Gluten Free, Dairy Free

Options
Does anyone have a restricted diet when it comes to dairy and gluten? I've just been diagnosed with it. Any good milks, yogurts, or breads that anyone knows of or likes?

Replies

• nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers are amazing. They are pretty easy to find, even at Costco once in a while.

I've only tried So Delicious yogurt and it was ok.
  • biodummy40
    Options
    My son has been on a gluten dairy free diet for 10 years. We have found the best breads, bagels and such are Kinnikinnick. Many health food stores carry this brand but, if you cannot find it you can order off the internet. They have a GFCF ALTA line that is gluten and dairy free. Also the brand Enjoy life has many cookies and snack bars that are good. This brand can be bought at Walmart stores and health food stores. The Best milk substitute we've found is Silk soy. It comes in a variety of flavors. Hope this helps. Good luck! It's not too bad of a diet once you get used to it. :smile:
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    I do gluten free and dairy free, plus corn, soy and caffeine free. It's tough but there are tons of options!! I do a smoothie for breakfast, salad for lunch and fish or chicken with veggie and either potatoes or rice for dinner. Snacks are nuts, pumpkin seeds or brown rice sushi. It's really helped me lose weight these past few weeks. Whole foods has tons of snacks, crackers and breads etc. I work there so it's very easy for me to pick up what my family needs. We do cereal and rice milk, plusother munchi snacks for our kids.

Email me of you have questions! It's been hard but very do-able!!

Sherry
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    I just tried spaghetti squash for the first time and it is an amazing substitute for pasta!!! Add that into your weekly meals!
  • jessmcwade
    Options
    I like Whole Soy Yogurt and Udi's bread. You can get them at Whole Foods. Silk Soymilk is good but I also really love almond milk.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think that rice milk tastes the closes to "real" milk. Whole Foods store brand, 365, makes an awesome unsweetened rice milk that is super low cal and low carb. Rice Dream tastes ok but compared to whole foods brand nutritionally it's not as good. Both are in the database here.
  • Bridget_Dharma
    Options
    I know about Dairy Free foods because I'm vegan but some of my suggestions you'll want to watch for gluten.
    Milks- Silk Soy Milk (regular or lite vanilla), Rice Dream
    Yogurt- Silk Yogurt is good
    Butter- Earth Balance (vegetable based) and very good. Also make a shortening for baking.:smile:
    Ice Cream- Coconut Bliss (is bliss), Luna and Larry's, sorbets you'll want to watch for dairy.
    Cheese substitutes- tofu, different soy cheeses, nutritional yeast (full of B12 but not cheese textured)

Congrats on your wedding!
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    We buy Pacific Ultra soymilk, and most of the family likes it alright. I like it if I use it in cereal, but I'm really a cow milk kinda person, so I have to start milk substitutes IN things and not just go straight to plain. I think I've had the So Delicious vanilla yogurt, and liked it, couldn't tell much of a difference between that and the dairy ones actually whichever brand it was. You probably will want to try a few different things and pick which you like most or think you could get used to easiest.
  • Sherryishealthyandstrong
    Options
    Also wanted to note....

Be careful with soy items. Soy is ok when fermented like soy sauce, tofu, miso etc. but I've read some info that says processed soy items are problematic. Do your own research, google it or ask someone you trust. I am sort of a granola type but from what i've read all that processed soy protein and soy milk etc. is not good for you. Mimics estrogen in your body and too much estrogen sets you up for reproductive cancers. I stay away from soy unless it's fermented and even then only use it ocassionally.
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks guys this helps a lot!

Sherry- I will take you up on those emails for sure! I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for you!!

I have a lot of shopping to do lol! Keep the suggestions and tips coming!
  • cheyenne_sun
    Options
    Udi's breads are fantastic, and so are So Delicious coconut milk beverages, coffee creamer, yogurt, and kefir.