RE: Ideal Protein

Options
Hi all!! My sister is going to an informational meeting on Ideal Protein and I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and what they thought of it? Not sure it's such a good thing?

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I've not tried this, but in general I am not a fan of all the different diet approaches (South Beach, Paleo, etc.). Eat a good balanced diet that has fewer calories than you need and you lose weight works for most people. :)
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My mom did it and lost 100lbs, it worked for her for a while. She has been in maintance for a while but still needs to lose more but wants to find a new plan.
    for me this would never work it is VERY expensive I found, they are a big business, I did not find balance in it. I don't know how much it teaches about moderation. They promote themselves as a life long company, eat our products till you loose then they tell you use moderation and when you gain a little back come back and use our products again to lose the weight again then..... cycle.
    One thing they have going for them is the individual attention. Going in every week for a check in, if you have someone/something you know your accountable to you are going to work harder. That is one thing my mom loved about the company, she was with them for 2-3 years just the last month or 2 she decided she could do the same as she was doing with less expensive products.
    I've know at least 4 other who have used this program and they had good results but they "finished" and gained back.
    Its an easy fix, kind of, not necessarly do you enjoy the foods.... you feel restricted... I far more enjoy the way I eat.
    Thats my 2 Cents worth.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital where many of the doctors are on it. Everyone has had excellent weight loss to the point where some look a bit gaunt. If it were not so expensive I would definitely do it. You have to be very disciplined as it is very restrictive. For example in phase 1 you can't even chew a piece of sugarless gum!
  • whitehpe
    Options
    In one month on the Ideal Protein diet in phase 1, I lost 14.8 pounds and 19.5 inches. Five of the inches came off the waist. At the age of 60, it thrills me to finally begin to lose what I have gained since menopause. I believe that I can reach my goal of a 40 pound loss by 2013. As empty-nesters, the program is easy for both my husband and me. He is just watching calories to lose 10 pounds. We have our evening meal together. I find it convenient to take my Ideal Protein supplement and 2 cups of vegetables to the office. Not only is it convenient, it is more filling, healthier, and less expensive then going out for a salad.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My mom uses it. It is EXPENSIVE. I will grab a bar or two when I visit. They are ok. She did lose weight on it. But its serious calorie reduction. Nothing magical. But convenient for her as she just had arm surgery. She does add in alot of veggies too.
  • ginnyadams
    ginnyadams Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have found it easy to follow for the most part. I spend around 85/week for the food (the visit and consulting are part of the cost). It is pricey but it does work. I have lost around 19 pounds total and over 20 inches (4 from waist and over 5 from each thigh). With kids and a busy career it is simple enough to follow but hard the first couple of weeks to stay on.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My ideal protein is steak.... or bison burgers...

Diets are sustainable.. It's better to learn what to eat than given a plan otherwise once you stop, you gain more weight than you lost.