Big Boyz Do Cry

Options
BigDnSW
BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
I shared this with my MFP friends and thought it may inspire/encourage you who face physical challenges in this health and weight loss journey. I have a long way to go yet, but now after 6 months of steady work, a new lifestyle has emerged with great results. This is a report about my semi-annual doctor's appointment yesterday. I hope you find hope in this and the courage to journey onward.

Big Boyz Do Cry

Well, on April 19th of this year I left my doctor's office challenged as I had my annual physical. Oh, all the numbers were great except one..my weight. We discussed diet and exercise at that time (he knows I am disabled and works with me) and what I could do over the next couple of years to get healthy. I took his challenge and bought a very nice digital scale the next day, created a very cool excel file to log all my food and exercise, did research on obesity for men in their 50's at Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, WebMD, Dr. Oz, Livestrong (cheater), and came up with a food plan that fits my needs and challenges.

SW (SuperWife) joined me at that time as well and we began this journey together. Fast forward. In June, I was researching sodium and what is acceptable and wouldn't you know, I found this site called MFP. I nosed around a bit and joined just to log my food and exercise. Well, then I found a few friends and a few more and started to really lose weight using this site and my HRM.

You all keep me motivated when I read your posts. When my back and leg won't work, I go ahead and just burn some cals in my chair listening to some cool tunes. Without you, today would not have been so freakin cool....

I had my semiannual checkup with my doc today. He came in the exam room and did the usual interview and then he looked astonished and I'm thinking, "Crap, I'll bet my cholesterol....", then Doc looked at me and said, "OMG, you've lost over 50lbs. Incredible."

We then talked about how I need to keep going and it still will take a year or more to get where I am happy. He was not so professional, but motivational and notso doctorish. Loved it.

Well, I went down to pay the bill and when I sat down to get my checkbook out, the cashier did some smalltalk and then said, "Oh, well...Doctor JF gave you a no charge." I said, "What?" "There is no charge for today's visit and that's his call." I was speechless. You see, I can't get any insurance period. All of this comes out of my pocket. Can't get any disability. My doc knows all this.

So, I walked out to my van and when I got to the door, I just broke and cried. Yup, Big D with a handful of tears. The last time I was in this parking lot I was 57 pounds heavier and could barely walk. Tears of joy flooded my soul. I gave thanks to God for helping me, for my good doctor and his advice last spring, for my wife helping me to journey on, and for you--for all the love, care, prayers, laughing at my silliness, joking about the blender drinks, picking me up when I am down, and the rest.
Big Boyz do cry. I did, unashamed. That's what real gratitude is about and that is what will keep me on the path.

Thank you!

Till next time,

Big D

ps: If you want...read my profile and add me as a friend...but only if you want to share in the journey. :)

Replies

• maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Now I am crying you just made me feel so good.
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing that, so inspiring. Your Doc must have been so proud of you and happy that you have taken such a positive step in improving your health. :flowerforyou:
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome! Congratulations on your journey so far, I can only imagine what another year for you will be!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Now there is a doctor who cares.... his payment is saving your life.

Well done and keep it up!
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You're an awesome man and an awesome MFP friend. I feel blessed to know you and honored to call you my friend. Keep on, keeping on and walking even further Dave. You inspire me to move more and try harder every day, Thank-you.

God bless your kind doctor too.

t seems he really did go in to medicine for all the right reasons.

Tears are a healthy release for our bodies. Glad you are able to shed some, cuz I know some folks actually can't.

So Proud of you,

Hoots
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow.. what an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing this!
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    Sorry...SW stands for SuperWife...
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Awe thats lovely. Well done
  • rrumbolt
    rrumbolt Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    heart touching. awesome store.. be very proud of yourself..
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This is a lovely post. Well done, and thank you, big guy. :smile:
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Amazing story... brought tears to my eyes :) Congrats on your successes :flowerforyou:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    What an amazing, inspiring story. Congratulations on your weight loss. I'm glad I took the time to read this. Your doctor gives me hope that there are still good people out there. I love reading about these small acts that are truly appreciated. :)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Wonderful. Bless you and stay strong on your journey.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Great story. Great doc. Thanks, Big Boy.
  • sandyrrt
    sandyrrt Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Big D:
    How awesome is that!!! No shame in tears:) Yes, real men do cry and this was worth crying over. Thank you for posting your success. We are rooting for you in your continued journey. And cudos to your doc. What a guy! Wish there were more like him. He was rewarding you for your effort (and probably was saying to himself "Finally! Someone took my advice!!")
    Your story struck a chord with me. My husband of 31 years has let himself go, healthwise. Overweight, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, and controlled--with meds--atrial fibrillation. I am terrified I will wake up one morning and find him dead, but all he says is "gotta go sometime!" Pisses me off. I love the man so much, but I know he has to come to that "aha" moment for himself. I try to be a good example without being in his face about it. anyway, sorry for the long reply. May God bless you and your wife with many happy, healthy years;)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Great story. You should print it out and share it with your doctor :)
  • sirthickness
    Options
    Pure awesomeness sir! Keep it up. BTW, keep that doctor!
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    Wow...thanks so much and yes I plan on sending him a nice card with a gift certificate of somewhere HEALTHY to eat and will print out my blog.

You all have made my day.

Would love to have your "kind" to friend me.

Overwhelmed,

Big D
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    amazing!!! congratulations on the weight loss. Your post brought a tear to my eye!
  • KimBickel
    KimBickel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!