Healthy, Low-Cal, Make-Ahead Meals

Options
I'm a college student that loves to cook, but can't fit cooking three meals a day into my schedule. So, for the longest time, I've been making make-ahead meals - like, you know, casseroles that I throw in the freezer and then eat for like...a week, haha. Thing is, now that I'm dieting, I need to invent/find some good make-ahead meals that aren't all cheese and grease, and I figure I can just edit this post every time I find a good one, listing them for all to see!

But I also want YOUR make-ahead recipes! Have you ever seen Week in a Day with Rachel Ray? That's the kind of thing I'm looking for: cooking 5 meals in one day that can be served all week. Casseroles are a good example, and so are quiches and other food-stuffs that can survive a stay in the freezer!

I can't wait to see what you guys post!! I'm making chili tomorrow...turkey chili. >_> I'll post the recipe tomorrow!

Replies

• CoopsQueen
    CoopsQueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do this quite often and I would love to get more ideas and share my own :happy: I have several recipes I would like to share and they are pretty healthy but I will post another day, however, if you google Ginas Skinny Recipes you'll find her recipes are healthy and super delicious and most are pretty easy to make and follow. she also posts nutrition info, which I find to be very helpful. Ah, I'm pretty excited about this, glad you posted this idea! See later :smile:
  • DestinationFitnessChick
    Options
    LOW FAT Slow cooker upside-down chicken pot pie
    Submitted by: ORANGECOWCAT

**Edited on 12/5/10** Lower sodium chicken gravy used

Adapted from Betty Crocker recipe to include healthier ingredients... **Edited on 12/5/10** Lower sodium chicken gravy used

Adapted from Betty Crocker recipe to include healthier ingredients...
    Minutes to Cook: 600
    Number of Servings: 8

Ingredients
    **1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
    *1 large onion, chopped
    *2 dried bay leaves
    *1/2 teaspoon pepper
    *1 jar (18 oz) chicken gravy
    *2 cups celery, chopped
    *2 1/4 cups Heart Smart Bisquick® mix
    *2/3 cup 1% milk
    *1 bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen mixed vegetables

Directions
    1. Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with onion, bay leaf, pepper and gravy. Place celery on gravy.

2. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.

3. About 30 minutes before serving, make and bake 8 biscuits using Bisquick mix and milk as directed on package.

4. Meanwhile, gently stir frozen vegetables into chicken mixture. Increase heat setting to High. Cover and cook 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.

5. For each serving, split biscuit and place in soup bowl or tart pan. Spoon about 3/4 cup chicken mixture on top of biscuit.

Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.

Slow Cooker Buffalo-Syle Chicken Wings
    Submitted by: DIALYSISRN

A farily healthy style of chicken wings, these are baked, not fried. You may substitue mild chicken wing sauce for hot if you perfer a hotter tasting wing. You may also increase the Tabasico sauce. If you perfer your wings on the mild side, stick with the recipe the way it is. A farily healthy style of chicken wings, these are baked, not fried. You may substitue mild chicken wing sauce for hot if you perfer a hotter tasting wing. You may also increase the Tabasico sauce. If you perfer your wings on the mild side, stick with the recipe the way it is.
    Minutes to Prepare: 20
    Minutes to Cook: 90
    Number of Servings: 16

Ingredients
    3 pounds of chicken wings (frozen)
    2 jars of Nance's Mild Chicken Wing Sauce (12 oz jars)
    2 TBSPs I can't believe its not butter, regular
    1 to 2 teaspoons bottled hot pepper sauce
    2/3 cup blue cheese or ranch dressing

Directions
    If chicken wings are frozen, place in a 375 degree oven (foil lined baking pan) for 30 minutes, or until brown.
    For sauce, in a slow cooker combine chicken wing sauce, melted butter, and hot pepper sauce. Add chicken wings, stirring to coat with sauce.
    Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4-5 hours, or high heat setting for 2-2 1/2 hours.
    Serve immediatetly or keep warm on low heat setting for up to 2 hourse. Serve chicken wings with salad dressing

Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 6
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 274.6
    • Total Fat: 6.6 g
    • Cholesterol: 48.2 mg
    • Sodium: 365.1 mg
    • Total Carbs: 36.3 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
    • Protein: 18.0 g

Butternut Squash Lasagna
    Submitted by: SAMMIEJO920

Minutes to Cook: 60
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients
    8 no boil lasagna noodles
    4 cups butternut squash puree
    1 egg
    3/4 cup lowfat cottage cheese
    1/4 cup lowfat plain yogurt
    3/4 parmesan cheese, divided
    2 tsp dried sage
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Cooking spray

Directions
    Preheat oven to 400. Mix together1/2 cup parmesan cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, egg, salt and pepper. Stir dried sage into butternut squash puree. Spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray, Layer in this order: 2 lasagna noodles, 1/2 squash puree, 2 noodles, 1/2 cheese mixture, 2 noodles, 1/2 squash puree, 2 noodles, 1/2 cheese mixture. Top with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Cover with foil, bake 40 minutes. Remove foil, bake 20 more minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Pumpkin's Pie-wiches
    Submitted by: PRINCESSPUMPKIN

Creamy, frozen pumpkin pie sandwiches! Creamy, frozen pumpkin pie sandwiches!
    Number of Servings: 12

Ingredients
    1 can (about 15oz) canned pureed pumpkin
    12oz tub lite whipped topping or fat-free whipped topping
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    Dash of ground cloves
    Splenda, to taste
    12 full sheets of graham crackers

Directions
    Carefully fold whipped topping into pumpkin puree, being sure to maintain its fluffiness. Fold in spices and sweeten with Splenda to reach desired sweetness.
    Break graham cracker sheets into half to make 24 squares.
    On half the squares, place about 1/2 cup of the pumpkin mixture.
    Top with remaining cracker squares to make sadwiches.
    Place on cookie sheet lined with waxed paper and freeze.
    Serving size is one sandwich.

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Bites
    Submitted by: FLUTTEROFSTARS

A great 30-calorie sweet treat! A great 30-calorie sweet treat!
    Minutes to Prepare: 2
    Number of Servings: 11

Ingredients
    Vanilla extract, imitation, alcohol, 0.5 tsp
    Splenda, 1tbsp
    Cream Cheese, Publix Fat Free, 5 tbsp
    Hershey's Cocoa, Special Dark, .5-1 tbsp
    Great Value Light Whipped Topping, 16 tbsp (1 cup)
    Chocolate Chips, Publix Mini Semisweet, 1 tbsp

Directions
    Mix coolwhip, cream cheese, vanilla, and splenda (using mixer, blender, or bowl and fork).

For chocolate cheesecake bites, add cocoa and stir in thorougly (to create swirl cheesecakes, divide batter in half and add the cocoa to half the batter - mix thoroughly, then recombine batter, swirling chocolate batter into plain batter).

Spoon into 10-15 slots of an ice cube tray.

Top each bite with 5-10 mini chocolate chips, one teaspoon sugar free chocolate syrup, or smucker's sugar free fruit preserves (rasberry, strawberry, blueberry, etc - 3 calories per teaspoon).

Freeze for 2 hrs. After fully freezing, they should pop right out, or you might need to run water over the bottom of the tray to help them come out.

Spicy Sweet Potatoes
    Number of Servings: 11
    Ingredients
    3 large sweet potatoes (5" long), peeled if not organic
    1 large white onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3/4 cup (6 ounces) skim milk
    1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (or to taste)

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Slice the sweet potatoes and onions as thinly as possible. Chop the garlic. (Tip: I put them all through the food processor using the slicing blade.)
    Spray a 9"x13" casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer on half of the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle on a third of the spices. Layer on the onions and garlic, followed by a third of the spices. Finally, layer on the rest of the sweet potatoes and the remaining spices. Pour on the milk, sprinkle on the hot sauce and top the casserole with the cheese.
    Bake, covered, for 20 minutes, then remove the lid for another10 minutes. The vegetables should be tender, and the cheese should be starting to brown.
    Make six 1-cup servings.
    Minutes to Prepare: 3
    Minutes to Cook: 10
    Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
    4 light string cheese sticks
    1 T flour
    1 c panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
    1/2 c egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
    1 1/2 T Chef Meg's Italian Herb Seasoning Blend

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the flour onto a small plate.

Cut the cheese sticks in half. Roll each cheese stick in the flour.

Place breadcrumbs and Italian herb blend in a small container with a lid or zipper-top bag; set aside. Pour egg substitute into a shallow dish. Using one hand, roll the floured cheese sticks in the egg mixture. One at a time, using your other (dry) hand, transfer the cheese sticks to the bread crumb mixture and shake to coat. Using the dry hand, remove from the crumb mixture and place on the baking pan. Continue until all cheese sticks are breaded. Spritz each cheese stick with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted.

If desired, dunk these cheese sticks in low-sodium tomato sauce (calories not included).

Makes 4 two-stick servings.
    Options
    BBQ Mango Chicken
    Submitted by: DANWERNECKE

I got the idea for this recipe from the Hungry Girl 200 reciepes for under 200 cal cookbook, just substituting chicken for tilapia. It was soooo good and takes care of the BBQ and sweet cravings in one shot. My kids even loved it. Hey, it got a picky three year old to eat... I got the idea for this recipe from the Hungry Girl 200 reciepes for under 200 cal cookbook, just substituting chicken for tilapia. It was soooo good and takes care of the BBQ and sweet cravings in one shot. My kids even loved it. Hey, it got a picky three year old to eat...
    Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Minutes to Cook: 20

Ingredients
    - 2 lbs of Chicken Breasts (I use Tyson 99% Fat Free boneless skinless to reduce calories and fat while increasing protien)
    - 6 to 8 tbsp of BBQ sauce (I like KC Masterpiece, low cal and good flavor)
    - 4 oz of Mango Puree (To ease use and control amount of cal I used the Beechnut baby food, one jar is all you need)
    - 2/3 tbsp Garlic Powder
    - Optional Dash of Bread Crumbs (for on top)

Directions
    Preheat the oven for 375 degrees.

First mix the BBQ sauce, garlic powder, and puree mango (I use the magic bullet mixer)
    Pour a third of the sauce into a baking dish.

Cut the chicken into 4 oz pieces (8 servings) and place into baking dish. Cover with sauce (I always seem to have an ounce or so left over). Sprinkle bread crumbs if desired and place inteh oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until throughly cooked.

Enjoy with corn or baked beans to round out the meal!

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user DANWERNECKE.

Warm meat, gooey cheese, and grilled vegetables--what's not to love about a Philly cheese steak? How about the more than 1,600 calories in each one! This take on the classic skimps on fat but not flavor.
    Warm meat, gooey cheese, and grilled vegetables--what's not to love about a Philly cheese steak? How about the more than 1,600 calories in each one! This take on the classic skimps on fat but not flavor.

Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 15

Tips

Ingredients
    4 whole wheat hoagie rolls
    1 pound chicken breasts
    1 yellow onion, sliced
    2 bell peppers, sliced
    2 banana peppers, sliced
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 slices provolone cheese, cut in half

Directions
    Preheat grill on high. Place the chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten slightly with a rolling pin or meat mallet. Remove the meat from plastic. Grill meat until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Chop meat into 1/2 inch cubes.

While the meat is cooking, heat a large saute pan. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. When the pan is hot, add the onions. Saute on medium-high for 5 minutes, until onions become tender. Add the peppers and cook for 10 more minutes. Add the vinegar to saute pan, stir to scrape up any residue on the bottom of the pan, and remove from heat.

Divide the meat and peppers between the two buns. Top each with 2 half slices of cheese. Wrap sandwiches in foil and return to the grill for 2 minutes to melt the cheese.

Slice each sandwich in half and serve hot.

Chef Meg's Mini Taco Cups
    Submitted by: CHEF_MEG

These bite-size tacos are always a hit in our house! Have some fun with this recipe; try adding chopped chives, avocado, different varieties of beans, or red onions.
    These bite-size tacos are always a hit in our house! Have some fun with this recipe; try adding chopped chives, avocado, different varieties of beans, or red onions.

Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 12

Ingredients
    Special equipment needed:
    Mini muffin tins

8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
    3/4 cup fat-free refried beans
    1 1/2 teaspoons Chef Meg's Taco Seasoning
    2 tablespoons black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons sharp cheddar, shredded
    2 tablespoons salsa

Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Place a sheet of phyllo dough on a cutting board, and spritz with nonstick spray. Repeat with 7 more sheets of dough, but do not spray the top of the last sheet. Cut the dough into 12 equal squares. Place one square in each cup of a mini muffin tin. After all the pastry is in the cups, spray the top of the sheets with nonstick spray.

Combine the refried beans and taco seasoning. Fill each cup 3/4 of the way full with the seasoned beans. Top with a half teaspoon each of the black beans and cheese. Bake 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and top with 1/2 teaspoon salsa.

Makes 12 mini cups. Serve warm.

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CHEF_MEG.

General Tsao's Chicken

Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Minutes to Cook: 15

Ingredients
    1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
    2 tsp. peanut or canola oil
    2 cloves garlic
    3/4 c. chicken broth
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    1 Tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar
    1 1/2 Tbsp. corn starch
    1/2 tsp. ginger
    1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
    4 servings cooked brown rice for serving (not included in nutrition info)

Directions
    Combine garlic, chicken broth, corn starch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes in a bowl and set aside.

Heat oil in a skillet, and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned. Pour in the broth mixture and bring to a boil to thicken. Simmer until chicken is cooked all the way through. Serve over brown rice.

Makes 4 servings, 4 points each (plus the rice)

Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SLIMKATIE

Crock Pot - Cube Steak and Gravy
    Submitted by: CHARMED1383

Mushroom soup makes delicious gravy and meat is tender and well done. Mushroom soup makes delicious gravy and meat is tender and well done.

Ingredients
    1lb approx - 4 cube steaks
    1 can mushroom soup
    11/2 cans water
    2 Tbsp Beef soup base
    salt, pepper, garlic to taste

Directions
    Brown cube steaks in a frying pan and season to taste.

Add mushroom soup to crock pot and add water (I use water due to the fact it cooks in crock and I dont' want to burn the gravy - and water saves calories). Add beef soup base, and browned cube steaks.

Cook on high for 1 hour and then to low heat for next 4 hours; or until meat comes out tender and falling apart. The soup is the gravy - just thickened and serve over baked potato or noodles.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
    Submitted by: AMANDACARMICKLE

This is for a double batch, you may half it if you wish. This is for a double batch, you may half it if you wish.
    Number of Servings: 24

Ingredients
    2 onions, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    2 T. chili powder
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes
    2 ½ c. water
    2 10.5 oz. cans condensed chicken broth
    2 c. corn
    2 c. hominy
    2 4oz. cans green chiles
    2 15oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    ½ c. fresh cilantro, chopped
    4 boneless chicken breats, cooked & chopped.
    TOPPINGS
    Crushed tortilla chips
    Sliced avocado
    Montery jack cheese
    Chopped green onion
    limes

Directions
    In pot-heat oil, saute’ onions and garlic until soft. Stir in-chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water…bring to boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add- corn, hominy, chillies, beans, cilantro and chicken…bring to boil, then simmer again for 10 minutes. The calories are figured on a 1 c. serving.

Number of Servings: 24
    Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
    Submitted by: BUGGIRL19

This tortilla soup tastes better than anything you can get at a restaurant. And it's healthy too! Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away. This tortilla soup tastes better than anything you can get at a restaurant. And it's healthy too! Don't let the long list of ingredients fool you. All you do is dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away.
    Minutes to Prepare: 30
    Minutes to Cook: 240

Ingredients
    1 pound frozen chicken (shred near end of cooking time)
    1 (15 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
    1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3(14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
    1 can black beans, rinsed

Directions
    Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in corn and black beans. Cover and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, or avocadoes. (Note: garnishes not included in nutrition information) Makes 8 servings.

Oven-Baked Coconut Shrimp
    Submitted by: GETSANGEL

There is almost no fat in this recipe. Recipe can be doubled to 48-52 shrimp which is enough to feed a crowd! Cooking time is estimated depending on the size of the shrimp. Serve with pineapple or a fruit salsa. There is almost no fat in this recipe. Recipe can be doubled to 48-52 shrimp which is enough to feed a crowd! Cooking time is estimated depending on the size of the shrimp. Serve with pineapple or a fruit salsa.
    Minutes to Cook: 20

Ingredients
    24 large uncooked shrimp (peeled, deveined and leave tails intact)
    1/3 cup cornstarch
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (can use more)
    3 large egg whites
    1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Directions
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Rinse shrimp under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
    In a shallow dish combine cornstarch with salt and red pepper; stir to combine.
    Place egg whites in a medium bowl; beat using an electric mixer on high speed until frothy (about 2 minutes).
    Place the coconut in a shallow dish.
    Working one shrimp at a time dredge the shrimp first in the cornstarch mixture, then dip in egg whites and then in shredded coconut.
    Place the shrimp on a foil lined baking sheet that has been generously coated with cooking spray.
    Repeat with remaining shrimp (cornstarch, then egg white, and then in coconut).
    Lightly spray the shrimp with cooking spray.
    Bake 10 minutes. Turn shrimp and bake another 10 minutes or until shrimp are done.

• cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Diet Casserole

1/2 lb. ground beef (93% lean)
    1 tbsp. olive oil
    1 med. onion, chopped
    1 cubanelle (or other green) pepper, chopped
    28 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    3/4 lb. zucchini, sliced
    ½ cup Parmesan cheese

In pan, saute ground beef in oil until lightly browned. Drain excess fat.
    Add onion, green pepper, tomatoes, garlic and oregano. Cook until
    thick. Arrange zucchini slices on bottom and sides of shallow 1 quart
    baking dish. Cover with meat sauce, sprinkle with cheese. Bake in
    preheated 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.

Serves 4
    cals- 198, carbs- 12, fat- 10, protein- 15
    Options
    Just about anything can be frozen. Just make sure you put it in the correct bowls. Also I use my crockpot to make a lot of meals I am going to be freezing. Wal-Mart has these great 1 cup serving bowls that I buy to put the food in so I can freeze it in individual servings. I make lots of soup and freeze it especially for winter :) Hope this helps feel free to message me wit questions :)
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Those recipes are great, thank you for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kellyc3
    kellyc3 Posts: 95
    Options
    Bump
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Bump for my daughter:flowerforyou:
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • schultzbroncos
    schultzbroncos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Bump, thanks everyone!
  • chrst793
    chrst793 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread, I'm in the same boat as you but I DO cook every day at the moment, which is just sucking up way too much of my time.

Anyone have recipes that DON'T require a crockpot or slow cooker?

Something that I make and freeze a lot of are meatballs... made with ground turkey or very lean ground beef, they're not too bad for calories and reheat pretty well in the microwave along with some veggies!

I start with this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-italian-melt-in-your-mouth-meatballs-69173
    ... and change up the sauces... a sweet and sour sauce (equal parts grape jelly and chili sauce), indian curry sauces, asian sauces (hoisin + soy sauce + rice vinegar + ginger), thai peanut sauce, etc!
  • Carbcounteronly
    Options
    *Mouth drool* These recipes look AMAZE!

Agree with above, also looking for recipes that don't require a crock pot :-)
  • radeema
    radeema Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    GOOD IDEAS here to Share with College Kids
  • schultzbroncos
    schultzbroncos Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump