Single parents or just good advise...

Options
How do I find time in the day to get the workout I need plus take great care of my LO? Shes my number 1 but I know I need to be the best, healthy me I can for her.

Replies

• MsBookandTea
    MsBookandTea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What is a "LO"?
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    What is a "LO"?

Little one????
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    What is a "LO"?

Little one :smile:
  • MsBookandTea
    MsBookandTea Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh, ok.. I honestly had no idea! :blushing:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Context clues people, lol come on ! We learned this is elementary school :P lol Tho I guess if you're not familiar with abbreviation it's easy to get confused. Stick me on twitter with 14 year olds and I have no idea what's being said lol

OP- I'd say look around for local gyms with day care! A lot of gyms have them now for parents like yourself. Also I assume your daughter is still taking naps so maybe pop in a work out tape during her morning nap if you don't like working out after she goes to bed? There's a ton of DVD's out there such as ripped in 30 or Insanity that you can do right from home!

If you have the money you could also order a treadmill for your house. I know a single mother who uses Wii Fitt and loves it. There are tons of work outs you can do right from home!

Or perhaps get a jogging stroller?
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    Do you have friends you could swap childcare with? Trade an hour on alternate days, so that you can get your time in; if she's in daycare while you work, make sure you get some activity in before/after your work day.

See if you can find a "stroller fit" group - bring her along with you while you walk/jog with other parents who have little ones in strollers.

Put her in a backpack carrier and take a walk or go on a hike.

Grab workout DVDs and get workout time at home while she naps, before she gets up in the morning, after she's gone to bed at night...

It sure complicates things to be on your own with a little one - but, between taking her along, and squeezing it in when she doesn't have immediate need of you, it's possible to get the time in.

Good luck!
  • 1ocean1girl
    Options
    Context clues people, lol come on ! We learned this is elementary school :P lol Tho I guess if you're not familiar with abbreviation it's easy to get confused. Stick me on twitter with 14 year olds and I have no idea what's being said lol

OP- I'd say look around for local gyms with day care! A lot of gyms have them now for parents like yourself. Also I assume your daughter is still taking naps so maybe pop in a work out tape during her morning nap if you don't like working out after she goes to bed? There's a ton of DVD's out there such as ripped in 30 or Insanity that you can do right from home!

If you have the money you could also order a treadmill for your house. I know a single mother who uses Wii Fitt and loves it. There are tons of work outs you can do right from home!

Or perhaps get a jogging stroller?

Oh thats a great idea, doing a workout video while she naps. I have to be at work by 7am so Id have to do it in the pm. She usually only naps for 30min but that should give me a decent workout.
  • 1ocean1girl
    Options
    Do you have friends you could swap childcare with? Trade an hour on alternate days, so that you can get your time in; if she's in daycare while you work, make sure you get some activity in before/after your work day.

See if you can find a "stroller fit" group - bring her along with you while you walk/jog with other parents who have little ones in strollers.

Put her in a backpack carrier and take a walk or go on a hike.

Grab workout DVDs and get workout time at home while she naps, before she gets up in the morning, after she's gone to bed at night...

It sure complicates things to be on your own with a little one - but, between taking her along, and squeezing it in when she doesn't have immediate need of you, it's possible to get the time in.

Good luck!

Thank you ! Great advise :smile: It is hard but I also found its made me stronger as a person. shes my reason for getting healthier; just needed some good ideas to kick it into gear.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I schedule my workouts like I schedule anything else.
    Then I (try) to stick to it - I bring them to the gym with me becuase they have a daycare in the gym for the kids to play.
    Works well. Also in the summer its fun to find things we can all do together, you just got to make taking care of yourself a bigger priority than you do now.

Good luck
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old. I do it right after she goes to sleep for a nap or for the night. I rarely work out with her awake.
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ***I am not a single parent, but my husband is away with the Army...
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I was a single mom for several years when my daughter was young. What I did was work-out videos at night after she went to bed (when she got a little older, she did them with me lol) and I took her for walks in her stroller A LOT. :smile:
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I lie on my back and do leg lifts with my daughter, even swinging her back and forth to work on my obliques. It's not much, but it's interactive, and her 23 lbs give me a bit more of a work out. Or I hold her and we dance around like crazy to a rocking CD. Every bit helps!
  • JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey not a single mum but my hubby works away a lot so feel like it sometimes!

After my first child I bought a treadmill and ran while she watched me.
    After my second child treadmill didn't work as had a toddler running around now so joined a gym that had daycare it was great for my sanity as well!
    Now they are a bit older (2&4) I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution dvd at home. I do it in the morning but it would be as easy to do it at night they go to bed at 7.30 so that's about 3 hours on my own where I could do it I just prefer the morning.

So I've experienced it all as long as you're moving it's all good so even walks with the pram will help you out. And don't forget running after kids is exercise in itself!!!

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • FitTchr
    Options
    You can never go wrong with a dance party with the little 'un! Lots of hikes, kicking soccer balls at the park, mini races to the front door, etc....I've got three, flying solo also-- we are all doing the push-up challenge together-- makes for some fun and great memories!
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I went through a divorce and was a single parent for a while, so I understand. I work and have a six year old. I find time to workout after work around six daily. On weekends, whenever I fit it in. You have to really Want it and Make the time. No excuses is my attitude now. Once you get in a routine, you will Look forward to it, odd enough. I used to hate exercise and find every excuse in the book. Now I only don't workout on my one rest day and if I'm hurting or ill.
    I started with Nike training app, which is great and most are 30 minutes. You can do it, good luck! :)
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that offered free daycare. I would work 6am-2pm, pick my daughter up from daycare, then we would head to the gym. She was right around a year old. I was married after my second. It was harder to make time with having 2 kids. I was lucky enough to buy a treadclimber and was able to workout at home. I would put my son down for nap and workout during that time. My daughter was 3 and she was content playing alone/watching movies during that time.
  • KLPlatinum
    Options
    I am also a single mother and have found that something I have to be creative to get my work outs in. I started my workouts with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or Ripped in 30. They are only 25 min workouts (It says 20 min on the DVD , but with warmup and cool down it's 25). I would do these workouts after my son went to bed at night. When I have a day where I don't have a lot of extra time, I do my own circuit training workout; multiple reps of squats, sit ups, pushups, lunges...etc while he is in the bath or while he is watching a show on TV. If you push yourself hard, you can burn quite a few calories in 15-20 mins. If you have stairs in your house use them for another mini workout. I run up and down mine for 10-15 mins. Since my kid is older (4) I take him on bike rides while I walk/jog/run beside him. It looks like yours isn't ready for that yet, but you could still go for a walk or jog with a stroller. I don't know what work is like for you, but could you take a walk at lunch?! When I actually get my full lunch time at work, I use some of the time to take a slow walk (don't want to go back to work sweaty)
    To some people all of these ideas my sound silly, but when you have limited time you do what you have to do. Getting a 15 min workout in each day is better then doing nothing each day!! It is working for me so far. I have been on MFP since Aug and have lost 25 pounds.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Some times I have to choose between getting some chores done and working out. As much as I hate mess, my bigger priority is being healthy for my family. If nobody already said it, there are tons of workouts on youtube. Zumba, yoga, palates...you name it! Mix them up so they don't get boring. Sometimes I even jog laps around my living room and computer room when my kids are in bed because the treadmill is so loud. Also you can find things like jumping jacks, counter push ups, curls (with water bottles or canned food if nothing else) that you can do sets of real quick in between other things. Get creative and good luck! You can do this!