X and had just started couch to 5K so I got up extra early to run and do my workout and then poured a cup of coffee with some Irish Whiskey and hit the kitchen. Next day I got up, worked out, and it was business as usual.

This year the plan is to get up and run and then pour a cup of coffee full of Irish Whiskey and hit the kitchen. Next day I'll get up, work out, and business as usual. I'll still have .4 days during that week to fck off too.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

How about double jeopardy, all married people know what I am talking about. Dinner at her parents place, dinner at your parents house . Same at Christmas, and you can bet there will be food for 40 when only 12 are showing up. All the bad food choices, sweets, bad carbs, you feel like a alcoholic in a bar with open bar.

I just accept its going to be a bad month, and look forward to January so I can resume my diet. I figure it won't be so bad when I reach my target weight, then falling off the wagon won't feel so bad.
    but i'm going to be trying to lose weight every other day. 80% on point, allows me 20% wiggle room.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote}
    Try what, eat lettuce while everyone is eatting. I admit I am a food addict, I lose weight by not having the bad food around. So I guess I was trying to comment on having to put up with two bad days of eatting instead of one. And you don't know me, and what I have loss, so don't assume I am a failure, nice way to try and help.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

This will be my first holiday season while dieting, but I have an idea in mind that I plan to try: PORTION CONTROL. I'm taking my digital scale and dishers with me. I also plan to log every bite in MyFitnessPal. It is working for me now, and I haven't given up any favorite foods or drinks. The other secret weapon I have is my husband. We're doing this dieting together, so I will be taking my diet partner with me to help with the challenge.

We no longer face double jeopardy because DH and I are in our 60's and our parents are with God, BUT we have kids who have cherished holiday traditions to follow that we established over the years. I'm so happy with my progress that I'm unwilling to let things go too far. There is only one holiday treat I worry about, clam dip and potato chips. It is my Achilles heel. I'm considering how to handle it. Perhaps we can substitute another scooping vehicle for the potato chips, like celery or cucumber slices. And I'll make "diet dip" by using neufchatel instead of cream cheese. I plan to include the kids in the discussion so no feelings get hurt if we slack a bit on the celebratory food. In the end, the scales will tell whether we succeed.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Just eat ALL the foodz!!! Rawr!!

Listen, this is coming from someone who has FFBS (Former Fat Boy Syndrome): Just eat all the food. You'll be just fine, get back on track the next day. If you're truly worried about it, stay within your caloric goals and just ignore macros for the day. That way you can still eat pie or whatever and not have as much guilt.

I still say EAT ALL THE FOODZ!!!! I'm aiming for 10k calories on Thanksgiving, true story.
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!