French Toast

Options
Anyone know a good American French Toast recipe....dont mind if the calories are a little high as its a treat...I am from UK and i my favourite thing to eat when cruising on Princess Cruises was their doorstep french toast...want to replicate it if i can..Cheers

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    my mom always just took like an egg or 2 cracked in bowl and then soaked the egg onto a thick piece of toast and stuck in in a pan on the stove and fried it? best i have since i personally don't like it and don't make it :)
  • rsteffe2
    Options
    Starting with a good bread is important. I always add a touch of vanilla and cinnamon to the egg to add some flavor and it allows for me to use less topping when it is cooked as the cinnamon and vanilla add a good flavor.
  • CamillaBeaumont
    CamillaBeaumont Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to use thick sliced french bread to make french toast with. I beat a little vanilla and milk in with the eggs and then sprinkle cinnamon on top before cooking.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    A simple cinnamon toast I make:

Preheat your pan with a bit of coconut oil or butter flavored spray oil on med-low.
    Use 1/2teaspoon of cinnamon, mixed into one egg in a bowl and beat it.
    Soak your choice of toast into it then brown on the pan.
    Serve with a drizzle of honey

(Not exactly french toast, but a healthy simple alternative.)
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I use a thick cut whole grain bread, and let it stale over a few days in the fridge. (it soaks up the egg mixture better that way). Then I whisk eggs, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and a tiny bit of nutmeg. I soak the bread and put on a very hot griddle to sear the outsides. Then I place in oven on a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 10 min to finish cooking. (it puffs it up an and makes it fluffy). I serve with fruit, whipped cream and real maple syrup!
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    bump
  • worrblade
    worrblade Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat french toast at least 1 or 2 times a week not as a treat but as my healthy meal. I use whole grain bread (gluten free bread if i can find it) with an egg or egg beaters with cinnamon. and on top i just put a tbsp of pure maple syrup. some times i put a couple blue berries on top. healthy and taste pretty good.
  • 91keira
    Options
    Some good ideas here. I just use a cracked egg with a bit milk and soak the bread in for about half an hour before fryin it.