Advice on indoor cycle trainers

Options
I'm looking to buy one for my boyfriend as a surprise. Does this look a good one. There is a huge range and I don't know what I'm looking for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CycleOps-Classic-Magneto-Trainer-Incl/dp/B000BT8VOW/ref=lp_2372617031_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1352481272&sr=1-21

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Indoor trainers were one of the topics of conversation at my tri club session this week.

The group seemed pretty even split between magnetic and fluid (I use a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - it's one of the fluid ones). There were a number using CycleOps magnetic trainers and they all seemed happy with them (it's a reputable brand)

If you do get him a trainer (great present BTW) make sure you get a trainer tire too (different rubber compound, trainers are really hard on regular tires)
  • btwalsh132
    btwalsh132 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm in the market as well. Done some reserach and if I pull the trigger I will buy same as BrianSharpe (above)....Kurt Kinetics Fluid trainer.
  • Emyback1968
    Options
    We also have a Kurt Kinectic Road Machine and love it. My husband got it last year after much research.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    The Kurt Kinetic Road is one of the better ones. When you do give him the trainer, make sure you point him to TrainerRoad.com also. Great workouts/plans with virtual power.

Another good alternative is turbocrank.com.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    And while your at TrainerRoad, look at the list of trainers they can pull virtual power from. If he doesn't have a power meter, it's a pretty good choice.

(KK Road Machines are sweet though. I've got a Performance house brand Mag that I like. It was also $300 cheaper than a KK)
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic!!! I got the idea from another post I put up. MFP is GREAT!!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    The kurt kinetic road is probably more than I was planning to spend. In what way is it better than the one I originally posted.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I've been doing research and reviews seem to say fluid is smoother and quieter. He will use it in the garage and rides for fitness and enjoyment, not for racing. Is a magnetic one ok as they are cheaper or shoukd I spend the extra.
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    CycleOps makes an awesome trainer. Kurt Kinetic is really nice too.

You won't go wrong with either one.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks. I think I'm going to get the cycle ops Fluid2. Good choice?
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    That is a really awesome present!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks. Amazon will let you return anything bought from 1 November, up until end of Jan so if he doesntmlike it, I can send it back m