First time at a gym

Options
I want to start going to the gym at school. I have never been to a gym in my life. I have knee problems and was wondering where would be a good place to start. Are there any machines that you would suggest using?

Replies

• sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would suggest booking a session with a trainer who can tell you exactly how things work and what exercises would be best for you. This would be the best thing if you really don't know what you're doing and should help you avoid injury by doing things the wrong way.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is pretty low impact. And depending on your knees maybe a stationary bike would be ok. I would also suggest checking out the weights. If you have never lifted before then start with the machines and just read through the instructions which are usually printed with pictures right on the weight machine. Or see if the gym staff could give you some pointers. I personally started off with the elliptical and various upper body weights and slowly added more as I learned more and gained more strength. Good luck!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Squat rack. :)

Seriously though, look into a program like New Rules of Lifting. A lot of people who have history of knee pain notice improvement after weightlifting in both mobility and strength. I used to suffer from really bad tendinitis and its basically non-existent anymore and I've increased my range of motion as well.

Ask questions too, people at the gym are more friendly than you'd think and also, guys like helping out the girls that are lifting. I usually incorporate a short cardio session at the beginning of my workouts, 5-10 minutes on a rower or an elliptical, gets my heart rate up and my muscles warm, then I stretch for a few minutes and then hit the weights :)

Hope that helps!
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I just rejoined the gym yesterday. I have been away from the gym for over 2 years and i have terrible knees. I would agree with what another post stated, see a trainer at the gym and have them set up a workout program for you with your knees in mind. But for me, I try to use low impact cardio like an elliptical or recumbent stationary bike. I will still do some work on the treadmill. I am also easing into the leg machines to try and build the muscles around my knees. Plus my gym has a pool so that's always good for you if yours has one. Mine even has classes in the pool, which helps take stress off the joints. Lots of options at the gym, talk to a trainer.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Squat rack. :)

Seriously though, look into a program like New Rules of Lifting. A lot of people who have history of knee pain notice improvement after weightlifting in both mobility and strength. I used to suffer from really bad tendinitis and its basically non-existent anymore and I've increased my range of motion as well.

Ask questions too, people at the gym are more friendly than you'd think and also, guys like helping out the girls that are lifting. I usually incorporate a short cardio session at the beginning of my workouts, 5-10 minutes on a rower or an elliptical, gets my heart rate up and my muscles warm, then I stretch for a few minutes and then hit the weights :)

Hope that helps!

The OP probably shouldn't start off with back squats.

As a previous post suggested, I would recommend strengthening the muscles around the knees before starting back squats. Lifts like squats, deadlifts, and any oly move are pretty rough for the knees. If the OP truly does have knee problems, then machines like the leg extension may be a better option for the start.

Some other posts have recommended meeting with a PT. I think that's a GREAT idea. I'm a personal trainer myself, and I hate to see people doing incorrect or ineffective workouts (especially when they're obviously new).

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you have knee problems, try the elliptical. It's very low impact but if you go hard enough, you can get your heart rate up and get a great workout!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com forums. Search for various workouts,

find a good routine that works for you. If you find an exercise that you have

no idea how to do, just youtube it, i bet someone has put a vid up sometime.

Good luck.

andlol@trainers, no.

EDIT: To clarify, there is much to be said for body building, that one

person cannot explain everything to you on these forums alone.

You can find all the info you need at that site to get started, essentially you want

to work all your muscle groups at least once a week, maybe 2x depending on volume.

Good luck!
  • Chejan
    Chejan Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My gym at school has a trainer who was there to help me, but I started out doing the bike and elliptical.
  • CivicSi71
    CivicSi71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Start slow, but get started. Grab some reading material and learn about the basics: range of motion, controlling the weight and proper form. Start with body weight movements and multiple joint movements: push ups or a variation, squats (air squats), jumping jacks, planks, light overhead presses, etc. I am a big proponent of circuit weights where you use light-ish weights with little rest in between sets. This is resistance training and cardio rolled into one. The synergy can really burn some calories.

The gym can be an intimidating place, at first, but most people respect effort and work. They will be willing to help with advice or a spot. Personally, I like to learn the exercises and routines on my own by reading. This base knowledge give me a place to start and a basis to weed out bad advice. In many cases, the 'experts' at the gym know little more thatn you and may give you bad advice. My point is you should approach the person that you see as knowing what they are doing and be weary of those who come up to you and offer info up. Good luck and enjoy it. Send me a friend request if you like.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    elliptical
    recumbent bike or cross trainer
    water aerobics or swimming if they have a pool
    maybe do some strength training and yoga, try to get stronger around your injury/weak areas
  • wee_wolfie
    wee_wolfie Posts: 40 Member
    Options

andlol@trainers, no.

I think this is a little unfair. I only meet my trainer once every couple of weeks, but hiring him gave me the confidence to actually go into the free weights area, and now I spend 99% of my workout time in there. Also, I can push myself more when he is there, because he will spot me. My gym is not especially friendly.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

andlol@trainers, no.

I think this is a little unfair. I only meet my trainer once every couple of weeks, but hiring him gave me the confidence to actually go into the free weights area, and now I spend 99% of my workout time in there. Also, I can push myself more when he is there, because he will spot me. My gym is not especially friendly.

This is a fair point.

However I find most trainers (for people who are ACTUALLY trying to learn how to get into shape) are a scam.

I can see if people would rather someone else micro manage their routine, then so be it, by all means.

You can find all the info you need to get in shape on the net, trainers are pretty much a middle man.

EDIT: To clarify a bit more, they are also useful for maybe a form check, or as the previous poster said

to introduce you to lifting/exercise.