Want to lower BF % - Advice/Suggestions Welcome :)

Options
Hi all. I am looking for some help to lower my body fat percentage, and figured I'd ask around the MFP community for some advice. I had it measured today after a fitness class by the instructor, who told me I am at 29-30% (using calipers). I also ran my numbers through the Fat2Fit BF calculator, and came up with 27% BF. I ideally would like to get it down in the range of 18-19%. I have my macros currently set for 40-30-30, and calorie goal at 1500/day.

My stats are:
Height: 5'5.5"
Current weight: 166
Heaviest weight: 235
Waist (navel): 30"
Hips: 44"
Exercise: 4/5 times a week including 2x/week strength training classes

My instructor suggested that I lay off of the amount of dairy I consume (I eat a lot of it), and to instead stick to beans and veggies to get my protein. Since a large portion of my protein intake comes from dairy (either string cheese/lowfat cheddar/greek yogurt), I worry that only eating veggies/beans wont get me to 100+ grams of protein a day. I'm an ovo/lacto vegetarian, btw.

I have my diary open if anyone wants to take a look - I missed a few days due to a lack of power, and ultimately didn't eat very well since all of my food in the refrigerator had to be tossed. Any improvements to my current routine would be awesome :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Fitness_withsarah
    Options
    Hey!

Do you do any strength training ?? Muscle burns fat and the heavier weights you lift the lower your body fat will be :)

I'm also a vegetarian and I eat of dairy for protein such as cottage cheese and it works I think. As long as your not heavy fatty dairy like full fat cheese, etc. I also drink natural protein shakes for added protein. Nuts and beans are a good option as well but do lack high amounts of protein.

If you have any more questions just message me :)

- Sarah
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Increase protein and lift heavy. That will slow weight loss due to increasing muscle mass but will increase the muscle mass and actually make you leaner (smaller).
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Increase protein and lift heavy. That will slow weight loss due to increasing muscle mass but will increase the muscle mass and actually make you leaner (smaller).

The protein part is where I'm struggling a bit.. I get in close to 100g a day using egg whites + lowfat cheese/yogurts, but the instructor suggested removing the dairy, which would leave me eating nothing but egg whites.. Any other (vegetarian friendly) ideas for higher protein?

And I take a strength training class 2x a week where we usually use 12 lb weights for 2-3 sets (12-16 reps) for upper and weighted lower body. I take it you suggest I lower the reps for each set and instead use heavier weights? There are also 15 and 20 lb weights available for the classes.

Thanks
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Use protein powder with almond milk. I use Sunwarrior protein powder (which is all plant based by the way) and unsweetened almond milk. You get the protein and some carbs, and 50% of the calcium you need. And no dairy. I use the chocolate flavor. The protein powder is 84 cal per scoop and the almond milk (unsweetened) is 30 or 60 cal per 8 oz. I can't remember which right now. Sweetened almond milk is a little more calories.

You can also use whey protein powder in almond milk, or rice milk, whatever. I think the vanilla taste better in the whey, but that is just me. Whey has more calories but it also has more protein per scoop.

I tried the sun warrior with a free sample and liked it so I stuck with it. It has less calories than whey, but slightly less protein also.

Either suggestion will work.