Hey! I NEED more protein!

Options
Anyone have suggestions as to how I can incorporate more protein into my diet, I eat greek yogurt almost everyday and I also have almonds and chicken. what are some other suggestions? TIA!!! :)

Replies

• auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Tuna! It's cheap and slam full of the stuff.
  • JHoelck0928
    JHoelck0928 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Too bad I don't eat fish :(
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    eggs, nuts, tuna or other canned fish?
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Fish is high in protein per oz. Tilapia, salmon, tuna, etc.

cottage cheese is a good bang for your buck to get some more protein, but I find the stuff nearly unbearable to eat plain. I throw in a couple tablespoons of peanut butter or some jelly to make it taste good though. Double hit on protein if you mix pb with the cottage cheese.

My favorite is probably just a few deli slices of turkey and a slice of cheese rolled up as a snack. The turkey and cheese are both relatively good sources of protein.

Since I struggle with meeting my calories per day, and my protein macro - I also throw in a few glasses of milk to boost my calories and my proteins.
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    I usually eat greek yogurt in the morning and always have a serving of almonds and usually some sort of chicken for dinner. Other than that I'm finding it hard to figure out more. I am not a huge egg person and don't eat any fish.
  • ChrissME
    ChrissME Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually eat greek yogurt in the morning and always have a serving of almonds and usually some sort of chicken for dinner. Other than that I'm finding it hard to figure out more. I am not a huge egg person and don't eat any fish.

I just discovered edamame. It is a great source of plant protein and it's fun to squeeze the little beans out of the pod. I take some to work everyday.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    More chicken or red meat during the day since you don't eat tuna/fish or eggs. As suggested already maybe cottage cheese at night since you already have Greek yoghurt in the morning or maybe look into a protein supplement if there aren't many other viable options.
  • JHoelck0928
    Options
    Thanks for the imput everyone :)
  • sashalee5
    sashalee5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, black beans, edamame, almond butter! : )
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes - I often make mine with whey protein powder & greek yogurt in them.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Tuna really isn't all that cheap. $3/lb for the questionable stuff, $5.25/lb for white albacore tuna which is cleaner/tastes better.

Meanwhile boneless skinless chicken breasts are $2/lb. So..yeah...

Protein powder, more chicken, beans.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    Trying not to duplicate what has been said already.....

Sunflower seeds
    Cocoa powder
    Flax
    Pumpkin seeds
    Beans
    Jerkey
    Oatmeal

Duplicating what others have said....

It's really hard to beat Tilapia, good clean fish with great nutrition and low mercury levels ( good country farm raised) You might not be big on fish, but Tilapia could be your exception, it usually does not have a fishy taste if properly prepared.

Eggs : egg whites have a lot of protein if you are trying to abstain from yolk ingestion.

Peanut butter: Hard to beat for quick protein and healthy fat
  • bee_strong
    Options
    i go with peanuts or a protein bar
  • dsuyentor
    Options
    Protein Powder + PB2 is fabulous ;)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am no longer tracking but I was always over on my protein by far. The biggest thing is remembering to eat the protein. When you have a meal or snack, make sure to incorporate a lean protein every time. So if you have an apple, have some nuts or a piece of string cheese at the same time, for example. Come up with little carb/protein duos that you like and it will be easy.

When I wanted a sugary snack I would eat a chocolate protein bar instead or something with more balanced ratios like a Luna or Balance bar. I know they're not great but they prevent me from eating totally empty calories and satisfy my sweet tooth.

I like frozen fruit/spinach/protein powder smoothies for breakfast or after a workout. If you want more cals, add yogurt or kefir.

Throw tofu on my salads, buy rotisserie turkey breast at the deli for a change from chicken, eat peanut butter toast in the morning, cook up chicken breasts in a crockpot and throw them in with some mex. seasoning to put on salads with salsa and light sour cream, etc.

As with anything we need to be healthy, we might not be *that* into them. I have to make myself like vegetables. But when I'm eating them, I tell myself how good they are for me and imagine them fighting off cancer, etc. So, if you don't naturally like various proteins, like whole groups, not just a certain food, you might need to do some cognitive re-framing of those foods in your mind.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Tuna really isn't all that cheap. $3/lb for the questionable stuff, $5.25/lb for white albacore tuna which is cleaner/tastes better.

Meanwhile boneless skinless chicken breasts are $2/lb. So..yeah...

Protein powder, more chicken, beans.

OMG I want to shop wherever you do. I am a chicken breast WATCHER. I watch all the sale ads and have only seen them at $2 once all year.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned chia seeds? They have the added plus of providing soluble fiber as well as protein.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    What's wrong with whey protein shakes and egg whites. That's what everyone does.