Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions?

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site so if this is the wrong area sorry >.<

I was put on a medication to jump start my metabolism and boost my energy. As such, it will increase my heart rate. I'm considering getting a heart rate monitor to be safe and to be able to track my burn. I've never used one so I don't know how simple/reliable/accurate they are and I don't wanna spend a ton of money on something that may not be worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with them or suggestions on which ones would be worth the investment?

Replies

• Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, and i love it!! It was about $150, but worth every penny. It gives you a more accurate heart rate, which also gives you a more accurate calorie burn than any exercise machine can. DOnt get one thats too cheap, I bought my boyfriend one that was $60 and it didnt work...Get one with the chest strap though, much more accurate!
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also got a Polar FT4 and I haven't regretted it for one second! I love love love it and am so happy I made the investment because it has been key to my weight loss so far :smile:

Highly recommended!!
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    considering your situation maybe a fitbit would be better? I own a polar but only wear it working out. don't own a fitbit but from what i've read it sounds right for you.
  • melissalandrum
    melissalandrum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60. It works great. If you just want an accurate heart rate monitor without a lot of extra features, the Polar FT4 would probably work just fine for you and it's about half the price of the FT60. I bought mine from this site and they have the FT4 on sale this week http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-purple.html . The Garmin's are rated comparable to the Polar's. So, just look for the features that you want at the best price and you should be good with either of these brands as far as accuracy and reliabilty go.
  • Brittaura
    Brittaura Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions I'm looking them all up at the moment. I had never heard of a fitbit so I looked it up, from what I read it seemed like the same thing?
  • Brittaura
    Options
    Dunno if it matters, but my work outs are 35-45 mins of cardio (mostly treadmill, spinning, or elliptical) and a toning circuit my trainer made me (one is for cybex machines and the other is with free weights). I have 2 sets of each and I switch them around throughout a couple weeks so my body doesn't get used to a certain routine.
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about the FitBit, but I would highly recommend something that has a chest strap or another way to actually measure your heart rate. I currently have a Nike Fuelband that tells me calories burned, etc. but since there's no actual contact with my heartrate, I know it's an estimate just based on heigh and weight and everyone, even with the same height and weight can differ by a lot. So really, I just use the Fuelband for a general idea and for fun.

I have a Polar FT4 as well that I use during actual workouts. The chest strap is on me and constantly tracks my heart rate so I feel like I'm getting the most consistent readings and therefore calculations regarding calories lost. I used to have a Mio but it was the one where I had to touch two areas to measure heartrate and it's not very accurate if you touch it at a higher rate adn then don't touch it again for a while.

Since then, I've only ever used Polar. But whatever you decide, I really would recommend something with a chest strap.
  • Brittaura
    Options
    The only differences I can see b/w the FT70 and FT80 is that the 80 has a gps and an at rest test.... is this correct? There's a pretty significant difference in price....
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i love my polar f4 but i wish i got one that records steps/distance. but i still love it!!