Scaring other runners

Options
So, I've been wondering this for awhile. When I'm out on the road or in a neighborhood jogging along, and I am going to pass another runner, it never fails that as I come up next to them, I startle them. I know the feeling, cause I've done it too when other runners have passed me. It must be something about being in exercise mentality that gets you especially jumpy. It's momentarily unpleasant, but not a huge deal.

I've tried to think up polite ways to pass people. Generally, everyone has their headphones on, so verbal signals are useless. If I see they don't have headphones on, I will usually cough or sniff so they know someone's coming up behind them. If they have headphones, I sometimes try to give them a lot of space as I pass, but it's not always possible.

Anyway, is there some road etiquette that I don't know about to keep from scaring the pants off fellow runners? Or anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yes. Running ettiquitte says you should forcefully pull out one of their headphones and give them a slight nudge in the direction of oncoming traffic as you pass on their right :)
  • dmh0204
    Options
    Yes. Running ettiquitte says you should forcefully pull out one of their headphones and give them a slight nudge in the direction of oncoming traffic as you pass on their right :)

Lol! I am so embarrassed. I've been doing it wrong.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, I will not be able to help you with this because I run at my park and in the way how it is set up it's hard to meet with another runner and scare him from behind. Especially at time of day I run, there's like no runners to meet, rarely happens. So sorry but can't help you with that...

Only thing I scare when I run are old ladies walking with their dogs. I have to admit... it's quite fun. ;)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    When I come up behind someone walking (never really pass runners around here), I start hitting the pavement a tad louder so they can hear me and when I get even closer I loudly say "Behind you". Or if there's an easy way to the street, I just hop off the sidewalk lol
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    When I come up behind someone walking (never really pass runners around here), I start hitting the pavement a tad louder so they can hear me and when I get even closer I loudly say "Behind you". Or if there's an easy way to the street, I just hop off the sidewalk lol
    More or less this, depending if we're on a sidewalk. Or I'll say "on the left/right", which is what the bikers do around here as well. That's helpful because then I know which way to move not to get run over!
  • fittrigirl2012
    Options
    I truly think that this is the best idea ever! next time - into traffic they go! :) awesome! :)
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Say "on the left" as I'm coming up to pass them. If they have both earbuds in then it's not your fault they got scared. As runners they should be aware of their surroundings and as you've already announced your intentions then that's on them.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I can only dream of ever being fast enough to actually overtake another runner!! Will of course remember the 'push them into the road' thing if it ever happens ;)
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I can only dream of ever being fast enough to actually overtake another runner!! Will of course remember the 'push them into the road' thing if it ever happens ;)

^^this^^ and hahahahaha :bigsmile:
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Wear a bell! Just kidding, but that's how the neighbors finally got us to notice their sneaky cat before tripping over him....

I usually just say "excuse me" politely when I'm a couple of steps behind.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    mheh that's their issue. people who get scared are usually zoning out of their surrounding when they run and forget that they are in the real world with real people . or they have headphones in with their music too loud to hear what's going on outside their heads

i always do " your left/right" especially since if i'm passing someone it's usually because i'm doing fartleks and when i sprint i am a whole lotta woman coming at ya so if i collide with someone odds are i will keep going and they will be knocked down :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you need to announce yourself, just say, "On the left!" loud enough for them to hear. They'll move over a bit and let you pass.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I'll usually just say "on your left" when passing another runner (it's rare that it happens :laugh: )
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Say "on the left" as I'm coming up to pass them. If they have both earbuds in then it's not your fault they got scared. As runners they should be aware of their surroundings and as you've already announced your intentions then that's on them.

I say that out of habit from riding bike trails and passing other mtb'rs. though it's practically useless when running because they usually have headphones on.

and do remember when you do push someone into traffic to at least do a victory yell, in their honor.
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    More or less this, depending if we're on a sidewalk. Or I'll say "on the left/right", which is what the bikers do around here as well. That's helpful because then I know which way to move not to get run over!

I wish bikers round here would do that - instead they sneak up on you and look annoyed that you haven't noticed them.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    As I approach...I yell out, "passing on your left", but it doesn't always work out, so I'm always ready to dodge to the right if I have to or leap or whatever the occasion calls for. Once there was passel of folks meandering down the path and I yelled but they didn't hear or ignored me, so I ran right through the middle of them (there was no way to go AROUND them) and it is a bike/hiking trail that goes both directions...I wonder what happened when a bike passed?
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options

I say that out of habit from riding bike trails and passing other mtb'rs. though it's practically useless when running because they usually have headphones on.

and do remember when you do push someone into traffic to at least do a victory yell, in their honor.

tumblr_m4iv8zgzEf1rn2urmo1_400.gif
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

^^this^^ and hahahahaha :bigsmile:

Me Too!
  • Jkc9059
    Jkc9059 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    usually the one being passed. Just learning how to "run" (however speed walkers usually pass me) hopefully next spring I can pass a few!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When a few yards behind the person I raise my voice and say "passing on your left."

Shirley
    Eugene, Oregon