I am angry with myself...yet I keep doing the same thing!

Options
I have been a bit off this past week & 1/2...although I am sticking with my diet (mostly), I haven't been going to the gym, or anywhere for that matter. I slept through my 5am alarm this morning so I missed the gym....again. I know it's because my boyfriend and I broke up a little over a week ago and I can't sleep or do much of anything. I really need to get back on track but I feel so down :( How do I get out of this funk? I know that I feel better when I work out...I know that I don't want to give up...so what is wrong with me!!!!? My brain and body aren't speaking to each other right now.

Replies

• RavenBeauty87
    RavenBeauty87 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie, I'm sorry! I think the best thing for you right now is to just eat right and maintain your weight. It doesn't mean you're giving up but you can't push yourself too much because I use to do that and I always failed. You don't have to go to the gym just go outside and walk around the block (walking is the best way for me to destress. I think about things and work out problems and next thing I know I've walked for an hour or more). I learned that I don't have to be in a workout environment to get a good burn.... I hope you get out of this funk and lose what you want!
  • Niki_Fawn
    Niki_Fawn Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The best remedy to a Break up is workout! I promise you'll walk out of that gym with your head higher. You kind of have to fake it til you make it. Then when you happy and fit with a man thats right for you you'll be thinking, "Look at me now" :)

I went through a bad break up over a year ago and I was really down and out for about a week. I stayed on track with eating because I was so torn apart, I really didn't have much of an appetite. I ended up losing 12 pounds just eating right. But then I began working out, Wow that made a huge difference. I was happier then I had ever been and noticed I was getting a lot more positive attention. The pain will heal but you have to help it.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going to the gym 5-6 days a week are my goals and my training schedule. I recently did my first half marathon and had workouts scheduled for 3 months leading up to it and once I paid the 40 bucks felt very committed to the training.

Wish I could help you with the personal distress you are feeling. Been a long time since I have been in that situation. I would suggest getting in touch with some friends for a weekend of distraction and as much fun as you can muster doing something you enjoy.
  • Daxgyetmhanaak
    Daxgyetmhanaak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Find something you truly enjoy and "just do it" :) I was in the same place last week - for different reasons, but couldnt get myself motivated to do much of anything. I didnt feel like doing anything but popped in a Zumba DVD and quickly was having fun. Maybe a night out dancing with some girlfriends, a walking date or something low-key but an event to look forward to? Good luck :D
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE GYM!!!!

I hope the rest of this doesn't come off as harsh. I don't mean it to be, but I could see harshness being read into the words. Just imagine this being read to you in a soothing voice. I just looked at your profile and it says the reason you want to get in shape is to be the best you that you can be. I know break ups make us feel really, really, bad, but did this change?

I had already decided I needed to lose weight, but a breakup is what kicked it into high gear for me. I took about a week to wallow about it, then I decided I was still very sad, but I had a life to live. It's all about harnessing your emotions and channeling them into something positive for yourself. Let yourself feel bad, but recognize that you don't want to feel bad anymore. You already know you don't want to feel bad anymore? Good. Go out and do something good for yourself. Remember, you're doing it for you. You're not doing it to get back at him or to attract someone new, you are doing it because you want to be the best for you.

Good luck. Now go get after it.
  • PriscillaOwl
    PriscillaOwl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)

I really appreciate the feedback and I agree... its okay to be sad, but I need to move forward now...not backwards. And I have to remember that this is about me - nobody else :) Thanks again
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    put on some Pink,..break up angry music...or Cher!! dico break up,u suck music it wrks great get mad!! dont shed another tear,wrk out Mama!!
  • CGBUN
    CGBUN Posts: 8
    Options
    awww, hang in there. can you take a yoga class at your gym? that should help you destress and it's very accepting; if you can't do a move it's just how it is, everyone has things that are tough or some days the body just doens't work. watch a favorite movie, go walk around the mall if you can stand the xmas stuff that's already out! :tongue:
    take it a day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    put on some Pink,..break up angry music...or Cher!! dico break up,u suck music it wrks great get mad!! dont shed another tear,wrk out Mama!!
    This!!!
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    Urgh, I'm sorry you feel so bad. That's horrible.

Look, this might sound really trite, but here's what I try to do when I feel bad: I try to make myself do positive things to try and counter the nagativity a bit. It helps me when I'm stressed or have PMS or something. But, what you're going through is a lot more complicated than that, so I can't say I would follow my own advice! I would try to, eventually, though. It's really hard, I'm sorry you're going through it. Do be kind to yourself - that sounds trite as well, but go easy on yourself. That doesn't mean being indulgent in the things you know will make you feel bad (like eating a gazzilion calories of ice cream), rather the opposite.

Take care, ok? xxx
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Turn the saddness into anger and use it! Just think of how fun it will be to pass by the ex later with you looking all hot and sexy. Mix it up if you need to. Change your routine. After a breakup it'd be good to do things a new way so the "old life" doesn't haunt you. Try a new group fitness class at your gym or go at a different time. You'll feel better afterwards. Easier said than done but you're strong!
  • Nanbro06
    Options
    Allow yourself time to grieve!!! You guys just broke up! It's normal to feel depressed, this will pass. You sound completely normal to me. Yes, hitting the gym should help but dont beat yourself up if you can't drag yourself there. That only causes more stress and thus more cortisol is produced to deal with the stress ( and we all know what too much cortisol will do!). Go get a massage!!!