eggs vs. egg beaters

Options
icimani
icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
For the bakers/experimentors out there....

I don't bake often. I live by myself and to bake a whole recipe of seomthing means I have that whole thing in my house and it's just waaay to tempting. So I'm always looking for ways to cut the recipe in half or more, or to make things more low-cal.

Does using egg beaters change the consistency of the recipe? Like, can you use egg beaters in muffins as opposed to whole eggs and have them still be the same consistency?

And - is there something on the label of egg beaters that tells you to use X amount of egg beaters vs. X number of whole eggs?

Replies

• deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    EggBeaters can be used in any recipe calling for eggs. 1/4 cup equals 1 large egg.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't use egg beaters, so I can't answer that part of your question... but I do have hens and fresh eggs. Raw eggs can be frozen for later use, though not in the shell. If you crack some raw eggs and mix them together, you can freeze them in an ice cube tray and each cube is about 1/2 an egg. Hope this helps with your recipes.
  • VFBloch0725
    Options
    I don't use egg beaters, so I can't answer that part of your question... but I do have hens and fresh eggs. Raw eggs can be frozen for later use, though not in the shell. If you crack some raw eggs and mix them together, you can freeze them in an ice cube tray and each cube is about 1/2 an egg. Hope this helps with your recipes.

That is a clever idea! I never knew you could do that!
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    what are egg beaters? are they egg whites in a carton? I've seen posts about whether scrambled eggs at breakfast buffets in hotels use egg beaters in them.
    Sorry I'm not from the US and I'm going to Orlando for Christmas so am interested.

Good tip about freezing the eggs, I learn something new here every day :smile:
  • wheldar
    Options
    Thanks for that tip. I never knew you could freeze raw eggs. We camp bunches when the weather is with us and being able to take frozen eggs in ice cube trays is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing that.

We use the ice cube trays when we make large batches of homemade pesto or very thick tomato sauce (almost tomato paste). We just pout either into an ice tray and freeze, then dump into resealable bags and label with a date. 1 cube is about 2oz and is usually just enough for small recipes. Since we found the pesto ice cube tray thing, we not buy the store brand tomato soups and add a cube of pesto and 'kick it up a notch'. Your tomato soup will never be the same.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Great tip :)
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Very cool tip about freezing eggs in an ice tray. :)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'm am avid baker, and will often use egg beaters. From my experience, the egg beaters do not make much of a difference in the finished product. I can sometimes see a difference in the uncooked batter; a batter with egg beaters tends to be not quite as elastic as a batter with whole eggs. Something about the whole egg lends an almost "non-newtonian fluid" consistency to batters.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    what are egg beaters? are they egg whites in a carton? I've seen posts about whether scrambled eggs at breakfast buffets in hotels use egg beaters in them.
    Sorry I'm not from the US and I'm going to Orlando for Christmas so am interested.

bfitgirl---Egg Beaters is a brand of egg whites in a carton.It has yellow color added to it. I don't like the taste of them when I scramble them alone. If I use egg Beaters, I almost always will add a whole egg to mask the taste. I do prefer 100% liquid egg whites in a carton. No color or preservatives added. I use this in cooking, baking, and will sometimes add to my smoothies to up my protein intake.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options

never knew that..
    thanks!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you're making a fluffy type merengue, do NOT use egg beaters. You need to use real eggs. Egg beaters are made for cooking normal food and won't fluff up the same. A souffle will not fluff and merengue cookies won't turn out the same. You can read on the side of the box and they state to NOT use them for anything that requires fluffing up.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't tell a difference. Love those beaters!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use egg beaters too without any discernable change in taste or quality. I also use them to a make an AWESOME mock hollandaise sauce. I just add some egg beaters to a microwaveable cup and add a splash of lemon juice. and lemon pepper. Microwave for 45 seconds stopping to whisk after 20 seconds. I add a little water to thin to desired consistancy. Depending on what I'm doing with it I sometimes use more lemon juice or even OJ to thin it and add herbs etc. YUM!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to "The Magic Muffin Mix". With this mix you can make a single muffin at a time in a variety of flavors just by adding a few simple ingredients to the mix. It might be what you need as you can make just one and there are no more around until you bake another one. Here is my pinterest link.. http://pinterest.com/pin/280489883012870055/ The information you need is all right there.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options

bfitgirl---Egg Beaters is a brand of egg whites in a carton.It has yellow color added to it. I don't like the taste of them when I scramble them alone. If I use egg Beaters, I almost always will add a whole egg to mask the taste. I do prefer 100% liquid egg whites in a carton. No color or preservatives added. I use this in cooking, baking, and will sometimes add to my smoothies to up my protein intake.

Thanks for info! Sometimes I'm so envious of the products you have in the US (low carb cake mix unheard of in ireland!) but mostly I'm happy that we're generally forced to make dishes from scratch! No nastily stuff added!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    There's a great website with single serving cakes... Chocolatecoveredkate just Google it. Just make a single serving and enjoy! X