5 meal plan examples...please!

Options
Hey everyone! I've come to the conclusion that I think I may be starving my body and that is the reason my weightloss has been so very slow. Someone suggested to me to try and eat 5 small meals a day and that should increase my metabolism and my weight loss. Does anyone have a sample menu of a 5 meal plan that they can share with me? I have no idea what my meals should look like. Thanks in advance.

Laura

Replies

• EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    take your daily calories, divide them by 5, and you will get the amount of calories each small meal should be around. i know it's not recipes, but it's a way to help you figure out how the foods you like can fit into your numbers.
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    Hey! I eat three meals and two are three snacks in between. I take in 1420 cals, plus most of my exercise cals. Here is what a typrical day might look like:

Breakfast
    Coca-Cola Company - Diet Coke - 12 Fl oz Can, 12 fl oz
    Post Grapenuts - Cereal, 0.33 cup 132
    Tillamook Low Fat Yogurt - Marionberry, 6 OZ 180
    TOTAL: 312 cals

Snack
    Generic - Fuji Apple - Medium, 1 raw 80 22 0 5 1 0
    Skippy Smooth - Creamy Peanutbutter, 0.5 tbs 48
    TOTAL: 128 cals

Lunch
    Lean Cuisine - Meatloaf With Gravy and Whipped Potatoes, 1 package (265g)
    TOTAL: 260 ( I try to stay between 260-320 for lunch)

Snack
    Wasa - Multi Grain Crispbread, 2 slice 90
    the Laughing Cow - Light Original Swiss Cheese Wedges,2 wedge 70
    TOTAL: 160 cals

Dinner
    Homemade Spaghetti - Spaghetti W/ Meat Sauce, 1.5 cups 234
    Rudi's Organic Bakery - Sourdough Bread, 1.5 oz (43g) 110
    Trader Joe's - Organics Baby Spring Mix, 2 cups 15
    TOTAL: 368 cals

Evening snack
    Rudi's Organic Bakery - Sourdough Bread, 1.5 oz (43g) 110
    Skippy Smooth - Creamy Peanutbutter, 0.5 tbs 48
    TOTAL: 158 cals
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I've come to the conclusion that I think I may be starving my body and that is the reason my weightloss has been so very slow. Someone suggested to me to try and eat 5 small meals a day and that should increase my metabolism and my weight loss. Does anyone have a sample menu of a 5 meal plan that they can share with me? I have no idea what my meals should look like. Thanks in advance.

Laura

I do 3 main meals and 2 snacks. All 5 consist of both carb and protein combo here's a sample of what my snacks might look like:

serving of raw almonds/apple,
    1/2 banana, 1/2 T. Natural Nut butter (cashew nut, Natural Peanut or Almond nut butter, that type of thing)
    Wasa Crackers with 1 T. NPeanut Butter
    2 oz. natural turkey, healthy whole wheat bread
    1 oz. cheese, apple

So for me, it's what ever carb/protein I combine with at the time. My snack cals are less than my my main meals. Some ppl do eat all 5 equal or close equal cals.

Spreading the food throughout the day helps keep blood sugars regulated and keep the energy up.

Hopefully you'll get more feedback here and get some ideas from others:flowerforyou:

ediited to add: I do keep my breakfast cals the highest since we fast for so many hours when we sleep from our last meal plus it keeps my energy up throughout the day.

hth
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    breakfast - eggs (protein) mixed with veggies (like an omelet) whole grain toast with an all fruit spread
    snack - cottage cheese (protein, fat) with whole grain crackers (carb)
    lunch - whole grain bread (carb), turkey or tuna (protein) a slice of cheese (Protein, fat, calcium) with lettuce tomato - side salad loaded with whatever veggies you like balsamic vinegarette dressing
    snack - apple (carb) with natural peanut butter (protein, fat)
    dinner - whole grain pasta (carb), broccoli, mushrooms sauteed lightly in olive oil (fat), chicken breast (protein) all mixed together topped wiht a bit of parmesean cheese

There is a good day -- all items at serving size, add veggies in whereever you want.
    each meal should have a carb/protein and a healthy fat
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is what I ate today. It fit's into my calories, I never feel hungry or deprived and I think it is all tasty!
    Breakfast-2 cups of coffee w/ fat free creamer 2 scrambled eggs with 1tbs shredded reduced fat cheese and 2 slices of turkey bacon
    Snack- 1tbs cashew butter and 2tsp honey on a whole grain sandwich thin
    Lunch- Hummus wrap with turkey, lettuce, tomato on a WW tortilla
    Snack- Smoothie from Smoothie King (Be careful with this and check the nutritional info at the store)
    For dinner we are having chicken with roasted potatoes and fresh green beans

I have also found that switching to whole grains keeps me fuller longer and gives me more energy!
    Good luck with finding the foods that work for you!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My diary is public, and I plan my meals out 2 weeks at a time. Feel free to look! :)
  • cmyres
    cmyres Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/images/maf/209705/4110.pdf

Check that out, it's a high protein diet from Muscle and Fitness. If you print it out I think you may need to shrink the percentage to fit on the page.
    I stuck to it fairly well in Afghanistan for about three months, then I was aquatinted (and thin) enough to go on my own...
    (that was when my food was free...)
    I know you're thinking Protein shakes? I don't want to be mrs olympia!
    build the "lean muscle" translating in higher metabolism and burning fat!

If you notice the plan spreads everything out the 5 meals a day is a good plan, but small meals.

And eating smart is another... think about a whopper
    MAYO (FAT) , KETCHUP (FAT) , PICKLES (Free Food), ONIONS(veggie), LETTUCE(veggie), MEAT (protein), BUN (carb)
    did I skip anything?
    Anyway... grab your whopper every now and again, but go for a Jr. (SERIOUSLY)
    switch that mayo and ketchup for MUSTARD (free food, what's ketchup, sugar, vinegar, and a bit of red, mayo don't even go there)
    keep ur veggies, keep your little bit of bread (carbs/energy)
    you've already cut half of the calories, half of the fat!

That small example should get you off to an alright start.

Work hard, Play harder, Good Luck,
    Cory
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Wow, you are really organized! I am so impressed and your meals look good too! I do try to plan my meals out for each day, but can't get further than 24 hours ahead of myself.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump