Trying to cut back on the coffee/sugar

Options
I hate coffee without sugar, but am disgusted by the way the carbs add up and want to cut this aspect of caloric intake out completely. What are other GOOD yet low caloric ways to gain energy that coffee would provide. I am that B**** in the morning until I have first cup of coffee....

Replies

• crazymom23boys1girl
    Options
    I don't know, but I struggle with this too. I've tried putting my coffee in a teacup, which reduces the amount of coffee and therefore the sugar too. I've tried measuring 1 tsp of sugar into a regular cup of coffee and getting used to the less-sweet taste. I've tried switching to caffeinated tea, which requires less sugar to taste sweet. I've finally gone back to drinking my beloved regular-sized cup of coffee with cream and sugar and just trying to reduce sugar intake elsewhere. Sometimes you just need a reason to get out of bed in the morning, you know?
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You could try a quality brand of Green Tea as it is caffinated & has antioxidents. I am a morning coffee person too and I hate splenda & can't have sugar or any of it's family members so I've recently discovered NuNaturals brand liquid Stevia & it's not bad in coffee. It doesn't have that bitter aftertatse like Stevia in the raw or Sweet Leaf brand stevia. I'm still working with the creamers though I'm looking for one that is non-dairy w/o all the crap in it and low in sodium & sugar free. Good luck!
  • simpleejenn
    Options
    I won't waste money on Splenda or an similar product that is process so much!! Sugar is bad enough, if I cant have something COMPELTELY natural to compensate with the caffiene issue, then I would rather have the sugar and just deal with it :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Drink coffee!!! Use a packet of artificial sweetener. Worried about aspartame?

Aspartic Acid are amino acids and there's a much higher concentration of these aminos in a measly 4oz chicken breast than there is in diet soda. 1 Banana will yield more methanol than a 12oz can of soda. The dosage limits that can cause any issues are VERY HIGH, and you'd have to consume massive amounts to even detect any increased levels in a blood test. Cliffs: Diet soda is fine if you don't get headaches from it, and a very small % of people do. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671
  • simpleejenn
    Options
    don't drink soda, anyhow ;)
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I won't waste money on Splenda or an similar product that is process so much!! Sugar is bad enough, if I cant have something COMPELTELY natural to compensate with the caffiene issue, then I would rather have the sugar and just deal with it :)

Stevia is completly natural, it is a plant of the Asteraceae (sunflower) family, the leaves of which have been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. It's the brand that you need to worry about, that's why I made the suggestion of using NuNaturals it taste just like sugar w/o having to use as much of it.