Hello.....HELP!!

Options
I'm trying this again..... I am 29 years old. I weighed 198lbs when I left for my honeymoon... 2 1/2 years later, I'm over 250.

I need help motivating myself!!

What do you do when some awesome smelling food is offered to you?

What do you do when you are out with friends?

How about at a party or a bar?

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I just remember that i dont need food to have fun. Its not easy. I also remember that my wife and kids need me to be healthy.
  • PinkLu
    PinkLu Posts: 10
    Options
    Honestly, I pull out my pocket mirror and take a good look. Giving into all those temptations is what got me here today. Everytime I look in that mirror, it reminds me why I am doing this. Good luck!
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    Try to eat something before you go out. Being hungry when I'm out always seems to lead me to bad choices.

373158.png
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    fat guitarist hehe. neways... im with you on the party at the bar. alcohol is so many calories but i LOVE to drink. And not to get tipsy...to get drunk! So, 10 shots of black velvet is way too much unless that's all the calories I consume that day. What a bummer! I can't get wasted anymore?? Maybe just a once-a-month party won't be so bad >:-)
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps and practice passing on fatty foods and alcohol. It will eventually become a habit. Make it your goal this weekend to say no to the things you shouldn't have and then at the end of the night, I promise, you will be very happy with your success!

I give myself a 'treat' meal once a week (that is one meal on Friday night, not the whole day), but I make sure I stay within my calories (including exercise calories). Give it a shot and tell yourself if you do well all week then you get your treat at the end!
  • SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh and have you tried Bud Select 55?? It really isn't bad... and if you do want to get tipsy eat a light meal like a salad with no croutons!

Select 55 is 3.2% alcohol by volume and most other beers are 5-5.5% alcohol by volume.
  • kingking
    kingking Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am not ready to give up drinking. My doc wanted me to (he generally frowns at any alcohol consumption) and suggested that all my weight problems would be solved by cutting alcohol out.

And that's what led me to MFP because I knew deep down that the 2000 calorie burritos I ate for lunch every day were worse for me than 2-4 glasses of wine a night. So I logged my calories and discovered that 1) Yes, 2000 calorie burritos were a major source of my calorie intake and 2) So were 1000 calorie breakfasts and 2000 calorie dinners. 400 calories of red wine was almost noise in that mix.

My strategy is to track my calories and make smart choices - I drink when I feel like it and have calories to spare. Yes, I'm drinking less than I used to - but that's OK...A quick look at my diary (it's open to everyone) will show that I still have my party nights. I balance them with workouts and other (hopefully) sane choices.
  • jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    amen kingking!!!! *high five*
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    In regards to drinks, I have learned to cut my white wine with seltzer water to minimize calories; plus have learned to love seltzer water with a lime or lemon in it all by itself and I "feel" like I am drinking. Sometimes it really is just a head game!

Foodwise, I just finally got fed up with myself and reached a point that I was commited to losing weight, so turning down food became a little easier. But on that note, I always carry healthy snacks with me, so that I don't feel deprived. I have also "trained" my friends, that if they are really friends and want to encourage and support my efforts, they will not undermine them by pushing food on me.

If you have great discipline, putting a tablespoon of something that smells really great on your plate if a way to satisfy your urge, but again, you have to have the discipline to stop yourself and something healthy to reach for in place of it.

It is a difficult situation when out with friends and food and drinks are flowing and it appears that no one is counting calories but you. I feel your pain, as I think most of us trying to lose weight do. Hopefully you can implement some of the many ideas being offered to you and find several that work. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up; just start over as many times as necessary!!! good luck!
  • raleighgoodwins
    raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's really tough I know. I try to keep snacks on hand that will satisfy my cravings in a healthy way - like 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn, or those 100 calorie Oreo snack crisps to satisfy that chocolate craving. Fresh fruit with whipped cream can also be really good and not have too many calories - particularly berries.

At a restaurant, I try to order things that are on the healthy side - fish, chicken, salads. And I ask for the dressing on the side.

When out with friends - this is more difficult - but I try to have a glass of water in between beers! takes up some room and keeps me from having as many.

One thing I do that has been helpful to me is PLAN AHEAD! If you are going out to a restaurant, go online and try to find the nutritional value information and then plan what you will have. I try to do this daily - even when I eat at home - because dinner is usually the most difficult meal for me (eating with the family). I also have some 'light' cookbooks and recipes on hand that recently my husband, who does the cooking, has been using (because I left it out for him!). Substituting low cal items in recipes and measuring food makes a big difference.

Finally, I found a walking buddy (my neighbor) and we have been walking 4x per week. that allows me to have extra calories on those days.

It takes a lot of work but you can do it! I know you can. Really it's planning ahead and changing habits and asking for support when you need it.

Good Luck!
  • supermodelwannabe
    Options
    :happy:
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    You just have to tell yourself it's not worth it. You can do it you just need self control & will power. I will grab or feel my belly & know that anything bad will only add to it not take away from.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    it's very difficult at first, but after a few weeks, it'll get easier. hang in there honey. think about this...":nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".
  • danielleca
    danielleca Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to try and limit my nights out to once or twice a week. Also, when you're just starting to clean up your nutrition, focus on one thing at a time. One week your focus may be too cut out sweets or drink more water or add a couple servings of fruits and veggies. Before you know it, you'll be strong and in control. The most important thing is to keep your focus and start right back up again if you slip. You're never going to be 100%, but you will see results when you continually focus on improving and doing better than you did yesterday.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Danielle
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Hey,

Keep your chin up, be patient with yourself, you can do it :)
  • mamtz26
    mamtz26 Posts: 22
    Options
    Wow I was looking at how much weight you've lost and wondering what words of advice you might have...I say this cause my docter's want me to lose 150 ibs or more and that goal just felt impossible....so I started makeing small goals just looking forward to seeing the tenth place go down from 320 to 310 to 300 til finally I can see a 5 in the tens place but its just not getting easier. So when I saw your goal to lose 280 lbs it just blew me away ....cause your so close and you look great!!!
  • fatguitarist
    fatguitarist Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice and encouragement everyone! It means a lot to see that other people are going through the same thing I am and that others have succeeded!

Mark
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I was 220, when my Navy Career was at stake, for a while I gave up all of those things, going out to eat etc etc. It was really difficult i mean REALLY difficult. The key for me was accountability, knowing someone I trusted was going to check up on me, and hold me accountable to my own goals. I would suggest finding a friend who isn't afraid of hurting your feelings or being blunt, and stick to the calories based on what the website says for you. Only put food in your body that you know it is, and is healthy. Also important...if you are good for 6 days in a row reward your self, and splurge, a little go out to eat or have some ice cream whatever you weakness is. That's what's worked for me anyway.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh and have you tried Bud Select 55?? It really isn't bad... and if you do want to get tipsy eat a light meal like a salad with no croutons!

Select 55 is 3.2% alcohol by volume and most other beers are 5-5.5% alcohol by volume.

Unless you live in OK, where all beer sold cold is 3.2%.... So for me Select 55 is the same alcohol content that I've always been use to. It's really not a bad beer though, it does taste a little watered down but for half the calories I'll take it! Plus after a few of them, you won't know the difference! :drinker:
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    I am not ready to give up drinking. My doc wanted me to (he generally frowns at any alcohol consumption) and suggested that all my weight problems would be solved by cutting alcohol out.

And that's what led me to MFP because I knew deep down that the 2000 calorie burritos I ate for lunch every day were worse for me than 2-4 glasses of wine a night. So I logged my calories and discovered that 1) Yes, 2000 calorie burritos were a major source of my calorie intake and 2) So were 1000 calorie breakfasts and 2000 calorie dinners. 400 calories of red wine was almost noise in that mix.

My strategy is to track my calories and make smart choices - I drink when I feel like it and have calories to spare. Yes, I'm drinking less than I used to - but that's OK...A quick look at my diary (it's open to everyone) will show that I still have my party nights. I balance them with workouts and other (hopefully) sane choices.

I loooooooove burritos. I, too, used to eat a burrito a day. I have never counted the calories or fat grams that I used to inhale at my favorite taco shop - I would probably cry. But I do miss them!

As for drinking, I stick to vodka/soda with a lemon and a lime and what the heck, sometimes an orange and a cherry, a whole fruit salad! I absolutely hate it. And because of that, I drink a lot less of it. I also alternate that with a bottled water (or a glass of water, whatever). And I limit myself to drinking every other week. A trick I used for awhile was to always offer to be the DD so that way no one would even suggest that I get a drink. Then I would drink diet soda all night, it's a lot cheaper too!

I had to break up with beer. :brokenheart: Our love for each other was too strong. It took awhile, but I've moved on.