Eating Out - Healthy

Options
I was just looking for suggestions of how to stay healthy while eating out. I generally bring my own lunch to work, but on Fridays (today) I cannot, so I am forced to pick something up. Where do you go and what do you get that does not destroy your day?

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Anything you want within your calorie goals. Subway is fairly low calnif you cut out sauces and cheese. The food Nazi's wont like that tho.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would also say Subway...I always go for the Veggie sub..not too bad calorie wise...
    Anywhere else, I'd stick with a salad, or a grilled chicken sandwich....
    Just pull up the restaurant first and check the calories BEFORE you get there...that way you already know what to get.
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    thanks, I was thinking a veggie wrap from subway, I will look it up now :-)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Anything you want within your calorie goals. Subway is fairly low calnif you cut out sauces and cheese. The food Nazi's wont like that tho.

foodpolice.jpg
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

foodpolice.jpg

Thats a food jew, i think.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would try a grocery store, which has healthier stuff like produce and you can look at the labels of what you buy; or try a chain restaurant that has their calorie counts online, that way you can pick what you are going to get before you go to the restaurant. Hope this helps! I'm going to send you a friend request.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You called?
    thanks, I was thinking a veggie wrap from subway, I will look it up now :-)

Except that without the sauces and cheese and meat, the only meaningful calories will be from the bread...and there has to be a better choice than a meal of bread (with a side of mixed veggies). How about a steak with a side of veggies?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would try a grocery store, that way you can look at the labels of what you buy, or a chain restaurant that has their calorie counts online, that way you can pick what you are going to get before you go to the restaurant. Hope this helps! I'm going to send you a friend request.

Good point. My daily lunch involves a grocery store for some broccoli and cauliflower for a salad, accompanied by some fish from the seafood dept (because they'll cook it for me), and recently, some surprisingly decent sushi.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Eh. If you plan it out, you can have the sauces and cheese, too. :-) I don't get Subway anymore simply because they don't have swiss cheese anymore, but a sub is a sub is a sub, so I get mine elsewhere.

You can eat healthy ANYWHERE. Most menus (even for local places) are posted on their websites, too, so you can pick a place you like and figure out ahead of time what you want and plan your day around that.
  • mhaight85
    Options
    Like the others - anything that's within your calorie goals. Be careful with salads though, don't be fooled into thinking all salads are low fat and/or low calorie! If it has chicken, always go with roasted or baked instead of fried. Ask for the dressing on the side so you can control how much goes on. Try light or fat free dressings. Or salsa, that's what I use as my salad dressing now. Also, stay away from croutons!

Restaurants have an amazing way of taking something healthy and turning into junk food. :O)
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like Panera Bread, lots of good choices if your smart about it, just stick to the salads and soups - most sandwiches have higher calories. Plus they list the calories on the menu so it makes selecting a smart choice easy.
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always make sure I dont eat the WHOLE meal, whether it is half or even 1/4 of the meal left. Calories are calories! Eating out can seem scary....but I try to go with healthier plates and less portions!
  • holly78
    holly78 Posts: 347
    Options
    Hi! I would try a grocery store, which has healthier stuff like produce and you can look at the labels of what you buy; or try a chain restaurant that has their calorie counts online, that way you can pick what you are going to get before you go to the restaurant. Hope this helps! I'm going to send you a friend request.

Hadn't considered going to the grocery store, although as i type that it sounds ridiculous
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I like Panera Bread, lots of good choices if your smart about it, just stick to the salads and soups - most sandwiches have higher calories. Plus they list the calories on the menu so it makes selecting a smart choice easy.

If you do Panera, keep in mind that no matter what you choose, you'll see a decent change on the scale the next day because they basically bathe that food in sodium! But of course water weight goes away after a few days.
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Try the Chili From Wendys! A large only has 310 calories and has 26g of protein and a ton of Fiber. Great in the cold months! Just skip the cheese and the white crackers. Great lunch!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There are smart choices to be made on every menu.

Boss took us out to lunch at a nice local Bar and Grill for lunch last week. I was pleasenty surprised to see a nice lite menu. They had a turkey burger (which my wife got), soft chicken tacos (which I got), grilled catfish and about 3-4 other choices. All of which had the calorie totals on the menu.

If you are going to a nationwide chain like Panera Bread, Genghis Grill or Subway always check out the nutritional info on their websites. Most have really good guides.

Just got to choose wisely. There are times when you can't avoid going to a restuarant.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I had Subway today (it's in my diary) 6" on wheat, oven roasted chicken breast, spinach, tomaotes, cucumbers, banana peppers, and a squeeze of chipotle southwest sause!
  • jaforgie
    jaforgie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We had dinner out the other night at Subway. Got a chicken breast on flatbread. Loaded with veggies and a little bit of honey mustard! Delish!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    If you really want to eat out healthy, make sure she washes first.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I like Jimmy John's unwiches (lettuce wraps) - high protein, low cal/carb (but high sodium).
    Subway also has salads - I had the double chicken chopped salad the other day and it was pretty good.

Sushi places can be good - I will get teriyaki grilled chicken, some grilled veggies, only eat a tiny bit of rice.

I totally splurged today on a loaded turkey burger and sweet potato fries. I will be drinking water for dinner LOL!