HELP ME - I WANT TO QUIT

Options
I started working on this week and I feel great but I feel so freaking huge and out of place. I feel like everyone is staring at me and is very disgusted :embarassed: :embarassed: :embarassed: What should I do? All you fit people out there what do you think when you see someone like me at the club? I am almost under the 300's and so excited about this. Can anyone help me, I don't even want to go today. I am so mad at myself, that I let myself get this big. :mad:

Replies

• CHRISSYEPSON
    Options
    You should be very proud of yourself for the 12 pounds you lost! Don't give up, or give into shallow people, who cares what they think! Life is short, by happy, be proud of who you are ....either 105 pounds or 305 pounds.....God made you and he does not make mistakes!
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You've accomplished so much already. We all have faith in you and know you can do it. We all get discouraged sometimes, and as corny as this is going to sound, sometimes we need to hit our low points so we can see how far we can push ourselves and see what we're really made of. That being said, don't overdue it and make sure you take time for yourself too! :wink:
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    Remember why you are doing this in the first place. Think about how good you feel when you exercise. Think about how healthy you are going to be. Think about all the energy you are going to have. Think about how you are stronger than the nastiest looks that anyone can give. Perhaps they are wondering if you will stick it out, prove to them that you will. You might need a buddy to give you some support. If you like the gym, don't let anyone take away your right to claim your own health back. You can do this! You deserve this!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    You'll find that it's probably all in your head. Most people who go to the gym aren't there to check out other people, they're there to work out and get fit themselves. So most likely, no one's even noticing you, other than you're there and giving it effort! :wink:

Keep it up - you're not there for them, you're there for you!!
  • volumptuousgirl
    Options
    I feel the same way about myself. I am at 201 and hate myself the way I am right now. I feel like everyone is judging me to the point that I don't even keep in touch with old friends cause I don't want them to see me. It's pathetic and so that is why I decided to finally start doing something about it. I don't have a gym where I live so I have to workout at home to a dvd or go walking. Even when I go walking I feel like I'm drawing attention to myself and feel embarrased. But you know what? At least I'm doing something about it. You've already lost 12 lbs. so you too are turning yourself around. We are not just sitting around whining about it - WE ARE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Hang in there!
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    You want to know what most people at the gym thing when they see a large person there... they are thinking.... well, she is here, she is trying, thats great. seriously. You are making an effort, and if you stick with it it WILL work! I started probably close to where you were... i started at 326 pounds. Dont worry about what other people are thinking... do this for you! YOU ARE WORTH IT!

It will be one year for me come sunday, and let me tell you, if you had told me I would be able to lose 110 pounds in one year I would have laughed at you.. but look at me.. here I am one year later and 110 pounds lighter, and feeling SO MUCH BETTER. I still have a way to go, but I will get there... and so will you if you make the choice to go.

Just think, in one year those people who you *think* are laughing at you (but really are not) will be in amazement when you slim down before their eyes. Trust me, I get comments from people at the gym all the time now about how good I am looking... and how much of an inspiration I have been to them even though I dont even talk to them... especially those people I have come to know in the spin classes I do... i love spinning!

Good luck to you, and keep moving... it is worth it!~
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't judge you at all.
    The people at the gym whether they are fit or overweight are there for the same reason, besides we all focus on our own workouts and if you're not comfortable yet...it will come. Make a friend, take a class, get a personal trainer for a day or two to help you ease into it. :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    All you fit people out there what do you think when you see someone like me at the club?

I'd think "Way to go, you deserve to treat yourself well and take care of yourself! If I did it, you can do it!" Or I'd think "It's tough starting out, but keep at it and you're gonna feel great and be so proud of yorself!"
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. Think about being healthier for your boys and for yourself. Screw everyone else!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I know it's common to feel this way, but don't quit. Don't even think about the others at the gym. You are doing this for you and your health and no one else there matters. To be honest with you, when I see someone at the gym who is extremely overweight, I think it's awesome to see them there trying to make a healthy change.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    There are 2 specific women I see frequently at my gym who are probably in the upper 200s and when I see them crankin away on the cardio, it really encourages me. I feel like I shouldn't give up because these girls aren't. I only have about 30 lbs to lose and these girls are doing their best to lose a LOT more than that. I get excited! So don't be discouraged or feel like giving up because it WILL take time. Weight loss isn't overnight and if it is, it sure as hell isn't healthy that way. Keep it up!!!
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    You may be overweight and be intimidated a little by going to the gym, i know i used to but It doesn't matter what other people think

The important thing is that you are there and doing something about it.

Don't give up when you've already started to make good progress.

You get more respect than you realise just by making the efoort and going there
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    When you walk into the gym just smile at the people who stare. Smile at them and say something nice. WHO CARES what they think?? This is YOUR body and YOUR health!

I know it is easy for me to write this stuff but please try and get into the positive mindset of thinking how good you will feel after you exercise. Plus, think how good you will feel when you get below the 300 mark!

Wow, I wish I could go to a gym; I can't afford a membership right now (unemployed/fix low income blah)....but I wish I could go with you; we'd RULE that gym! Be proud!

Good luck to you!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    I think it's awesome for larger people to be at the gym, we're all there for the same reason.

But, remember you're making life style changes - they take time. They take patience from within ourselves as well. It's important to focus on the important sides of our journeys, our main goal is optimal health. How we do that is by changing our eating habits and throw in some exercise. It's very easy to be sucked into the mental image head game war. Don't let it win over your true efforts. You are worth every step you take down the path you want to be on. You need to be proud of every step you've taken so far and every step you will take. Remember too, that mental self sabotage is just as bad as eating an entire bg of chips.

This is for you, so, focus on you and smile every step of the way. :flowerforyou:
  • jmanning
    jmanning Posts: 11
    Options
    Everybody has to start somewhere. Over time, you'll get less 'freaking huge' and will feel more part of it. Dr. Seuss said in one of his books- Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I didn't start out very fit and I still have a ways to go but I love when I see new faces arrive. It's just sad when they don't stay in it for the long run, because sticking with it and making the gym part of your life is the best way to really see physical changes that stick. Have a plan for every gym session, or better yet hire a trainer for at least a month. That way you have someone to make you accountable for the workout.

Channel the anger at yourself into resolve to change. The change won't happen fast but if you keep track of the calorie input and increase your calorie burn, the transformation will begin and continue.

Hope this helps and didn't sound too preachy.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Don't quit... Really, I always think to myself... WAY TO GO!!!...

I'm not a small girl and when I'm at the gym, I look for someone on a treadmill or an eliptical that is going to challenge me and I go either next to them or one away, depending on the day, just for the challenge.

Keep going... Never give up!
    Have a great day!
    Angela
  • momieof2
    momieof2 Posts: 98
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I really needed it! :love: I just have to stay focused. When I get discouraged again, I will re-read the post. Great Inspiration!!!!!:heart::heart: THANK YOU ALL!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way i work out all the time i eat right and not lost but from reading other posts i need to eat more,
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When I first started out I felt this way too. But I soon realized that most people are so caught up in their own workouts that they don't notice me at all and those who do are usually thinking positive things like "Good for her for making such a positive change."

I have even had people approach me and tell me how great I am doing and how hard they see me working and that it motivates them to work harder too.

When I started running I also noticed how positive people are. It is not uncommon for people to honk and say encouraging things. At first I though there were being sarcastic but I have realized now that they aren't.

People in general are pretty supportive, after all you are there for a common goal, your health. And those who are not supportive, well who really cares what they think anyways?

I no longer worry about what others are thinking. I have even worked out to the point of falling flat on my face doing push ups and burpies. I just laugh, shake it off and think about the results I will see from my hard work.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are thinking. I still have to coach myself. Before I go in, or if I start to get intimidated in my head, I take a deep breath and say to myself "I doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. I'm here to do my best and improve my health. What they think is their business, I'm not going to worry about it." Usually works! Also I try to remember that saying that goes something like - people don't think about you nearly as often as you think they are thinking about you. Most people at the gym are doing what you're doing - trying to be more fit and healthier!

Keep it up! Someday you will be the thin, in shape person that the unfit, overweight person is worrying about, and you will be sending compassionate thoughts and smiles and encouragement their way. :flowerforyou: