Rice, baked potato or pasta? The lesser of the evil

Options
I am trying to stay low carb so I try not to eat these as much as possible, but sometimes I just need to. Trying to decide the best of the evils.

I think Pasta is out all together, so microwaved bake potao with a little butter or long grain white rice (sorry I've tried brown blech) with a tiny bit of butter.

Or suggested alternatives. I am making a good effort to avoid it but sometimes you just need it. I am wondering if rice is the better option as it is more easily controlled portion wise?

Replies

• Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    The only evil thing you're doing is going on a low carb diet.
  • Dodgers33089
    Options
    I always eat about 50% of my calories as carbs, and no fad diet telling me to go heavy protein/low carb/keto/paleo etc etc etc will ever change that

as for the question on hand, i love love rice. I probably eat rice 4 times a week as my go to side dish
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

^^^truth

and the answer is potatos... veggie carbs have more micronutrients in comparrison.
  • wobblyweevil
    Options
    Rice - that way it's easier to just cook/serve yourself/eat a spoonful, if you want a taste or a little something to mop up curry juice.
  • nannye
    Options
    I'm not trying to eat no carbs, just less carbs specifically pasta, rice and potatos because they all tend to be pretty high in calories, and I don't always want to waste my calories on them. I still eat carbs and bread and such.

I am just trying to eat less processed foods too. I am not going on a low carb diet or paleo or anything, I just don't necessarily want to use that many calories on them, but when I do what is the better one to eat.
  • MandyMoo3000
    Options
    You can eat any of them, as long as you balance your carbs and proteins. Eat complex carbs, as they are slow release, and don't give you the sugar slump an hour or so later. the less processed the food the better. If you find it hard to balance your carbs and proteins, (like me, as I am veggie) try adding protein shakes. Warning, they taste hideous, but are a necessary evil for me.
  • Game8
    Options
    I'm not trying to eat no carbs, just less carbs specifically pasta, rice and potatos because they all tend to be pretty high in calories, and I don't always want to waste my calories on them. I still eat carbs and bread and such.

I am just trying to eat less processed foods too. I am not going on a low carb diet or paleo or anything, I just don't necessarily want to use that many calories on them, but when I do what is the better one to eat.

Carbs have as many calories as proteins (each 4 calories per gram) whereas fats have 9 calories per gram.
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Theyre all really high carb foods, if your on low carb why wouldn't you just stick with fruits & veggies as a carb source? its easier & lower glycemic, I'd thnk you'd be more successful on it that way but just my two cents :)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay low carb so I try not to eat these as much as possible, but sometimes I just need to. Trying to decide the best of the evils.

I think Pasta is out all together, so microwaved bake potao with a little butter or long grain white rice (sorry I've tried brown blech) with a tiny bit of butter.

Or suggested alternatives. I am making a good effort to avoid it but sometimes you just need it. I am wondering if rice is the better option as it is more easily controlled portion wise?
    SHIRATAKI TOFU NOODLES ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO! 40 CALORIES FOR LARGE 8 0Z. SERVING. JUST LIKE REAL PASTA!

SEE THE FOLLOWING THREAD:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/792235-awesome-no-calorie-noodles-shirataki-miracle-noodles
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    From what I understand fiber, counteracts carbs. So things like Brown Rice are good because they are so high fiber. Sweet potato are good too. They also have these health food noodles that have no carbs. Just google no carb noodles. Texture is weird, and the stuff they package them in smells nasty but if you rinse them THOROUGHLY and douse them in a flavorful sauce that will stick to them then you can almost trick yourself into thinking it's real pasta.
  • Game8
    Options
    From what I understand fiber, counteracts carbs.

No one with a basic understanding of nutrition would make such statement.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat carbohydrates that do not spike your blood glucose levels you should try basmati rice. When cooked in unsalted water it has a medium rating on the GI scale and is not chewy in texture like brown rice. Also have you tried quinoa, bulgar wheat or couscous instead?. Wholewheat pasta is fine. Even my kids can't tell the difference with sauce on and has more of the good stuff in it. Boiled new potatoes (again in unsalted water) are better than baked potatoes as they do not release the sugar as fast. Not sure if this is what you are asking but hope it helps
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Dieting was the worst thing I could do for weight loss! What you do is temporary and once you go back to normal you gain it back. Just stick to MFP. Get a well rounded amount of each category and you will be able to live this lifestyle and not feel deprived! Why give up carbs when they help you fuel up? In my experience, I did a high protein, low carb, went into keytosis, and I lost weight for a few weeks then got tired and gained most back when I started eating carbs again. Its your call, but my 2 cents is don't miss out on carbs. Just pick healthier ones when you do eat them. Get them from broccoli, and other veggies, and you can have bread crumbs sometimes on your fish for flavor, or eat a nice turkey wrap! Just be smart about your selection and you can have them in your life :) Don't deprive yourself of the best tasting category! Lol. (Can you tell I'm a carboholic?) Lol Do you like sweet potatoes? My personal trainer and former room mate told me they are better for you than regular potatoes!

Also, there was a neat episode on Dr.Oz the other day, don't know if you watch, but he did a boost your metabolism segment based on your body shape. Some had higher cortisol levels, some estrogen, some lacking thyroid hormone. He suggested foods to make a staple for your body type to keep your metabolism fueling its best :) Not sure how true it is, but I started following it and dropped 4 pounds my first week :)
  • ibach08
    ibach08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    How about sweet potatoes?
    I eat fairly low carb and they are great as a side dish and way better than regular potatoes, pasta or rice!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes or yams
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    How about sweet potatoes?
    I eat fairly low carb and they are great as a side dish and way better than regular potatoes, pasta or rice!

This FTW in my opinion......with brown rice coming in a close second.
  • Biggipooh
    Options
    I don't know, if that is true, but I heard, that boiled potatoe has a lower GI, when it is cooled down and then heated back up. Boiled potatoes don't have many cals. Farmers used to feed their pigs with potatoes, they never got fat, lol.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific medical issue or intolerance, none of them are evil. It's ridiculous to demonise any particular food with respect to weight gain. I eat all three regularly (rice less often, because I don't enjoy it as much) and I've lost weight just fine. Plenty of bread too, in case you forgot that one!
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    The baked potato is by far the most nutricious, especially if you eat the skin
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options

^^^truth

and the answer is potatos... veggie carbs have more micronutrients in comparrison.

^^^^ This! And the magic word is "Micronutrients"! Give the man a prize! = D