2 years ago today I hit goal weight, Still here!!! :)

Options
Tamishumate
Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
I blogged about my thoughts on it this morning, link is here: http://finallyfitatforty.blogspot.com/

But this was what I wrote. :

Thursday, November 8, 2012
Two years ago today I reached my goal weight
I can not believe it has been two years. I remember that day so well, I was in the midst of getting ready for the today show,(I was leaving in a few days for it), and I stepped on the scale and there it was, 144. ( goal was 145) I felt so many emotions that morning, but all I could think was " all my hard work has paid off". Had someone told me that that was the easy part, I would have laughed at them.

It has also been just shy of one year ( 11 months ) that I started my year of major injuries. it Started last December with my shoulder injury ( and till this day I am still dealing with pain and lack of strength with it ). That seemed like the worst thing that could have happened to me , taking away any upper body strength training for 6 months. But then I was hit with the lower body injuries in July, and since the first week in august I had to stop all exercise. I wasnt even cleared to swim or bike till 2 weeks ago. First I tore my calf muscle , then while that was healing I had a major injury to my foot, stress fracture and tendon damage. after xrays, bone scans, and now am MRI, and 3 months later, I am still dealing with daily swelling and pain. I got the OK to go back to the gym when I told my DR that I needed to go back, if not for my physical health, but for my mental health , I think he understood that, and said I could as long as I stayed no impact, ( bike and elliptical if I do not have pain) .

I have been back two weeks and I am feeling so much better. It has been a very long , and hard year, dealing with all the injuries, making major life changes, ( Move, New Job, ect) and I have had bouts of sadness. when I wasnt able to go to the gym, my old ways wanted to come back. I wanted to sit around and eat, or drink and it was a constant battle every day to not over indulge ( EVERY DAY). I needed to get back into my old ways of the past 4 years, eating healthy and working out. I need to feel good about myself , and how I look. Some people may think that is a selfish way to think and be, but for ME ,I need to do that. I have spent 20 years hating the way I looked, and I can not go back to that, not after spending the last few years loving the person I saw in the mirror. Even if I can not go all gun ho like I have in the past at the gym ( I am not running any races anytime soon, that is for sure) I have to go back, and push myself and do what I am ok to do without causing further injury.

As I type this I may not be at the goal weight I was two years ago, or even one year ago , (in fact, I am 14 pounds heavier than my goal weight, ) I do see that goal weight of 144 back in site, I feel the old Tami coming back out , and I will be back in my jeans in no time :) ( I have to be, I refuse to spend money on new ones , lol )

It has been a tough flippin year, and I am happy to say I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Thought I would share with the site that has helped me be successful. If you ever wonder if you still need to log your foods after you hit goal weight, I hope this answers you .. :)

Replies

• tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for posting this.
    As someone who has just begun this round of trying to get healthy, this is truely inspirational. The fact that you have been able to maintain the majority of your weightloss allows me to see it is possible. Often times we get to a goal and then oops,it all comes back and then some. you are proof that to maintain it must be a life change, and it works.
    Im so glad you have achieved all that you have.
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    Thank you. MFP has been an amazing tool for me these past four years. I couldnt have done it without logging all my foods and seeing what I was doing. Not to mention the great support team of people I have met here over the years :)

Good luck to you!!! :)
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Losing all that weight is amazing, but keeping it off despite adversity - that's truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing and all your encouragement. I'd wish you good luck, but you clearly don't need it - you MAKE all your good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    Losing all that weight is amazing, but keeping it off despite adversity - that's truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing and all your encouragement. I'd wish you good luck, but you clearly don't need it - you MAKE all your good luck!:flowerforyou:

Thanks so much! It is so hard to figure it all out, here I am two years later, still trying to figure it all out :) Best wishes to you!

Tami
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a never ending journey...I think maintenance is just as hard as losing it.
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    You are a true inspiration thanks for sharing
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about all your problems but, you know, it was actually good for me to read - and be reminded that - reaching goal isn't the end. So thanks for sharing that and good luck with getting back to goal.

You look fantastic, by the way. You don't even look like the same person you were when you started!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    love it and love you....soooo happy you are sticking it out since you made the commitment for life....it is what it is and you have modified as best you can while working out the injuries that continue to plague you...thank you for being my friend and for continuing to inspire me every day with your dedication to your new life....you rock being healthy tami....
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and thanks for sharing. Very inspirational!
  • healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    inspiring! And I appreciate that your motivation is yourself. Wonderful! :smile:
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    love it and love you....soooo happy you are sticking it out since you made the commitment for life....it is what it is and you have modified as best you can while working out the injuries that continue to plague you...thank you for being my friend and for continuing to inspire me every day with your dedication to your new life....you rock being healthy tami....

Thank you!!! You have been there to watch so much of this journey, and you have been a great support for me too!! <3
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a never ending journey...I think maintenance is just as hard as losing it.

and if I thought the first year of maintaining was hard, the second year with all the injuries was a huge eye opener!

its hard to maintain, its harder when you can not workout , its even harder to be the fat person I once was.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    WOW, super awesome for you. It's hard for me to think that being healthy is equated to being selfish...someone out there has a strange thought process. YOU are awesome and thank you for sharing your continued success.
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    WOW, super awesome for you. It's hard for me to think that being healthy is equated to being selfish...someone out there has a strange thought process. YOU are awesome and thank you for sharing your continued success.

so true... Who would think that ? people do, sadly.

Thank you :)
  • Goddesskat
    Goddesskat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi:

You certainly inspired me today. I just joined this program a week ago. I'm so motivated to help myself. I ache all the time from being overweight and arthritis and old injuries etc. The weight makes it all worse. I'm logging all my intake and I've decided to do an exercise program too so I don't get any hanging skin. I think it's best for me to do it the right way once and for all. I've been on the path to healthy living 3 times in this lifetime, this is time number 4 that I'm making a major shift with health. I do well for a few years and then I fall off. The longest I went maintaining a healthy weight was seven years.
    I met someone and started to put junk into my life and lo and behold that weight all came back again and then some. I swore I wouldn't do that again. Next time, I was fat when I found a man and then I decided to get healthy and I stopped everything when I was going through a tradgic time with losing my husband unexpectedly. I'm an emotional eater is what I come up with after this episode. I need to learn to handle my emotions a lot better than by eating comfort food to comfort me while I'm in grief over whatever. Anyhow, this time, I have decided that I have all the ammunition I need to get myself back on track and just reading your story about maintainance helped me to realize that this is normal that we go through stuff and sometimes we slide back a little. The key as you said is to just don't give up and stop, it's to continue in spite of it and watch the results. So, thank you again for sharing today. I appreciate it and this will be in my memory bank for when I don't feel good or think I can't go on. (((HUGS))):smile:
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    First....You are one amazing lady....Your journey was the first I saw when joining MFP simply because you were on the main page of the site....So just to see those pics and the process was inspiring enough....Keep at it...you have done great...and thanks for sharing...Congrats....Happy 2yrs
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Tami – love your story and your message! Way to go reaching your goal and ever better, working so hard to maintain it. Such an inspiration….glad that we are friends. :happy:
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    thank you for this inspirational story!!! wonderful!
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Simply magnificent!
  • tatebos
    tatebos Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Tami,

I hit my goal weight of 145 about 1 month ago. I started January 3, 2012 at 201lbs and I am currently at 141lbs. I find your story very inspiring and I hope that I can deal with injuries and set-backs the way you have. You are so right when you say that losing the weight is the easy part and keeping it off while dealing with life is going to be difficult. I am so fearful of the holiday season as I love to cook and bake all of my family's favorites. I think MFP will be the key to staying on track. Good luck to you and I hope that you continue to bounce back from your injuries. Thank you again for your inspirational post, hopefully in two years I will be able to write a similar one.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!