need help popping ears!!!

Options
hi guys, had a recent sinus infection which also managed to plug one of my ears. its been making me feel really dizzy for a couple of days almost to the point of feinting. ive heard pinching your nose and blowing isnt the best way to pop your ears safely so wondered if anyone had any advice on the best way of doing it!! many thanks you lovely people

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Chew gum or plug your ears and swallow (or just swallow).
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yawn.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    My ears feel plugged fairly often and sometimes either yawning or holding my nose and swallowing does the trick. Sometimes though, I've found it has more to do with my sinuses and I have to resort to OTC meds - either something to help drain them, or to dry them out depending on the time of year.

I feel for you about it getting so bad that you feel dizzy. I get like that sometimes, and I get motion sick fairly easy so if I get dizzy I also get motion sick. (A concussion that made me dizzy was a lot of fun - NOT!) If that happens, I also take a dramamine and that helps.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    my friend (who is an RN) says to NEVER hold your nose and blow to pop, she says you can cause MORE damage (ruptured eardrums) and create another infection in your ears.

I like taking a hot shower and yawning...the steam can help relieve the pressure.
  • amh50530
    amh50530 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to get sinus infections from my allergy problems all the time. I found taking any medication for drainage helped dry up the mucus that had gotten into my ear. Be careful though - if the dizziness persists and you don't get any relief from meds, I would go to the doctor. I've gotten a few ear infections after waiting too long to do anything!
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Neti pot! Best thing ever for any sinus issues, and stuff ears are usually a sinus issue.

I was so grossed out by the mere thought of the neti pot, I avoided it for years. Finally, I broke down and tried it. What a difference it makes!

Get the Neil Med net pot with the pre-mixed packets.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have this problem a LOT. I went to the ENT several years ago and was told that I had smaller than normal eustachian tubes in my ears, and that they were the culprits in my ear popping problem. Short of getting surgery, the ENT told me to take a decongestant/yawn/chew gum... pretty much everything everyone else has already said. But she also recommended something called 'Earplanes' to help me with pop my ears when I fly. I don't know if they'll help you with sinus congested ears, but they may be worth a try. they're just little earplug type things that help regulate the pressure in your ears. You can find them in any drug store. Hope it clears up for you soon, I know how miserable it can be :flowerforyou:
  • Leah2975
    Leah2975 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ive had ear pressure/ ear infections due to the mucus and small eustachian tubes my whole life. after being on numerous antibiotics, had tubes put in several times, and taken tons and tons of sudafed, i realized that pinching my nose and popping my ears was the only way to get my eustachian tubes to open up and drain out. while yes, you can rupture an eardrum this way, you would have to blow excessive pressure into the inner ear canal. pinch your nose, and start gently, continuing to up the pressure until you feel the pop. tilt you head back and then side to side, and you should feel some drainage down the back of your throat. combine this with sudafed, or mucinex-d (the kind behind the counter at the pharmacy) and it should let up in no time.