Anyone training for your first half marathon?

Options
hi all (: i am not new here, but i am new to training for a half marathon. i have done a couple of 5k's & really want to take on 13.1 in april! i have registered for an all-womens race and i am really looking forward to it. please friend me if you are also training for your first half, i'd love some extra support and motivation!

Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I just completed my very first 5k and about died! I never walk outside or anything, its always gym work... I complete 2 miles in anywhere from 20-30 mins depending on the day and how I feel.

Finished the 5K in 50 mins....

I intend to do a zombie run in March in Forney! I'm very excited and hopefully I can finished it in less then 40 mins at that point!
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Have fun training =) I just did my first half a week ago and am doing my second one in 5 weeks. I'm addicted!
  • tr33p1g
    Options
    I'm hoping to do a half marathon in May. I'm currently hitting 5km between 23 - 25 minutes and 10km in 55 minutes. Feel free to add if you like.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've done four 5k's since September and someone in my running group got sick before the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. With two days notice and no training outside of Couch 2 5k, I took her place for the half. I surprised myself that I was able to complete it in 2:48 and even ran the first 10 miles. They say to increase your mileage no more than 10% per week for training, but I managed it without training and was running (slowly) again after two days of rest.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half marathon...I am finishing up my second week of training using Hal Higdon's novice1 but I haven't found a half to register for yet...want to get a little further into my training before signing up. But am signing up for a 5k at the 6 week mark as suggested - Reindeer Romp (sounds fun).

I have competed in the Warrior Dash this year and last year so far....I would also like to do the Tough Mudder, Hero Rush and a Triathlon (but I have to learn to swim first...I got started this summer).

Edit -- Sent friend request
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Me too. I did my first 10k about a month ago and I'm going to shoot for a half marathon next (but probably not until spring).
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ran my first half in July, didn't do as well as I should have but then again my longest training run was only 6miles. I finished in 2:49:16. I am training for a 10mi race right now in December and will be getting ready for another half this spring. Best of luck on your training and feel free to add me!

Also, check out the group called "MFP Christmas Crawl". A lot of the runners on here couldn't find local December races so kind of thought it would be fun to do a virtual race of sorts. Thought you might be interested :)
  • BigJayUK
    BigJayUK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have just returned to running after a long lay off due to injuries.
    Completed a couple of 5k's with times around the 28 minute mark.
    Planning on competing in a couple of 10k's earlier next year
    and later in the year a half marathon.

Please feel free to add me (thats everyone on here).
    I also use endomondeo for tracking my runs if anyone uses that.
    Thanks, Jay
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I did my first half last weekend with some training, I wasn't as well prepared as I should have been but it was also part trail.
    Make sure you do hill training, it'll help out so much!

Feel free to add me

Edit to add: I did finish my half in 2:06 and some seconds - the race officials calculated a 9:41 avg pace
  • marckrebs44
    Options
    I have signed up to walk a half-marathon in February. I have lost 75 pounds since starting MFP in late Dec. 2011, and have another 10 lbs. to go. I'm using the half-marathon as my next goal to achieve, and to celebrate my weight loss success. I'll start my 14-week training for the half-marathon on Monday.

Please feel free to add me as a MFP friend if you'd like. I'm also using endomondo to track my walks, so please feel free to friend me there as well.

Wishing everyone great success on their half-marathons!

Marc
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Not training for my first, I have done maybe 25 1/2s. But happy to support you if you like. Feel free to friend me or ask me anything
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm trying to get up to half marathoan. No real target date and I'm not using any training programme to get there.
    I am pretty comfortable with 5 and 10k runs, and did my very first 15k on the treadmil (inclined) last Saturday in 86.10.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Congrads on committing to your first half marathon. I ran my first half in April of this year have since done 2 more.

I use a motoactv watch to track my run (and listen to music).

I use to use my phone with runkeeper but ruined two phones with sweat so i bought the motoactv watch. ( i still use runkeeper but import my data in from motoactv.

My fast half was 2 hour and 16 minutes

Feel free to add me if you want so we can support each other and you can do it! the Key is to do the training and stay focused.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am not training for my first half but am a fellow runner. Run my first 20k in June and first half a few weeks ago. Feel free to add me as a friend :).
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am the world's slowest runner:bigsmile: . Been running since the end of July, but frankly i don't care how slow I am, I'm just chuffed to bits that I have finally conquered it after years of not getting the hang of it! Currently running 10-13 miles a week, and signed up for my first Half on 21st April. Feel free to send FR if we have anything n common.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 half's now. First was in July, and My 2nd was last weekend.

Totally loved it. You'll have plenty of time for training.

Feel free to add me.

I plan on running 3 half's next year. I've even created an insanity asylum/13.1 training program (as I'm doing tough Mudder in Jan, so I thought it would make a good combo).

Feel free to add me.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I haven't started training yet but I'm looking to do my first this spring or summer! Adding you :)
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you! I'm not there yet, but I want to be someday! I am doing my first 5K on Thanksgiving!