calorie intake

Options
Well let's see here ill start off by saying that I weigh around 380 pounds. When I signed up on MFP and put my stats in it said I should be eating around 2400 calories a day to lose weight, but it just doesn't sound right to me so I've actually bee eating around 800 to 1000 a day and some days only around 500. I've only really been eating soups and lunchmeat sandwhiches for lunch and dinner, no breakfast, and snacks its been 5 calories a serving jello cups, and a 100 calories a serving popcorn. Also have been drinking those carbonated flavored Walmart waters. Anyone have any tips on what I should be eating if I'm not eating the right things and also should I be sticking to the calorie count that MFP calculated for me?

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    that doesn't sound right to you, so instead you eat as much as an anorexic?

You should eat what mfp tells you, especially if you've no background in a proper diet. Find vegetables and lean meats and dairy products that you like and make meals out of them, and add exercise to your lifestyle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Start with what MFP gave you. You're in serious eating disorder territory right now. Just start with eating the right number of calories. Then you can work on making healthier choices. Mostly you want lean protein, whole grains, fruit and lots of veggies. I also advocate giving yourself some treats. It doesn't have to be every day, but it's good to have a little something you really enjoy. I have a small amount of chocolate pretty much every day.

If after a few weeks you don't see any progress with your loss then come back and we'll help you with your goal.
  • tinagn
    tinagn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you doubt the MFP calculator, calculate you bmr and TDEE using this website
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Try to net at least you bmr, eating at 1000 or under everyday can't be good for you.
    And instead of eating popcorn, jello etc (even if they a quite low in calories, they might still be high in sugar, fats etc), opt of healthier alternatives
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,946 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: eat real food to nourish your body---lean meat and fish, steamed veggies, fruit, whole grains.....stay away from eating food with little or no nutritional value.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're eating less than the calories needed for an 8 year old girl? Does that sound more like it would be right? Eat what you are supposed to eat because you can't live on what you're doing now and you'll just end up giving up and going back to eating too much. If you doubt that the 2400 is a good number try making a list of all the things you ate before you decided to lose weight and be honest. I did this with my hubby and though he swore he hardly ate anything when I wrote it all down he was averaging over 4,000 calories a day!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    At 380lbs, it takes significantly more calories to even sustain your body than someone who weighs 150. So when they tell you 2400 calories, listen. You will make yourself sick by not eating enough. I ran your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) which is the the number of calories you'd burn if you laid in bed all day and that number is something like 3100 calories a day. Eat more, your body requires nutrients that you are clearly depriving it of.