Recommended Sugar intake

Options
I recently added Sugar & Fiber to my list of things for MFP to count in my foods. Apparently te recommended amount of sugar not to exceed is 24g. I made a new smoothie the other day whch was super yummy but when I entered it into my food diary, it calculation a whopping 21g of suger- almost ALL of my alloted sugar recommendation! The smoother had strawberries, peachs, mangos, milk, yogurt and vanilla protein powder. I think that seems super healthy and full of goodness but yikes, that amount of sugar was alarming. Did I do something wrong? Is that really the amount of sugar I should have in a day? That seems crazy to me! Someone please explain. I want to have smoothe again - it was tasty ( :

Replies

• nirvanadaze
    Options
    Found this on allexperts.com

"There is no current RDA for sugar. However, in describing the Food Guide Pyramid, the USDA suggests intakes ranging from 6% to 10% of total daily calories (a range of 6 to 18 teaspoons depending on the total energy intake) from added sugars. Based on a 2,000 calorie diet that would be about 30 to 50 grams of ADDED sugar. I am guessing that is where they got the 40 grams. Therefore, the 40 grams they talked about in the article is from ADDED sugar. That does NOT include natural sugars such as those found in dairy products and fruit.
    The Institute of Medicine's Food and Nutrition Board suggests, on the basis of analysis, and other evidence-based information, that a maximal intake of 25% of calories from added sugars would ensure that dietary quality could be maintained. Any higher level could result in diets of poorer quality.
    So as long as you keep foods with added sugars to a minimum and try to eat whole foods more often you should be fine!
    Hope that helps you out,
    Kim Tessmer, RD LD"

So natural sugars, which are the ones you're talking about, don't matter.
  • Rcasey1985
    Options
    The poster above me gave a very good, thorough answer, but I just wanted to add that if you are using a pre-chopped, frozen mix of fruits to make sure that it does not have added sugar. I noticed this weekend when I bought my berry mix for smoothies that some of the frozen fruit had ADDED sugar. Just make sure if you're buying frozen fruit for smoothies that on the ingredients sugar isn't listed.
  • RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel the same...who knew there was so much sugar in simple things like bread and fruits and milk products etc... iv been eating really good and im shocked everyday when my sugar is way in the negative...id hate to give up healthy smoothies!!!!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    YIppee - I can eat my tasty smoothie ( :
    Thanks for all the help! I wish the Sugar gauge was a little more accurate on here though. When my sugar intake looks through the roof in my food diary each day it is a little discouraging.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    It's not Myfitness pal, it's the FDA who allows labeling that does not differentiate between naturally occuring and added sugars. Dairy and fruit sugars are going to appear in your diary as sugar. You will just have to look at them and know the difference.

There is no way to "catch" the difference in a software program if there is not a differentiation on the label.

Eat whole foods only. Read carefully the labels of processed foods. Come to the thread below in my signature, we talk alot about that.