A bit discouraged...MFP Forever?

Options
2»

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I love using MFP, but the problem with this approach is it focuses on calories rather than what kinds of foods you are eating. When you're eating the right types of food, it is very hard to go over your calorie limit. When you're eating the wrong kinds of food, it's very easy to overeat and gain weight. For long-term success, you have to cut the processed food out of your diet or severely limit it. You have to stop eating stuff with sugar added to it. Stuff that is made from refined grains. Even if you succeed in the short term by just using portion control with these foods, eventually the weight will creep back on because they spike your blood sugar and insulin, leading to hunger and fat storage. Focus on eating natural food - meat, eggs, nuts, vegetables, fruit, beans - with very limited amounts of sugar or grain.

But, that's just one way to do it. A very valid and lovely way, to be sure. There's no WAY my partner will ever do this. Ever. And, that's fine- he's a grown man who can make his own choices. So, why not use the site to figure out better serving sizes and healthier versions of what he already likes? I'm doing a little bit of both, myself.
  • erinashley91
    Options
    I'm halfway through my weight loss journey right now and after I have successfully gotten to my goal weight and have trimmed and toned and what not, then I would like to think that I would have the knowledge about low calorie foods to be able to not log all the time.

In saying that though, I think after completing my goal that I will still log every now and then and do some weigh ins once in a while just to see if I'm maintaining my weight correctly.

Everyone is on here for the same reason, to focus on their weight and being healthy. No matter what, I think MFP has made an impact on most if not all of us and I don't think it will be leaving our sides just like that! haha.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You can definitely do it without logging. Calorie counting shouldn't be something that your world revolves around forever. Take it slowly, instead of completely stopping, try taking a day off per week where you don't log and then slowly build it up till you don't log any more. I stopped logging for a while and I still mentally counted in my head and then gradually stopped counting at all. I stopped for different reasons though (it was getting unhealthily obsessive). Good luck! xx
  • SeahawkFan1
    Options
    I try to log every day but fridays is my day to cheat and buy a high calorie meal but I only do it once a week, even harder when i don't cook lol. I have noticed how many carbs i eat by logging what i eat, its a real eye opener for me so i'm kind of hooked on logging.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if I am here forever. I spend more time on here now than anything else..... and that's a good thing cause my life kinda revolves around here anyway now. I log as soon as I eat, or when I am eating & it's done with.

I know I could last without MFP, but why would I want to? I get the support & the telling off like I need :) If I had all that BEFORE I got fat then I would not have gotten fat.

MFP member for life.
  • KathleenH3
    Options
    Days I can't log I write in my diary, I have had a food diary for over a year now (as part of my recovery from my eating disorder) so it's not that you have to it online, just writing everything down and knowing you have to be honest with yourself with what you DO eat will help you make healthier choices.
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NotSoBigNeil
    NotSoBigNeil Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I plan on logging for a long long long long time (okay maybe forever). Why? Because of all the times I have tried to shed the nasty unwanted weight I have failed. It wasn't until I found MFP that I became successful at this lifestyle change. MFP is part of my lifestyle now.

It isn't hard or it doesn't take a lot of time to log so why not?

Total agreement ^^ :happy:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yeah, i'm not to sure if I can handle my goal either and not logging EVERYTHING plus my exercise.....
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    haha...watch them start charging for this-
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I view it like a routine part of personal care...showering, styling my hair, putting on a little make up....things that make me feel good about my presentation. I hope to remain dedicated ,to meet my goals, to continue with maintenance, and help encourage others to reach their goals.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to it but I know exactly what you mean. One day I almost forgot to log breakfast and lunch and I almost panicked as I knew it could easier become a pattern and I can't forget to log. I don't think I could cope without using MFP at least for a while as I am still learning and trying to adjust to everything. I know if I stop even for one day I am likely to go over my calories without even realising it. So yes I think I will be using this for a long time (unless they start charging) which would mean trying to do the same thing on my computer instead.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't look at it as an all or nothing kind of thing. I regularly take breaks from logging. I'm on a 2 week break now. I don't log at all on weekends or holidays.

Long term, I'd rather have periods of my life where I don't think too hard about calories, then reign it in a little and log again if my pants start to get tight, than be super strict all. the. time. I think that's healthier for me emotionally.

Also, I've learned to ignore the scale as long as my clothes are still fitting fine. I weight 6-8 pounds more than I did a year ago, but I'm smaller now.

I want to add that I agree with this also. I'm taking a few days of from logging right now. I don't log on holidays or vacations. There will be times that I won't log - and I won't be hung up on a number on the scale. It's more about how my body looks and feels than what that number says.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    MFP is a tool. A good tool, granted, but still just a tool. In order to become healthy and remain healthy, you must change your life, that means changing how you think about food, how you think about nutrition, how you think about exercise, and what you really want for yourself. Once you have those things down, it's simply a matter of being strong, being vigilent, and staying honest with yourself. There's no shortcut to being healthy, cutting calories is fine, but that's not a long term solution, the only solution is understanding yourself and sticking to your goals.

In other words, step away from the "diet", grab hold of a new lifestyle and become that new lifestyle.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. I am at my goal weight and I still log my food. It helps keep me accountable, I don't see a point in stopping any time soon. I'm ok with it.
  • FarmFoodDiet
    FarmFoodDiet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean with having a partner who doesn't want to make the same change. My guy equates healthy eating with eating "rabbit food," as do most people. But then he was shocked that I don't eat "rabbit food." I prefer eggs and bacon (or quiche)) for breakfast over cereal, because the latter spikes your blood sugar and causes you to be hungry again in no time. When I make dinner for example, it's: a piece of meat (even steak), a sweet potato with cinnamon and 1-2 pats of butter, and veggies. Not a plate full of pasta with a sugar-laden pasta sauce and a side of bread! When I serve natural fatty foods, he doesn't have much appetite left for junk!