tattoos and clothing...

Options
MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
Looking for opinions...

I love ink.. I've always seen it as art on a living canvas. Not all art appeals to me, but that doesn't mean its not art - same goes for ink. (IMO)

I used to be of the opinion that if I got ink, I didn't want it obscured by clothing... Ie a tattoo with a bra line cutting through it. I know this is personal preference, so please don't jump on me :)

I am starting to think about another one, and originally picked it for my back above the bra line, but lately I've been thinking it would be cool to mimic the shape of the one I have on my side, on my other side, but along the ribcage, and wrapping just around the top of my boob. I won't want it too obvious when I wear a tank, but a hint of edge is ok with me.

So here's the opinion:
-> would a tat look silly sneaking under a bra band (or sports bra band)?
-> do you have any suggestions for how to make a tat like that work so that it looks artistic with or with out clothes

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    From another person that likes artistic expression and especially ink..............

I think it would great and sexy as hell.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think tattoos should fit the shape of the body. I don't see a problem if part of it ends up hidden by clothes.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Different clothes will show different parts of a tattoo, or some will show off the whole thing. I have a large tattoo on my side that is fully visible when I'm in my bikini and only partially visible in some tank tops. Some bras leave it uncovered so I really want to get some shirts that are cut out at the side so I can show it off!

I think that is an awesome idea and that it definitely wouldn't look silly if it was done by a good artist. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters anyways! :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of well thought out, cohesive and artistic tattoos too. I don't think it would look silly at all.

What are you looking at doing? I think that the content of the piece dictates how artistic it looks, not so much the location. In most cases hahaha.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My two cents:

I don't think it would look silly at all. My interest is piqued when I see little peek a boo tattos like that :o)

But I am wanting one half way and all the way up my spine area, and one up my rib cage and up my back, I like the ones that go up around the front but my boobies are too big to make that look right. =/
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    1) Nothing wrong with that at all!
    2) If you have an idea in mind- a theme or object you want, etc., I'd Google-image the crap out of it for brainstorming ideas. Then take your favorites and have your tattoo artist draw up some ideas. There is a phoenix I want SO BAD on my entire back...but I couldn't decide if I wanted something tribal, or fire-y and artistic. I ended up finding an image on Google that was a perfect combination- it has the slightly disjointed shapes of a tribal tattoo but instead of solid black, it's wispy fire. Not sure how to describe it but it's very unique!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would look silly at all. The healing process is tougher in areas that are obscured by clothing (unless, of course, you can walk around naked for two weeks), but I think your idea will still be aesthetically pleasing.

I'd definitely suggest having a brainstorm sesh with your tattoo artist...s/he may be able to offer you some suggestions as how to make it awesome with or without clothes.
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think women with tattoos are mysterious, sexy and hot...there is nothing wrong with leaving a little mystery to your ink of choice. I see women all the time with their clothing partially covering their ink which most times prompts me to strike up a conversation with them. I especially like when there is meaning behind the actual peice they have. Every woman I have approached in regards to wanting to look at their body art has been an interesting and intellectual person and I have had very nice conversations with. I have met some of my closest women friends by simply talking about a tattoo they have. Your freedom of expression should never be compromised by what others think, its your body be proud of it and rock that ink baby !!
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have a tattoo that's just under my bra band on my right side. Three letter quote, so it's not too big. I like it. It's hidden and depending on how much clothing you wear, people will only see it when you show them.
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    there is notting wrong with that at all, in fact i think it would be sexy as hell
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    I looove tattoos....I was totally thinking of getting some work done in the same area. I think that what you are you describing would be smokin hott lady! And you have to choice to let it show or cover it up!
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I think tattoos should fit the shape of the body. I don't see a problem if part of it ends up hidden by clothes.

Spot on
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your responses so far!

Design wise, I'd like the bottom to mirror the bottom of my current, the curl of green. I wouldn't mind another lily. And I'd like three butterflies. One bigger two smaller.

The butterfly symbolizes my rebirth and growth into someone better. The two small ones represent my girls - whom I intend on teaching to be strong while still young.

One will be shades of blue - my eldest's fav color, one shades of purple - my youngest's fav. And mine will blend the two colors together.

The song that triggered it all:

Butterfly Girl - Jaylene Johnson

Do you only remember the way it used to be?
    Full of fear and doubt and insecurity
    Taking things that people said to build a web around you
    Thinking you'd be safe
    In that place

I know you're frightened and your wings are frail
    Summer's here and you've outgrown your silky veil
    The walls of your cocoon have left no room for breathing
    So break free
    Break free

Butterfly girl
    Don't you know you're beautiful by now?
    Too long in hiding
    Free to shine girl
    Time to spread your wings and show your colors to the
    world

Butterfly girl
    Don't you know that you're a precious miracle?
    Suffering transformed to something wonderful
    All the things that had you bound before have made you
    stronger
    So trust me and fly
    Trust me and fly

Butterfly girl
    Don't you know you're beautiful by now?
    Too long in hiding
    Free to shine girl
    Time to spread your wings and show your colors to the
    world

Butterfly girl
    Don't you know you're beautiful?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Your thought for this, sort of reminds me very much of my own current one... it's grey/blue tones, a vine wrapping around my arm signifying the family (growing and ever-changing). I have blue butterflies dancing through it (my eldest daughter), and small daisy like flowers (my youngest). Some of the leaves on the vine spell out my husbands initials. I want to add a falling leaf, for the recent passing of my Dad.
    Have you considered maybe continuing your current work down your hip toward your thigh. or would that be too bold?
  • nikic50
    nikic50 Posts: 209
    Options
    Beautiful song, beautiful tat idea too! My tat is on my right hip & includes my sign, my hubby's sign & 3 flowers to represent out 3 girls. I did a lot of google searches & finally decided on one I loved. Nobody sees any of it unless I'm in a bikini....kinda wish people could see part of it at other times....would make me feel sexier :)
    Good luck, can't wait to see pics!
  • shimewazaMan
    Options
    Sounds awesome. I think tatts that "peak" out from clothing are hot as hell. Sounds like you have a great design thought out and you existing one looks awesome!
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Have you considered maybe continuing your current work down your hip toward your thigh. or would that be too bold?

This made me crack up considering how tall you are Sandy, the artist might never run out of canvas...

*poke!

>Rob

PS Love your tattoos btw and the fact that you have the meaning behind it and your next one all figured out. Go for it!