bananas?

Options
I've heard so many things about bananas when dieting or "changing your lifestyle". The biggest surprise was, "Don't eat bananas". How do you guys feel about it?

I LOVE BANANAS!

Replies

• KristysLosing
    Options
    Why are people saying not to eat them? Potassium! And they are a fruit, right? And I'm all for everything in moderation!!!
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for you!! Especially for exercise! They have electrolytes to keep you hydrated. I nibble on one during tennis tournaments. Plus they are somewhat filling.
  • mrclark09
    mrclark09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday after my workouts along with a protein shake. Sometimes I will blend them together. Banana's are a carb and a little higher in calories than say an apple or grapes, but your body needs the complex carbs like fruits and veggie for energy, not to mention all of the vitamins and nutrients in banana's. So have your banana girl!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's just a complete bunch of BS. I love bananas too!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Bananas are not a bad thing. They have carbs / sugars, yes, but no more than some other healthy fruits.

http://www.nourishingtreasures.com/index.php/2012/03/12/five-fruits-with-the-highest-sugar-load/

They are still good for you. If you listen to "hype" you'll hear about a million things that are "bad". Just go with your gut and eat non gmo foods and all.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i hear a lot of people very negative about them,,,, it is on my top list,,,,, i have one a day 7 days a week no matter what!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Just tell 'em that shiz is bananas b-a-n-a-n-a-s! I love bananas and they are great!

I think of that song whenever I hear banana, lol
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    And here, I thought this thread was about....wait, what?
  • Lennox497
    Lennox497 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Not eating bananas is a crime!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    no way people will try and spit you any kind of gimmick for weight loss. I always see those lists of
    5 foods never to eat" and they're all bull
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i have never liked bananas, so I dont have a problem with not eating them :laugh: ...

the most dull fruit ever existed.. among apples. yuck
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana every day before I workout. It's pretty delicious. The end.
  • KmusicheartBTS
    KmusicheartBTS Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat about 25 bananas per day, I don't think it's detrimental to your fitness goals. Bananas have many vitamins and minerals in them, although much sugar too. But again, moderation is the key. How about one banana per day or two?
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Not eating bananas is a crime!

What he said ^^^^
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says "Don't eat bananas" is clueless about nutrition. Don't EVER take nutrition advice from such a person.
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a banana every morning - a good source of potassium, but not even in the top-10 (which surpised the heck out of me). Dates, sweet and regular potatoes, swiss chard, spinach & orange juice all have more potassium than bananas
  • fitblondebaker22
    Options
    Apples and bananas EVERY day. Apple for one of my snacks, banana in my protein smoothie. Can't go wrong!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly care for them, but I will eat one on occasion (especially in the summer). I eat them just slightly ripe--less fructose--because the riper a banana gets, the more the starch is converted to fructose. Maybe it is just my Nordic ancestry but I find that all tropical fruit doesn't digest very well for me.:sick:
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 or 3 everyday except when we are out of them.
  • phillips0911
    Options
    My sister used to work for a popular fitness company that did meal plans... They said that bananas had to be limited to like 1/2 of one per day, if that. I say THATS BANANAS. I eat one everyday. My protein shake would suck without it! I'm sure just as with anything, moderation is key. :)