fit bit saying I have burned 6,000 calories!

Options
So I did my normal morning walk this morning and so far today (halfway through the day) I have taken about 11,000 steps and fitbit is saying I have now burnt over 6,000 calories!!! Seeing it has synced with MFP it has now bumped my calories up to over 5,000. That's ridiculous!
Starting to think this fit bit syncing with MFP is not going to work :(

Replies

• Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Crazy!!! :)
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand the Fitbit adjustments anymore. It worked so well before and now, I am so disappointed in how it works. I am considering unlinking my device and just using it for telling me how many miles I finished in a day. I wish they would just get it right. :sad:
  • gman6173
    gman6173 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just added the fitbit zip to my MFP today and at work I burned over 2,000 calories just walking 1.9 miles throughout the day!!!! I can't figure it out. Then MFP actually added calories to my daily allowance? Any ideas? Anyone?
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I havent had a problem with mine,says so far today that i have walked 14244 steps,2818 calories burnt,6.53 miles and it adjusted my calories burnt on mfp to 943 cal burnt,,,sounds about right,,i had a busy day today
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'd check your weight entry on fitbit and or MFP.

MFP "only" uses weight to give you a calorie burn (as per the exercise > database, pick an exercise and it asks for your weight and the minutes worked out) so if you have an incorrect weight entry ie 1675 lbs instead of 167.5 it can give you a wrong calorie burn.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mine has been working fine. I did 12,320 steps on fitbit, 3250 calories in fitbit

MFP sync shows 641 fitbit credit for the day. I don't eat my fitbit calories though. When I did, I lost 0 weight!
  • gman6173
    gman6173 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Am I just reading this wrong now? It gave me a -190 Calorie Adjustment for today which gave me less calories available in the day. When I enter exercise manually, it adds to my remaining calories not takes it away.
  • becnaffine
    Options
    I've checked and double checked my settings on fitbit. I have them in using metric (kg's and cm's) so I'm wondering if that could be the problem? Something definitely not right with it.
  • lveh8lve
    Options
    Am I just reading this wrong now? It gave me a -190 Calorie Adjustment for today which gave me less calories available in the day. When I enter exercise manually, it adds to my remaining calories not takes it away.

It gives you negative when you are "lazy". I had a whole lot of negatives from being stuck inside last week. Normally if you move more throughout the day it will go positive. Mine hits positive at about 3k steps. If you think about it, that negative is a great motivator to not sit on the couch all day and watch tv,
  • lveh8lve
    Options
    I've checked and double checked my settings on fitbit. I have them in using metric (kg's and cm's) so I'm wondering if that could be the problem? Something definitely not right with it.

Is your fitbit set to sedentary?? because if you are at 11k steps halfway through your day thats pretty active.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    UM did you tie it to the bumper of your car because the way I understand it that is not how that is supposed to work!
    I would suggest NOT eating back exercise calories.....
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Woah baby, that is high. Most I've ever gotten at 5'8'' and 175ish pounds was 2800 for 16,000 steps. Something is not right!! (Though if it were, I wouldn't have a problem eating 5,000 calories. :devil: )
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    So I did my normal morning walk this morning and so far today (halfway through the day) I have taken about 11,000 steps and fitbit is saying I have now burnt over 6,000 calories!!! Seeing it has synced with MFP it has now bumped my calories up to over 5,000. That's ridiculous!
    Starting to think this fit bit syncing with MFP is not going to work :(

obviously, can't be right, 6,000 calories in 11,000 steps means about 1 calorie every 2 steps, right?

Average step it what, maybe 2.5 feet? If you burnt 1 calorie every 2 steps that's 1 calorie every 5 feet? A mile is 5280 feet. So that means a mile would burn over 1,000 calories (5,280 feet / 5 feet per calorie = about 1,000 calories). No one burns 1,000 calories a mile, average persons burns 100 calories running a mile, 300 lbs person might burn 200 calories.

chart for calories burnt walking or running (5mph) by weight
    http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Everyone on mfp knows that calorie calculators are 100% reliable.

EAT ALL THOSE CALORIES BACK TODAY OR YOU GONNA GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE
  • becnaffine
    Options
    korsicash - no I definitely WON'T be eating back those calories.

I can't see in the fitbit settings anywhere where you can select activity level ie sedentary. Yes I have done over 11,000 steps so far as I went for an hour long walk this morning (plus I have three kids lol)

The only thing that I can see that might be affecting it is that I don't have a stride length set. Would that be it?
  • becnaffine
    Options
    LOL DavPul you really made me laugh. Right off to McDonalds to bump up my calories!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I would make sure you have your profile set to Sedentary, and go from there. Did you check the Fitbit site to make sure it was logging properly?
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    korsicash - no I definitely WON'T be eating back those calories.

I can't see in the fitbit settings anywhere where you can select activity level ie sedentary. Yes I have done over 11,000 steps so far as I went for an hour long walk this morning (plus I have three kids lol)

The only thing that I can see that might be affecting it is that I don't have a stride length set. Would that be it?

Well, have you ever had this problem before? Because if you haven't, I don't even think it's the stride length that's causing it. Might just be a fitbit glitch... I would look back at your previous records, and eat based off of those TDEE calculations if they're more sensible... And then try again tomorrow. :P
  • becnaffine
    Options
    I got the fitbit yesterday. Can anyone tell me where to find the activity setting on fitbit because I can't find it.
  • becnaffine
    Options
    ecw3780 - do you mean set my MFP activity level to sedentary or fitbit?