Big Boyz Do Cry...

Options
I shared this with my MFP friends and thought it may inspire/encourage you who face physical challenges in this health and weight loss journey. I have a long way to go yet, but now after 6 months of steady work, a new lifestyle has emerged with great results. This is a report about my semi-annual doctor's appointment yesterday. I hope you find hope in this and the courage to journey onward.

Big Boyz Do Cry

Well, on April 19th of this year I left my doctor's office challenged as I had my annual physical. Oh, all the numbers were great except one..my weight. We discussed diet and exercise at that time (he knows I am disabled and works with me) and what I could do over the next couple of years to get healthy. I took his challenge and bought a very nice digital scale the next day, created a very cool excel file to log all my food and exercise, did research on obesity for men in their 50's at Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, WebMD, Dr. Oz, Livestrong (cheater), and came up with a food plan that fits my needs and challenges.

SW (SuperWife) joined me at that time as well and we began this journey together. Fast forward. In June, I was researching sodium and what is acceptable and wouldn't you know, I found this site called MFP. I nosed around a bit and joined just to log my food and exercise. Well, then I found a few friends and a few more and started to really lose weight using this site and my HRM.

You all keep me motivated when I read your posts. When my back and leg won't work, I go ahead and just burn some cals in my chair listening to some cool tunes. Without you, today would not have been so freakin cool....

I had my semiannual checkup with my doc today. He came in the exam room and did the usual interview and then he looked astonished and I'm thinking, "Crap, I'll bet my cholesterol....", then Doc looked at me and said, "OMG, you've lost over 50lbs. Incredible."

We then talked about how I need to keep going and it still will take a year or more to get where I am happy. He was not so professional, but motivational and notso doctorish. Loved it.

Well, I went down to pay the bill and when I sat down to get my checkbook out, the cashier did some smalltalk and then said, "Oh, well...Doctor JF gave you a no charge." I said, "What?" "There is no charge for today's visit and that's his call." I was speechless. You see, I can't get any insurance period. All of this comes out of my pocket. Can't get any disability. My doc knows all this.

So, I walked out to my van and when I got to the door, I just broke and cried. Yup, Big D with a handful of tears. The last time I was in this parking lot I was 57 pounds heavier and could barely walk. Tears of joy flooded my soul. I gave thanks to God for helping me, for my good doctor and his advice last spring, for my wife helping me to journey on, and for you--for all the love, care, prayers, laughing at my silliness, joking about the blender drinks, picking me up when I am down, and the rest.
Big Boyz do cry. I did, unashamed. That's what real gratitude is about and that is what will keep me on the path.

Thank you!

Till next time,

Big D

ps: If you want...read my profile and add me as a friend...but only if you want to share in the journey. :)

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing your story. It made me smile and made me think about all the great people in my life :)
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    WOW! your story was so very real and touching. I'm so happy for you and the progress you've made so far. I know what it feels like to fear going to the Dr's office, and my last visit was one of the most positive visits I've had in a long time. All my numbers were going down the way he wanted. I didn't cry, but when I left, Idid feel like I was walkng on air!!

Your positive mindset, your determination will get you to your goal. MFP seems to be such a lifeline for so many of us. Glad you found it too!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Awww, I had a great big belly laugh as well! Add me if anyone wants to be read my profile first and only if you want to share in this journey! Always could have more friends to support and support others as well.

Happy Friday!
  • meenzer
    meenzer Posts: 100
    Options
    WELL DONE and keep your awesome work up, it is so much worth and miracles happen over and over again...

:flowerforyou: