Am I helping my plateau?

Options
Hey guys! I recently read somewhere on here that when you hit a plateau, an attempt to fake out your metabolism is to just have one day where you eat anything you want and then after that you eat healthy/clean for a week or 2. Well, coming from a girl who is set at 1200 but rarely eats all 1200 (nor does she eat the 300-500 calories she burns per day), I decided to eat almost 1500 calories today which is about 37 over my goal for the day (including both regular calories and exercise calories). So, my question is, with my specifics as far as my usual calorie intake, am I eating enough to help this plateau thing bc I find myself eating anything and everything in sight because I know I need to get more calories in. Speaking of, I just polished off my box of chocolate cheerios (yummmmm).

WIth my mindless eating aside, do I need to eat more or am I okay because it is 7:00 PST and I am going to work in about 15 minutes and if there is one part of my diet that I follow on a regular basis is that I DO NOT eat after 9pm.

Thank you!

Replies

• rosalie_g
    rosalie_g Posts: 71
    Options
    I'm not sure about "faking" out your metabolism but I did just get over my first month long plateau. After trying everything under the sun I just took a tip from another MFP member to drink more water. Well, it worked but I had to double if not triple my water consumption for the day.So far I'm sticking with it. Are you getting enough water?
  • taylorfriedchicken
    taylorfriedchicken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am. I have a water bottle that fills about 2.5 cups every time I fill it up. I drink about 3 to 3 1/2 per day plus I drink about 2 cups of green tea so I sort of count that as well. Is that not enough? I honestly drink when I am thirsty and with meals and everything (since water and tea are the only liquids I drink by themselves (not including milk in cereal and soup broths)). Last time I tried to drink a lot more water, I found myself forcing it down when I wasn't thirsty and it did not make my tummy happy whatsoever. Hmmmm
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There are some really well-informed people on this site and hopefully they will chime in on your post. If you search the threads I'm sure there is a wealth of information about people's experience with plateaus (or is it plateaux?) There are a few theories on mixing up your calorie intake to boost weight loss again, but I can't imagine that just eating whatever to get a higher calorie count is a great idea.

I hit a plateau this month which was really frustrating, but then I figured I would just practice maintenance, since that will be the ultimate goal. It worked for me. And some weight loss programs believe plateaus are an important part of the process and allow the metabolism to reset itself.
  • amm114
    amm114 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9614-newbies-please-read-me?hl=newbies

Somewhere in that topic or the linked ones from it, it says you SHOULD eat the calories you burn off. If you don't, you put your body into "starvation mode". Although you are not actually starving, your body isn't getting the calories it needs and it starts burning up your muscles instead of fat. Or something like that, I don't remember exactly... but it should be in that topic.

Drinking water is obviously a good thing... I never get the recommended 8 glasses a day, but I find that when I drink around 6, I don't eat quite as much snacky stuff. It's hard for me to stick with, for some reason.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    i've lost 35 pounds total and I hit a plateau a couple times myself. I also read somewhere that if you eat extra calories randomly that this may help "trick" your metabolism into burning more. I tried it and it worked for me. What I do is every 9-10 days, I try to eat about 400-500 more calories that day extra. I do try to keep them as healthy as possible, so I feel like i really have to eat alot. What helped me get the extra calories in on those day was almonds. they are high in cal and good fats so i ate 2-3 servings of them through out the day on top of what I normally ate. I also increased my protien as much as I could. After I did this, a couple days later I would do a "last chance" workout. Instead of an hour, I would do 2 hours. I really don't know what my rhyme or reason is regarding this, and I don't know if it would work for you, but it did help me past the plateau. the way I look at it, any little thing someone else trys that works for them, might help me as well so I'm always open to suggestions too!!!! Good luck!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Here's my experience...as I got closer to goal, I had to increase my calories. 1200 was just not enough. And it helped me to lose weight. At first I was on 1200 and was losing 2 lbs. a week consistently. Then I hit a point (10-15 til goal I think) and I found myself hungrier all the time and not losing. After asking some ppl on here, I decided to increase my cals, and I am still losing. Granted, I only lose about 0.5 pounds per week, but that is just fine with me!

A lot of people on here are fans of the "staggering cals method." Others say eat many more cals one day a week to keep your system in check. I wouldn't say eat whatever you want for an entire day...that could easily get out of hand and you could gain. You could try a day where you just eat more cals, but make sure they're good calories. Sure, you could go out and eat a big cheeseburger and fries, but who's to say that actually works? Everyone is different, so you will just have to find out what works for you. If it's a burger, or if it's an extra piece of grilled chicken, it's up to your body. Don't give up and keep at it...something else you could think about is increasing exercise. Just try some different things out! :flowerforyou:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    So basically, you are saying that you ate around 300 MORE calories today than you usually do? I would THINK (no science to back this thought up! Fair warning!) that this should do it. Will it work? Only time will tell.

You've had discussions in other topics about the other things (calories, etc) in your post, so I won't bother you with rehashing those. Take this plateau as a learning experience. Try out different things (with a couple weeks between each new thing) to see what your body likes (drops lbs with) and doesn't like (gains or maintains lbs with). Sounds like you're trying out something new. Just remember to make those extra calories your eating "healthy" calories (Hello, Pot? This is Kettle? You're black.:blushing: ) I don't always do a great job with that advice myself, but I try!

Post back in 4 or 5 days and let us know if it's working for you! Good luck on finding what works!
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    Here's my experience...as I got closer to goal, I had to increase my calories. 1200 was just not enough. And it helped me to lose weight. At first I was on 1200 and was losing 2 lbs. a week consistently. Then I hit a point (10-15 til goal I think) and I found myself hungrier all the time and not losing. After asking some ppl on here, I decided to increase my cals, and I am still losing. Granted, I only lose about 0.5 pounds per week, but that is just fine with me!

A lot of people on here are fans of the "staggering cals method." Others say eat many more cals one day a week to keep your system in check. I wouldn't say eat whatever you want for an entire day...that could easily get out of hand and you could gain. You could try a day where you just eat more cals, but make sure they're good calories. Sure, you could go out and eat a big cheeseburger and fries, but who's to say that actually works? Everyone is different, so you will just have to find out what works for you. If it's a burger, or if it's an extra piece of grilled chicken, it's up to your body. Don't give up and keep at it...something else you could think about is increasing exercise. Just try some different things out! :flowerforyou:

Ahh trust me I am now exercising 2x more than I did at the beginning of my diet, especially this week. One day alone I burned a little more than 1,100 calories by exercise. And yet the scale doesn't budge or goes down by .2 or even worse goes up (yikes!). I've been testing my body lately with detox fasts (24 hours) and other methods but my body is just staying still. I gotta say, I def. see the definition in my legs and arms and everything and ppl say "don't worry about the scale" but I do especially bc I put my weight on my resume and it is a daily necessity to know what my weight is.

Thank you for your wisdom and to everyone else as well! I will def. keep you guys posted in 4-5 days especially because I will be home by then for spring break (oooo a true test... can I back down from my mother's hardy italian cooking... hmmm only time will tell!).
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    p.s. has anyone else tried the sacred heart soup diet for a week?

I'm thinking about possibly doing it in about 2 weeks or so but I am unsure whether it would work for me or not since I am only 17lbs from my goal (it def. is not an "only" for me but it is far less than what I have already lost).
  • michellejayne
    Options
    Bump (good luck, interested in seeing how it works for you and love all the tips i can get)
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    Oh, and one last thing to all the MFP's who have mentioned previous posts and what not about the subject matter, trust me I go through the whole database with my concerns and questions before I write a topic and couldn't find anything on my specific case so... yea.
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    Bump (good luck, interested in seeing how it works for you and love all the tips i can get)

Thank you! I'll def. keep you guys informed (hopefully good things!!)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Exactly what Courtney says, you need to eat more.
    You said that you were not eating 1200 calories and not eating your exercise calories. That can cause a plateau.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. I'm in the same situation as the original poster so I will try what you have recommended. Thanks
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options

Ahh trust me I am now exercising 2x more than I did at the beginning of my diet, especially this week. One day alone I burned a little more than 1,100 calories by exercise. And yet the scale doesn't budge or goes down by .2 or even worse goes up (yikes!). I've been testing my body lately with detox fasts (24 hours) and other methods but my body is just staying still. I gotta say, I def. see the definition in my legs and arms and everything and ppl say "don't worry about the scale" but I do especially bc I put my weight on my resume and it is a daily necessity to know what my weight is.

Thank you for your wisdom and to everyone else as well! I will def. keep you guys posted in 4-5 days especially because I will be home by then for spring break (oooo a true test... can I back down from my mother's hardy italian cooking... hmmm only time will tell!).

O.O you're consuming 1500 a day (and thats up from normal) and you're exercising 1100 off? Girl your body is holding on to whatever food you're giving it for dear LIFE! Its like omg omg I can't even function on what she's giving me so I had better store whatever I can, when I can get it.

You need to eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories a day if you were NOT exercising so 1200 base to start, and then at LEAST half your exercise calories if not more! I would take 4-5 days and eat 1500+half exercise. Im not kidding. I got over a 3 week plateau by increasing my intake from 1500/day to 2000/day for about 5 days. I increased my water during that time as well...

bottom line is that when you're starving your body, it can't do what it needs to do and it holds on to every tiny bit it can to power you. Eat more = lose more in your case!

Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders suggest a "refeed" in cases like yours (or theirs where they are planning to compete). That is a day at least once a week where you eat at or a few hundred calories above maintenance. Usually these are high carb meals (but clean, ie: no processed carbs). They suggest sticking to your diet normally until afternoon, then eating 1-2 carefully planned extra-carby meals (ie: cereal or pasta or rice). The purpose of this is twofold - a) to keep you from gorging yourself on junk all day and b) to be in bed sleeping by the time your blood sugar goes nuts from the carbs (which will cause cravings).

Something to consider...

Also...eat more...LOTS more...on a daily basis. I know, it sounds dumb to tell people to eat more to lose, but it does work.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    what do you suggested she eats bc i think i have the same problem. i eat a cup of cottage chesse you think i should do 2 cups w/ granola
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Well, coming from a girl who is set at 1200 but rarely eats all 1200 (nor does she eat the 300-500 calories she burns per day), I decided to eat almost 1500 calories today which is about 37 over my goal for the day (including both regular calories and exercise calories).

You should be eating AT LEAST 1,200 per day, and most if not all of your exercise calories back. If you aren't following this, then I'm not surprised that you're not losing!
  • taylorfriedchicken
    Options
    Well, coming from a girl who is set at 1200 but rarely eats all 1200 (nor does she eat the 300-500 calories she burns per day), I decided to eat almost 1500 calories today which is about 37 over my goal for the day (including both regular calories and exercise calories).

You should be eating AT LEAST 1,200 per day, and most if not all of your exercise calories back. If you aren't following this, then I'm not surprised that you're not losing!

Well, people know from my previous posts that my original diet before starting MFP was to eat about 800 calories a day and work out about 3 times a week for 20 min each. I happened to lose a lot of weight doing this (20 lbs to be exact) but I began to get hungrier and finally wanted to listen to MFP and eat the 1200 suggested but didn't want to gain weight by going up and this is why I sometimes stay a little below 1200. However, yesterday I ate a 1476 and today I plan on eating about the same.

I'll try this for 5 days but I am unsure about what to eat to get those extra calories because I find myself going to carbs because they are filling and high in calories

Any ideas on getting in those extra calories?
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options

i pretty much just asked the same thing hopefully we get some response.

Well, people know from my previous posts that my original diet before starting MFP was to eat about 800 calories a day and work out about 3 times a week for 20 min each. I happened to lose a lot of weight doing this (20 lbs to be exact) but I began to get hungrier and finally wanted to listen to MFP and eat the 1200 suggested but didn't want to gain weight by going up and this is why I sometimes stay a little below 1200. However, yesterday I ate a 1476 and today I plan on eating about the same.

I'll try this for 5 days but I am unsure about what to eat to get those extra calories because I find myself going to carbs because they are filling and high in calories

Any ideas on getting in those extra calories?