** Benefits of Fiber Question and Feedback**

Options
It is well documented, fiber is a key component to a healthy fat burning diet... I was curious, how much fiber do you guys try to take in per day? Is there a such thing as too much fiber? What success stories do you have in regards to adding or deleting fiber amounts from your diets? etc...

I have my own thoughts and theories that I have lived by but I am trying to gain a better general idea of what others think...

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it is possible to get too much fiber, just like any other food. Since it's not absorbed if you eat so much fiber that you don't get enough calories or nutrients absorbed, that would be a problem. But since foods high in fiber are usually also high in nutrition that would likely only be a problem if you were taking too many fiber supplements.

I get varying amounts of fiber per day, but I'm rarely under the recommendation. Often I get double the RDA. I don't have a specific fiber goal, but since I try to eat a lot of vegetables and stick to whole grains I get more than enough it seems.
  • dynad
    dynad Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    from this site

The American Dietetic Association recommends an intake of 10-13 grams of fiber per 1000 calories consumed. This is roughly 20-30 grams per day for an average day’s diet of 2000-3000 calories per day. It’s worth noting that the average fiber intake in the modern diet is about 10-11 grams/day which is far below this.
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    There is a simple test to try that determines how 'fast' your dietry tract operates, that should help you determine whether you personally need more fibre or not.

In one meal, eat a punnet of pickled beetroot. When you next 'poo' if it is a deep red colour (don't let it frighten you) then that gives you an idea on how many hours it takes for your tract to move waste along.

If it is more than 12 hours, think about increasing your fibre, if it is less than 6 hours, decrease your fibre.

Do this once a week, for three weeks, before making any changes.

*This was advice given to me by my GP when having horrific colonic issues-it worked a treat and now I have no worries at all*

Best of luck figuring out what's best for you :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I aim for min 20g (on about 1500 calories) - this was recommended by a genetics consultant (there's a strong history of bowel cancer in my family). He also recommended getting it from a wide variety of plant foods rather than through supplements, because they're not sure whether it's just the fibre contents in vegetables or whether there is a preventative factor in the other nutrients consumed.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There is a simple test to try that determines how 'fast' your dietry tract operates, that should help you determine whether you personally need more fibre or not.

In one meal, eat a punnet of pickled beetroot. When you next 'poo' if it is a deep red colour (don't let it frighten you) then that gives you an idea on how many hours it takes for your tract to move waste along.

If it is more than 12 hours, think about increasing your fibre, if it is less than 6 hours, decrease your fibre.

Do this once a week, for three weeks, before making any changes.

I've never had red poo, ever, and I pig out on big portions of beetroot because I loveit! Purple pee yes (if that's not too much inormation, lol)
    I've never had red poo - and I pig out on beetroot in large quantities because I love it! Purple wee yes (TMI) LOL

*This was advice given to me by my GP when having horrific colonic issues-it worked a treat and now I have no worries at all*

Best of luck figuring out what's best for you :smile:
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    "The RDA recommended daily intake for total fiber for adults 50 years and younger is 38 grams for men and 25 grams for women, while for men and women over 50 it is 30 and 21 grams per day, respectively." I saw someone else on these boards say 40 grams, but it might have been a man who said that. It is better for this fiber to come from food as much as possible, not from supplements. Hope this helps.