Lowering Body Fat % maintaining weight?

Options
Hey there, I've been a long time lurker, most of my doubts have already being posted, but I didn't find anything about this one, so here it goes:

Right now I'm 5'3 and 112lbs (161cm and 51kg) at a 20.75% body fat aprox. I've been going to the gym for about 6 months, and my weight has been steady (I'm assuming noob gains along with losing fat).

I'm cutting because I want to lower my body fat, I used to eat 1200 cal but I upped it to 1450 (TDEE 2000)

The thing is, I want to lower my BF% to 15 but I don't want to lose any more weight, calculating it's losing around 5lbs (2.3kg) of fat and obviously packing it up in muscle.

I know that it's not too much but is it possible? Or do I have to bulk up a little to get that amout of muscle and then cut again? Also, if I keep eating as I am right now around how long would that take in either case?

Replies

• phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It may be possible, but the big question is why have you picked 15%?

How has your current 20.75% been calculated ? Website, scales, calipers, bod pod etc

Considering the minimum ideal BF is around 7-8% for men and 20-21% for women you would appear to be close to that if your current % is accurate. Are you doing this for a competition, sport or just to look good ?

Iv personally found you don't need to cut your calories too much to lose, just by eating healthy and making the right choices. I aim for 45 carb / 20 fat / 35 protein. My TDEE is 1900 and I've found 1600 cals works for me. I lost ~2st at 1200. Iv gone from 16% to 15% recently so far whilst keeping 140lbs. My aim is to stop when I have defined abs and look ace, I'm guessing its between 9-12% for my body but I'm in no rush.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Interested in any replies as I'd like to drop bodyfat but almost no more weight.. bump!
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It may be possible, but the big question is why have you picked 15%?

How has your current 20.75% been calculated ? Website, scales, calipers, bod pod etc

Considering the minimum ideal BF is around 7-8% for men and 20-21% for women you would appear to be close to that if your current % is accurate. Are you doing this for a competition, sport or just to look good ?

Iv personally found you don't need to cut your calories too much to lose, just by eating healthy and making the right choices. I aim for 45 carb / 20 fat / 35 protein. My TDEE is 1900 and I've found 1600 cals works for me. I lost ~2st at 1200. Iv gone from 16% to 15% recently so far whilst keeping 140lbs. My aim is to stop when I have defined abs and look ace, I'm guessing its between 9-12% for my body but I'm in no rush.

First of all thanks for answering :)

I calculated my BF 2 ways, by meaursing my hips, waist, wrist, forearm, neck, weight and height and by an electronic calculator in an elliptical machine, they both gave around the same result.

I want to have defined abs aswell, but also I'm pretty fluffy, even my muscles are soft, I want 15% because what I been reading for women to have visible abs your BF has to be below 17% BF, I even saw some parts where it said 10%, but I think that is waaaay too low, obviouslly I will stop if I get them before or feel sick.

For the estimate time, I'm in no rush either, but I'm a pretty square person and like to meaurse everything hehe

I'm aiming for 40 carb / 25 fat / 35 potein and I'm pretty comfortable eating 1450cal daily, sometimes I'm too full to even finish that.

So for what I read it, at least in your case it can be achieved, right? Any suggestions? :)
  • martintanz
    Options
    My understanding is, 15% is almost impossibly lean for women. You might get there, but also might find it hard to maintain. Here is a link to an article on the subject. http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others that your goal is very lean. That being said- it is possible to maintain weight while gaining muscle (or I would like to think so because I would like to think that I am doing it). Three months ago I hit my goal weight of 140. I am 5'5' and for several reasons I have picked this weight as where I want to be- but I have continued to both do cardio and weight lifting, 5-6 days a week. I feel stronger and have lost another inch from my waist since then as well as reduced my body fat %. It is a V E R Y slow process and takes a lot of patience and dedication to do.
  • maerieanne
    maerieanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard but I like to set my goals real high so during the time I hit my goal thinking I still need more time... pretty weird huh? :P
    I know BF it's just a number but i want to set a goal because if I don't I'll never take it seriously
    Almost imposible but doable so that's why I'm aiming there hehe

I know it's a reaaaal slow process but I just wanted to get an idea if it could be achieved so I didn't get stucked where I am and lose time :)
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have my BF measured via Bod Pod (one of the most accurate ways) and in June I was 17% at 112 lbs. A few weeks ago I had it remeasured after my marathon to see where I stood for the winter and I was the same weight and 14%; so yes it is possible. However I lift heavy and eat my TDEE of about 2000+ calories a day and have since June and my LBM went up so I did add muscle. Also how you will appear at a certain BF is very individual.