Raw Eggs

Options
Is it bad to add raw eggs to a smoothie, for instance? I keep seeing people post about that, but I thought it was a little dangerous to do that.

thanks

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I thought it increased the risk of salmonella, but I know someone who does it and claim they are fine.

Here's an interesting read on the subject: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/drinking-raw-eggs/#axzz2Bq1xxGgH
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I thought it increased the risk of salmonella, but I know someone who does it and claim they are fine.

Here's an interesting read on the subject: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/drinking-raw-eggs/#axzz2Bq1xxGgH

Cool. Thanks. Kinda seems like there's a slight risk. Probably better to cook them.

What I have been doing is have a smoothie in th morning, and then either eat 4 boiled eggs, or just cook 4 or 6 egg whites for the protein. I was just wondering if there was some benefit to just mixing them into the smoothie, but it sounds like, not really. Cooking them is better protein absorbtion.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Not recommended to ingest raw eggs because of the risk of salmonella. I buy All Whites which are pasturized liquid egg whites to put in my smoothies to boost the protein. They are usually near the egg secton in the market.

But making a fruit smoothie and having eggs on the side is a great option too.

Do you put a handful of baby spinach or kale into your smoothies? Yes, it changes the color but I swear I can't taste it at all.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    According to the article you can decrease your risk by getting the organic free-range instead, so go for those when you do raw.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I only eat organic, free range eggs, (which I get from my own chickens, so I know exactly how safe they are. Obvously this isn't an option for a lot of people) and I don't usually eat them raw, but i do like them undercooked. I read that really organic, free range eggs are fine, but unless you're getting them from someone's chickens, I'd still cook them.
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sat 11/10/12 08:57 AM

I only eat organic, free range eggs, (which I get from my own chickens, so I know exactly how safe they are. Obvously this isn't an option for a lot of people) and I don't usually eat them raw, but i do like them undercooked. I read that really organic, free range eggs are fine, but unless you're getting them from someone's chickens, I'd still cook them.

All eggs come from "someone's" chickens!!! LOL - just playin with ya!!!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    There is some risk, but I've never been afraid of raw or undercooked eggs. I think it's mostly because when we were growing up my dad always put raw eggs in our milkshakes.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    naw its no big deal... i dont do it cuz id rather eat them cooked so i can feel more full and add like hot sauce n stuff but do it if you want it wont kill you
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I don't put spinach in my smoothies, instead i put a teaspoon of Caite's Organic Greens. And, I don't buy egg whites, I can do that myself. It's like 5 times the price or something. I eat an entire carton in one sitting, and a carton around here is around $6. I can buy 18 eggs for about $3. I don't need a factory to make egg whites. LOL. That's about as silly as buying frozen fruit. LOL. Who does that? Anyway...onward...

Thanks all.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options
    All uncooked/unwashed foods are a risk for food borne illness. There is no reason to consume raw eggs except for increasing your risk for illness.