Exercise in the Home

Options
Due to my work schedule and family commitments it is hard for me to get out in the evenings and go for a run/to the gym.

Does anyone have any helpful hints and tips on effective exercises I can do without leaving the house?

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    There are loads of exercises on youtube all free. Give them a go. You can choose what you like from 30 day shred to Zumba. They are all there.
  • Babieseverywhere
    Babieseverywhere Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have started using Kinnect X box games in order to exercise at home...that said I did an hour of 'My Shape Cardio Boxing' two days ago and I can't walk properly today !
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    There are loads of exercises on youtube all free. Give them a go. You can choose what you like from 30 day shred to Zumba. They are all there.

Brilliant, thank you for the tip! I shall definitely try some out now!
  • Rachielous
    Options
    I have started using Kinnect X box games in order to exercise at home...that said I did an hour of 'My Shape Cardio Boxing' two days ago and I can't walk properly today !

I am pleased you have said this as my brain tells me that you would not burn as many calories at home as at the gym - obviously dependant on the exercise that is a ridiculous theory!

Getting my gym shoes on now ready for some youtube-ercise!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    I am pleased you have said this as my brain tells me that you would not burn as many calories at home as at the gym - obviously dependant on the exercise that is a ridiculous theory!

I know ! I feel this way too but an hour at home exercising with my HRM showed that I burnt a reasonable amount of calories (same as an outside the house exercise class) and my body certainly feels it today :)
  • Rachielous
    Options
    I just tried a bit of home exercise and am in a heap on the floor after less that 10 minutes - boy oh boy what a wake up call to my seriously low fitness levels!
  • Babieseverywhere
    Options
    I just tried a bit of home exercise and am in a heap on the floor after less that 10 minutes - boy oh boy what a wake up call to my seriously low fitness levels!

LOL, oh dear...heap on the floor is not a good look. However the good news is you are ten minutes fitter now and the next ten minutes of exercising you do will be slightly easier than today and after that it will get easier still....you are on your way :)
  • mrclark09
    mrclark09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Walking lunges through your home; calf raises while you are at the sink doing dishes or brushing your teeth; full squats when picking something up from the ground. To get some cardio in, while watching tv do jumping jacks during the commercials or 30sec planks w/ 30sec rest (planks are awesome!). When I am folding laundry, I put one piece away at a time and I try to see how fast I can do it.
  • fit_and_fab_after_kids
    Options
    i do dvds, skipping, jogging on the spot, up and down the stairs holding weights, purchased a cheap weights set and google weight exercises, when i really don't feel like working out i do the dvds cause then it feels like their doing it with me and im not alone lol :)
  • Rachielous
    Options
    Walking lunges through your home; calf raises while you are at the sink doing dishes or brushing your teeth; full squats when picking something up from the ground. To get some cardio in, while watching tv do jumping jacks during the commercials or 30sec planks w/ 30sec rest (planks are awesome!). When I am folding laundry, I put one piece away at a time and I try to see how fast I can do it.

Wowee! You are the home exercise guru!
  • tenkesh
    Options
    I signed up to gym again last week, but for the past 4 years I've been working out at home. Doing P90X, P90X+, P90X2 and Insanity. These are awesome programs that you can do at home and get amazing results if you keep pushing play and eating healthy.
  • tallgirl1960
    tallgirl1960 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cheap weights, a Reebok step and really good fast music, played as loud as you can. If you've never done step before you can find loads of youtube videos on it. I love it and it was pretty much all I did for first 3 months, lost weight but mainly got very fit. This was proved when I started P90x 3 weeks ago, it is tough but not as tough as I thought I would find it and that's because I had got my stamina up. Also did crunchies, stretches, lunges....all to music though, really motivates me.Good luck .
  • craftybirdy
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv is a web site with new workouts every few days. They are short high intensity workout with minimal equipement. If you don't have the right equipement, they always provide alternatives and options for all fitness levels. And best of all - it's free.
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a set of TRX straps and resistance bands in my basement. The workout takes me about 30 min., and has produced really good results! I try to walk on other days.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I started with EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation. That ended up being a "gateway drug" to more serious exercise, and now I have a weight bench and barbell and do heavy lifting at home.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    YouTube has great exercise videos. Other than that... free weights, body weight exercises, jump rope. For me... I'll sometimes just run up and down my stairs.
  • svgarcia
    svgarcia Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv is a web site with new workouts every few days. They are short high intensity workout with minimal equipement. If you don't have the right equipement, they always provide alternatives and options for all fitness levels. And best of all - it's free.

I must take a look at that....
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I workout at home all the time. Walking is always a great option - you can even take the kids. I have several workout DVDs and tapes I use or, as others have mentioned, there are hundreds of them online. If you don't have time to do a workout video, the old school exercises still work - pushups, sit-ups, stairs, etc.
  • mrclark09
    mrclark09 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Wowee! You are the home exercise guru!

I get really bored doing the dvds. Google is wonderful when I'm looking for new ways to change up my workout. I have a treadmill and I lift weights which I use about 6 days a week, but these moves give a little boost to my workout routine. And the laundry one is fun too because my dog chases me around :)
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jillian Micheals DVDs - esp 30 day shred and ripped in 30 - can't reccomend them more! I never did ANY execrise before, now I have (little but definate) abs!