cheap ways to lose weight

Options
i am a college student with little money. my goal is to lose ten pounds but on a budget.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Eat clean, and walk to class. 1200-1500 calories a day, no soda, no fruit juices. Water water water water coffee for caffeine intake if needed NO Creamers.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises (pushups, pullups if you can find something to hang off of that will support you, squats, lunges, etc) are free.

With little money, spend it on good and filling foods and don't waste it on crap.

And what Duc said.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Diet is the most important factor. Calorie deficit = weight loss
  • jjscore2
    Options
    Pretty much what everybody else has said.. walking to class is great. Take the stairs, not the elevator if you have the opportunity. Eliminating soda and candy can make a huge difference. You don't need to go out and spend money on pills or programs that claim they can change your weight loss.. you still need to be good to your body and by exercising and eating right, I promise you'll get the results that you want! Plus, buying healthy food is cheaper and will make you feel much better than buying junk food :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add - this link takes you to chest exercises. Just use the checkboxes on the left hand side to navigate to other parts of the body. I recommend primarily searching for compound exercises with either "Body" or "None" checked for equipment type.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/finder/lookup/filter/muscle/id/1/muscle/chest
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Running, walking, body weight exercises, all free (except for clothes of course). As for food, I found that I saved a lot of money with portion control. Eat less, spend less. Made Costco sized things go farther.
  • jnnfr_klein
    Options
    what about diet sodas
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Actually, we noticed last week we were spending 1/2 the money on food eating more healthfully. Sodas and treats are an unnecessary waste of money! Plus we pack lunches instead of going out!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We definitely spend less on groceries now that I don't vacuum the cupboards and refrigerator clean with my mouth. Losing weight is definitely cheaper than gaining it.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Google diet soda and weight gain or loss. Seems some studies show that diet soda contributes to weight gain. I dunno. Rarely buy diet or regular soda. Waste of money imo. I like water and tea. Once in a while black coffee if its good, but doc told me to stay away from caffeine so I drink less tea. Not giving up my tea!

I don't see anything good in soda ..... period. Wouldn't having something sweet just cause you to crave more sweets? I really don't know. I try to stay away from sweets except for fruit. Still go over my sugar goal that mfp has but am not too worried bout it as long as its fruit.

Beans are cheap food and good for you if you are looking for cheap food. Lentils are easy to cook. Frozen veggies are good too! And fruit in season.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    use the gym at the college ..its included in the tuition . aldi's is usually a less expensive way to go ..or local markets ..always check out sales every week . brown rice ,oatmeal , canned tuna , peanut butter , boneless skinless chicken breast .. if you find it on sale . i usually get it for 1.69-1.99lb but at least im not paying for skin and bones ..turkey is less expensive now .i just bought a couple of whole turkeys at .48lb