Anyone else living in Japan?

Options
Roger_Williams
Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
I'm a Brit living in Japan, and wondered if anyone else in MFP lives here too?

Replies

• Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I wish. Japan's awesome. I was there last March / April and loved it. My favorite country :)
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    Japan's a love-it-or-hate-it kind of place. I love it, of course, as you can guess by the fact I've been here over 40 years. What brought you to Japan, Dom_m? Here on hoiliday? Given good weather you can have a really good time here... Did you catch the cherry blossoms? You were here at about the right time.
  • steffi1686
    steffi1686 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to visit Japan especially the onsen and cherry blossom viewing. And of course all the otaku stuff.
    Did you find it hard to adjust to their culture? I have heard that the Japanese will never fully accept you as one of them and will always see you as a gaijin.
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    I have always wanted to visit Japan especially the onsen and cherry blossom viewing. And of course all the otaku stuff.
    Did you find it hard to adjust to their culture? I have heard that the Japanese will never fully accept you as one of them and will always see you as a gaijin.

Hi, Steffi.
    We are just coming up to the cherry blossom and the weather forecasters are saying the Cherry Blossom Front will hit Tokyo on about March 22. Can hardly wait. Last year we moved into our new condominium, and the gardens have several impressive cherry trees. If they survived the transplanting, we should have a pretty show. As far as Japanese not fully accepting you as one of them, that's not so unusual as no foreign-born person can actually be one of them in the full sense--too wide a gap in terms of looks, habits and culture. My kids, though, born and brought here, have no problems, despite none of them looking quite Japanese (my wife is Japanese). I guess things are more favourable in the United States, as historically you have welcomed many different peoples and accepted them as "your own." But that's the exception, rather than the rule. We Brits have our problems with accepting furriners. <embarrassed grin>
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS wanted to visit England. Do you ever go back?
  • Roger_Williams
    Options
    I've ALWAYS wanted to visit England. Do you ever go back?

Hi, Snookeroo,

I used to visit my mother every year, but she passed away 15 years ago. My most recent visit was on our honeymoon two years ago. We had great weather most of the time, which is rare for England. Beautiful country, dreadful climate.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I live in the U.S., but I lived in Yokohama in high school and Hiroshima in University for a year each time as an exchange student. I haven't been back in years, but hope to chance to visit again one day. My Japanese is getting pretty rusty!
  • elcyclista
    elcyclista Posts: 393
    Options
    Chotto nihongo o hanashimasu. :]

I don't live in japan.
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Ohh Ohh !! MEEEE haha I am USAF stationed in Misawa AB.. in the Aomori prefecture.. and you are right, you either love it or you hate it .. I hate it :) .. I would much rather be in Europe ( never been , just really want to go ) ... My husband and myself are going to see about England or Germany for our next tour. We have lived here for about a year and a half... I'm not one for seafood or other things from the water.. so the food here isnt really appealing.. other than that though, its cool here, just not for me.
  • lavacava
    Options
    I'm in Japan right now. Living on Okinoerabu island! WAYYYY down south, but north or Yoron and Okinawa.