Sugar

Options
after tracking my food, I looked back and was amazed at how much sugar I eat. Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting back on sugar. I tend to graze thru out the day (wow that makes me sound like a cow!) and would like to know of somethings that I can eat that are sugar free

Replies

• phillips0911
    Options
    I'm not exactly what would fit your needs. I use splenda and recently started using truvia so I could still have "sugar". I buy all sugar free products when I can. The best way to eliminate high sugars are to eat veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grains, proteins. When I have too much fruit I go over. I moderate my fruit sometimes, but as long as my sugars are healthy I don't worry. Some don't agree with the splenda or truvia, but that's just what I like in my coffee and baking.
  • donnamariewilliams
    Options
    I track sugar too. I use Splenda blend in my coffee. It is better than straight Splenda and you don't use as much. Plus it isn't in packets so you can judge what you use. I do use nothing but Splenda in my ice tea. Fruit has become my candy. Yes there are sugars in fruit but nothing like what you have in cookies, cakes, pies and candy. Also watch out for honey. It is natural but has a lot of sugar in it. Google what is high in sugar and eat what you can live with. Good luck!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    What is your sugar goal? I found MFP a bit low and have adjusted it to 75 g
    This includes sugar from fruit etc
    I won't use artificial sugars, but I do sometimes use granular fructose for the GI
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar is carb. If your carbs are set correctly and you are hitting your targets, why measure sugar?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Sugar is carb. If your carbs are set correctly and you are hitting your targets, why measure sugar?

Yup, eat a slice of bread and it ends up as glucose (and some fibre, etc), eat some sugar and and it ends up as glucose ... the only difference being how quickly.

I guess one reason for tracking it would be to control cravings and blood sugar swings though.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Because it's linked to disease? Because it's shocking to find out savory foods have sugar in them you didn't know you were consuming? Because no more than 6 teaspoons a day of added sugar is recommended? Because you're IR or have diabetes? Because your counting carbs and including sugary foods would mean excluding more nutritious options?

Dunno the OP's reasoning but I have no problems imagining why people would want to track their sugar consumption.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Because it's linked to disease? Because it's shocking to find out savory foods have sugar in them you didn't know you were consuming? Because no more than 6 teaspoons a day of added sugar is recommended? Because you're IR or have diabetes? Because your counting carbs and including sugary foods would mean excluding more nutritious options?

Dunno the OP's reasoning but I have no problems imagining why people would want to track their sugar consumption.

But ... what is the advantage of tracking sugar, specifically? Is the consumption of sugar linked to the diseases you mention or is it high blood glucose, generally?

I mean, track what you like (oh thanks mate, I was waiting for your say so) but the question being is it worth the extra hassle in the context of a complete nutritional day?
  • mmapags
    Options

Ah, the demonizing sugar contingent has made thier entrance. So, do tell? For the majority of people who have a normal health profile are not IR or diabetic, how many grams of carbs is 6 teaspoons of added sugar and how could one consume this and stay within a reasonable carb goal for the day? And exactly which diseases is sugar definitively proven to cause? Please cite sources. And how does counting sugar grams cause you to eat more nutritious carbs if you already lack the nutritional judgement to do so? Feel free to elighten!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol, correlation =/= causation, by the same notion you should avoid low carb diets due to some of the things they are correlated with in some epidemiological studies
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    @DeadVim
    I imagine the benefit of tracking sugar is knowing how much sugar you're consuming.
  • mmapags
    Options
    @DeadVim
    I imagine the benefit of tracking sugar is knowing how much sugar you're consuming.

And that would matter why? Please do explain?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am type one diabetic and have been eating sugar free for 28 years but it is impossible because wheat bread even has sugar in it. Basically, just try to abide by your plan and you can ask other member for substitute items that do not carry as much sugar. I am at the point where I'm feeling it to be impossible.......
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    @DeadVim

troublemaker! :P Didn't Mr. Vim tell you "knuckleheads rule!"?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I like sugar. :flowerforyou:
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Ohh...honey, honey!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I don't measure sugar; but I try to steer clear of processed foods, baked goods (okay so I had a slice of my husband's banana nut bread tonight, but he tends to use very low sugar in everything); most of my "sugar" is natural from fruit and veg.
  • mmapags
    Options
    @DeadVim

troublemaker! :P Didn't Mr. Vim tell you "knuckleheads rule!"?

He did! LOL
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You are my candy girl...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    after tracking my food, I looked back and was amazed at how much sugar I eat. Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting back on sugar. I tend to graze thru out the day (wow that makes me sound like a cow!) and would like to know of somethings that I can eat that are sugar free

I wouldn't even track sugar, frankly. or sodium, for that matter. for the vast majority of the population, neither really matters. track your carbs. that's where sugar fits, anyway.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    And you've got me wanting youuuu.....
    give me some Smarties. :D