How long does it take to fix a 3day bingeathon?

Options
Like say about 3800 calories per day give or take a couple hundred? I'm so fed up with myself. I want to blame MFP because it's never been this bad before and then now that I know how many calories are in food I feel more stressed out and therefore want to eat more to make myself better but then I feel guilty so I eat even more to punish myself. It's an endless cycle that results in me never losing any weight.

Sorry I'm just looking for support right now and whining about my miserable weekend. Don't mind me, I'm just a fat cow.

Who will die fat.
And be fat.
Forever.

I'm sorry I may or may not be hugging a bottle of scotch right now.

Replies

• BurkYoung
    Options
    OUCH !!!!! We and you are all human.... it took YEARS for most people to put it on....

Give yourself a break... not all "dieting" is physical... take care of mind body and soul.....

If you like to read I would suggest Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Millman... you need to learn to appreciate your unique worth and discover that every day, every moment, each slice in time is something to be adored... even the ugly times...

You are not your body... but your body is part of you.... message any time you feel you are dirt, cause your not :-)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It's not too bad, last Saturday I was much the same with Bonfire night party, food & booze, but sensible eating during week meant my weekly calorie intake averaged out just fine

Scotch, yep done that, but my preferred tipple is rum, since mfp though I normally add diet cola to it instead of just necking it :drinker:
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    "No more giving up!"
  • bananabrownie
    Options
    "No more giving up!"

Touche.
  • sgreen328
    Options
    You need to stop beating yourself up. It doesn't help in fact it makes things worse, because the worse you feel the worse you will eat. This is a lifestyle change, 1 day or even 3 will not undo everything you are working on changing and it takes a long time to make changes stick. If this is regular problem for you I recommend Overeaters Anonymous. I reached epic proportions with my weight before I found online meetings and accepted help. If you need anyone to vent to, feel free to message me.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to fix it?

NO MORE TIME!

You need to focus!!!!!

You had your relaxing time, you had your fun, and (meanly enough) you've paid the price for it.

So, use this as a weight loss lesson. I know you never want to feel this regret again, so DON'T

:flowerforyou:
  • ma_oeuvre
    Options
    My advice is to relax. It's happened, it's over, it's gone. Put the scale away for a few days and get on with what needs to be done. I've been where you are many times and I KNOW that I will be there again because, that, apparently, is how I roll. It's a bad time, and that is where you show your real strength - not in the days where you're up for some cardio, you're really in the mood to lift some weights, or you're not even hungry enough to consider going over your calorie goal. It's the bad times when you're stressed out, you've already messed up a day, and you feel like hell - those are the days you really stand tall and say HELL NO. Get back to it - this is, as I say, where you really show your strength, determination, and motivation.

My advice now: draw a line under it. Do some of the things you might have been neglecting, go read a book, or if it's early enough work out. 30 minutes. Whatever you want. It all counts.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    First off i'm sorry, it's not fun to feel that way (trust me I know).
    Second, we are human...we all make mistakes. What we can take from that is we learn and move on.

I too am a binge eater, emotional eater...
    Just last night I found myself stuck in a bag of gummy worms, not measuring my dinner out, and then leading myself to the frozen yogurt in my freezer. It happened, my scale moved up a pound in a day and of course I was upset with myself. What did I learn, I shouldn't have done what I did and this is the result I face...but guess what, that pound will be off in no time and I can always move forward.

Feel free to add me or message me, we all can use motivation and support :)
  • jsbodhi
    Options
    There are a lot of worse things you could have done the last 3 days than eat too much! Such as a hit and run, stealing, hitting someone etc, you're not as awful as you think! Whenever I have a major binge like that, I just have to laugh it off and think "WOW" that was ridiculous and start over again. These things happen, none of us are exempt from it. Relax, don't be so hard on yourself ; keep calm and carry on!
  • simba01
    simba01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We all fall off the wagon at some point. Pick yourself up, and start over!! This is a new lifestyle. It will take some time to get in the habit of eating healthy. Today is a new day!!
  • riveradee
    riveradee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    its gone..past..learn from it..you don't have to feel like this aagin...move on to today..you CAN do it!,,tell yourself kind loving things.not mean ones xx
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. It's so much better to know what the food you are eating. That way you know WHY the pounds aren't going away, rather than the scale increasing. It is difficult- you are breaking habits that have probably been there for awhile.
    How do you fix it? the day after you have a bad day, you make an effort to make it better. You go slow. You realize that this is a LIFELONG change, NOT a diet. You stop beating up on yourself, you forget the past, and you move forward.

Now only if I believed this as strongly as I should... :drinker:

Breathe and take one day at a time. Just because you "messed up" and you weren't perfect just means that you are human. Have a better day the next day :)
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of worse things you could have done the last 3 days than eat too much! Such as a hit and run, stealing, hitting someone etc, you're not as awful as you think! Whenever I have a major binge like that, I just have to laugh it off and think "WOW" that was ridiculous and start over again. These things happen, none of us are exempt from it. Relax, don't be so hard on yourself ; keep calm and carry on!
    this!:smile:
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. The first couple od weeks on MFP should be a learning experience. I was SHOCKED @ how many calories I was eating on a daily basis (for years).

It takes time to get in the groove. I always feel better if I go for a walk after pigging out. It may not cancel out all of the calories eaten but I feel better emotionally & less bloated.

You can do this.....
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    3800 extra calories per day, or 3800 per day total? That's not bad, and it won't derail you. Remember, you have to eat 3500 calories per day OVER your maintenance calories (not the calories MFP set for you) to gain a pound. So, you may have gained a pound or two this week, but it's probably water weight/sodium from binging.

Honestly, just get back to tracking, get back to exercising, and don't feel bad. I still fall prey to binges on occasion, mostly during PMS, and I just chalk that week up as a "no loss" week and exercise even harder to try to at least catch up to the binge. It's okay. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You don't have to lose X pounds in X months. If it takes six months, twelve months, sixteen months to lose 30, 50, 75 pounds... that's okay! You're still losing, you're still trying, and that's all that matters.

*hugs*

I used to feel that way too. "I'll be fat forever. I can't do this." Well, I've lost 41 pounds, and now I know that even if I have a bad day, I know it won't put all 41 pounds back on me overnight. I still feel great because I'm eating better and exercising, and that's a wonderful feeling. Even if I maintain my weight for a week or two and don't put up a loss, I know I'm doing a good thing for my body and trying my hardest.

Hang in there!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I only see two days in your diary. The first day, you still ate about 500 under your maintenance. The second was only over by 500. So in reality, you basically ate your maintenance calories for 2 days.

Quit throwing a pity party, put your weight loss at half a pound a week and don't deprive yourself. That's how you make this work.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. The first couple od weeks on MFP should be a learning experience. I was SHOCKED @ how many calories I was eating on a daily basis (for years).

It takes time to get in the groove. I always feel better if I go for a walk after pigging out. It may not cancel out all of the calories eaten but I feel better emotionally & less bloated.

You can do this.....
    I agree with all of this. I call it a "recovery walk". :)

Also, MFP opened my eyes to how many calories I was eating. It was depressing at first, but now I'm so, so, SO glad I started tracking my food. It made me realize things I thought were healthy are actually very high in calories. On the flip side, some things I thought were high in calories really aren't so bad, so there was a bit of relief too. :) It taught me to really, truly look at labels. It taught me to balance my meals better so I don't run out of calories before 5:00.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    its not easy
    we are all on the same boat. its easy to get off track, easy to just give in and eat or relax for the day without exercise

we dont reach our goals without hard work and determination

we are all on this to change our lives and encouragement from other MFP users can push us to keep on track but we wont go anywhere without our own will power

dont give up! you can do it!!!! :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Like say about 3800 calories per day give or take a couple hundred? I'm so fed up with myself. I want to blame MFP because it's never been this bad before and then now that I know how many calories are in food I feel more stressed out and therefore want to eat more to make myself better but then I feel guilty so I eat even more to punish myself. It's an endless cycle that results in me never losing any weight.

Sorry I'm just looking for support right now and whining about my miserable weekend. Don't mind me, I'm just a fat cow.

Who will die fat.
    And be fat.
    Forever.

I'm sorry I may or may not be hugging a bottle of scotch right now.
    Sometimes, you've just got to find a way of breaking the cycle. The part in bold is a good place to start. It might seem like an afterthought, but for most people with these issues, mentally beating yourself up is an important part of the cycle. You're still very young, don't leave it another few decades before you realise that guilt and self-loathing around eating doesn't actually solve anything. :flowerforyou:

You ate food. You didn't kill anyone (as far as I know). Just dust yourself off and do better tomorrow.
  • mommyrox05
    Options
    What I can offer is this, we are all human...and we all make mistakes. We all fall off the horse a time or two...and what you have to do from here is this...Love yourself enough to get back on the horse. I read this quote on instagram and it was very motivational for me. Maybe it will help you too. "NO NEGATIVE SELF TALK, EXCUSES, OR GIVING UP ALLOWED HERE". I don't think that it will take too much time to take off the 3 days that you ate out of control...get up, dust youself off, and commit to eating the right foods (within your calorie goal), commit to exercising 3-4 times a week, drink a LOT of water...AND finally commit to changing the rest of your life for the better! You CAN do this! Chin up...eye on the prize!