discouraged

Options
I started this March 1 2010. The first week I lose 3lbs. This week nothing and I feel I am really trying. I am very discouraged today.
I didn't want to even introduce myself thinking I could do this all by myself (haha). I am in my late 40's and weigh 215 now did weigh 218. I really wanted to do this when I started but thats how I always do. If I don't see the results I want I just quit.

Replies

• StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    was today your weigh in?
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    oh wait Monday was your weigh in... don't get discouraged!! you will lost next week!!
  • hossmartin
    Options
    Yes. I still weigh 215.
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    Your body is going through a lot of adjustments. The second week is notoriously bad for weight loss. Don't let it get you down. Just keep on doing what you know is right and the scale will catch up with you. Remember it's what happens in the long run, a healthier you, that is what is really important, not the week to week number on the scale. Don't give up. We've all been there. Push though it and I promise you will see results.:flowerforyou:
  • hossmartin
    Options
    Thanks. I didn't weigh Monday. I waited until today.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    weight loss is a rollercoaster ride. I know it is hard, but try not to focus so much on the scale. Sometimes i got 10 or 15 days and dont lose anything, then i will hit a week where i lose 3 or 4 pounds.. Just keep in mind, if you eat healthy, exercise, and make good choices, it WILL come off..

It might take your body a little time to get used to the changes though as it is probably not used to what you are trying to do. Your body might try and fight the change even though your brain says it likes it. When your body starts getting in tune with what you are trying to do the weight will really start falling off... just keep up with it no matter what.. it will work!
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Welcome to MFP and well wishes to you on your journey. You're making life style changes, these changes do take time, and patience and dilligence, and dedication, and motivation and so on. Keep on track and you will see success, each week you will probably see something different from the scale... that's okay! :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Work real hard this week and see what happens on Monday! :) Last week was REALLY bad for me. I was moving so I didn't go to the gym hardly at all and I went over my calories everyday, but this week I'm determined to stay within my calories for the day and burn at least 400 calories per day and I'm hoping by Monday, I'll have lost 2 lbs!!! We'll see. Just keep your head up and keep truckin'! Even if you don't lose weight, if you're eating better, you'll be healthier and you'll be more energized and live longer than if you were eating fatty, greasey, sugary foods, right?? :) Don't be discouraged. We all hit those times when we don't lose. Hang in there & good luck!
  • volumptuousgirl
    Options
    I started this on Monday. Every day I wake up I don't want to do this. I hate it. It's so hard for me. It's a control issue. But everyday so far I've been so happy to report that I've hung on. Food is like an addiction for me and it consumes my every thought. Pathetic I know but it's the truth and I've got to face the truth in order to do this. Don't give up. Your having a down day/week but you will have ups too. Don't forget that!
  • hossmartin
    Options
    I so needed to hear from someone. Thank you so much. I will keep on trying. :flowerforyou:
  • Crawline
    Crawline Posts: 1,028
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I didn't lost this week either! Everyone has bad weeks, and it seems like a lot of people had a bad week the past week!! Drink lots of water and keep up the healthy eating and exercising!

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!!!

:smile:
  • pennyk78
    pennyk78 Posts: 19
    Options
    Great to hear you're going to keep on trying :happy:

Weight losses of more than a couple of pounds never happen quickly. I think about the long run now and it makes life a lot easier. I put on weight so quickly that staying the same weight one week makes me think at least that isn't 2, 3 or 4 on! So thinking that way is still a great success on the road to being heathier and happier! :flowerforyou:
  • crabbygirl
    Options
    What would you weigh now if you hadn't started this? I've tried before on my own without any guidance. I find that MFP has given me the guidance and support I need. The messages on the message boards are from complete strangers, but yet hearing what they are feeling and thinking has helped me a lot. And when I have a question or want to check what the answer to someone else's question is, the message board is the place to be! I have learned a lot from fellow MFPers!! Don't put so much pressure on yourself (which I do too) because progress has not been what you would like that you want to just quit. Being discouraged is common because, at least to me, losing weight is HARD!! But I just keep reminding myself that the reward will be worth it.
  • nissa36
    nissa36 Posts: 3
    Options
    Don't quit!!! Little change in the beginning is good. I lost 5lbs in the first week and thought the same. But, it is a start. Just keep up the good work and you will see change from week to week. Don't give in to failure, be positive. I was the same way several times, but with the support of my cousins I am staying on it. Find someone to help you or do it with you. We are all here for you if need to talk. Don't be discouraged, it'll have happen, only if you stick with it....
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    For a lot of us who have had real long-term success here it's been a real lifestyle change. Patience is the most important thing here, and patience gets a lot easier once you accept one important thing and make your peace with it. And that is - - -:

This is not a "diet". This is not something that you will do for a while until the scale says a certain number, and then you can go back to your old ways. Well,,, Ok, you COULD do that, and then you'll probably yo-yo right back up to your start weight.

If you wish to be trim and healthy and take good care of yourself - this is how you will live the rest of your life. The first several months are the hardest, you'll be on really strict calorie control until you reach a weight/size/fitness level that you're satisfied with, and from there you'll go into "maintenance" where you don't have to be so strict and it's easier. But the days of just shoving whatever you want in your mouth are over. You'll always be conscious of your eating and your exercise and your activity level. This is just what some of us have to do if we wish to be healthy and look good and feel good. No - life isn't fair, but c'est la vie.

Once you accept that it's not going to end, it gets easier to be patient. The good news is that it gets easier. Once the habits get formed it all becomes 2nd nature and it's simple.

I promise you it's worth it. "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" is absolutely true. You're about to experience something amazing and it's fun and interesting and SO worthwhile.

Anywho, here's my standard welcome aboard post:

welcome aboard! You can do this,,, just choose to do it, and do it.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about a year now and we've done well. Lost about 130 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape. You can do it too.

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"
    Yoda.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I try to have a few different ways to measure my success... we all use the scale, of course. But here are some other ways that I measure success:
    How much more water am I drinking now then I did a few weeks ago?
    How do I FEEL? I find that now that I'm giving my body fuel - I feel SO MUCH better.
    How do my clothes fit?
    How is my attitude? I keep a journal as well as a blog.
    How much more am I able to DO than I could before.

It's sometimes tough for me - because even with 20 lbs down - I can't really SEE the difference... but I can feel the difference. I I have more energy. I feel more at peace. I'm handling stress much better. My clothes are fitting differently... or should I say... they're fitting. My bathrooms have never been so clean - everytime I go to the bathroom I wipe it down (I've been drinking A LOT of water).

More than that - I feel like I'm more in control of life. I'm not an organized person so it doesn't take long for my house to get out of hand (especially with a 12 year old boy, a husband who works from home and 5 dogs).... I notice that my house is staying neater nowadays - it's not such a big deal to pick things up and put them away... I feel better so I don't mind getting up and doing things.

Find different measurements. The scale will absolutely catch up to how you're feeling.
  • prrizza425
    prrizza425 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keep it up. Weight loss is not linear. I was 212 lbs. 35 days ago but I lost the most weight in the first two weeks (12 lbs.). Then the next 3 weeks my scale stayed at 201! For THREE weeks of staying under my calories! This morning I weighed 197 for a total of 15 pounds in five weeks. But I DID NOT lose 3 pounds each week. It doesn't work that way, the weekly weight loss is an average over the course of staying on track with your calories.

So don't get discouraged! It will work. If you eat less calories than you burn you WILL lose weight. It's physics.
  • ronniehunter
    Options
    Hey there don't be discouraged, losing weight is really hard........I just started today, I am hoping this will work...just hang in there...results take time...this isnt THE BIGGEST LOSER where all you do is excercise 8hrs a day and have your very own personal trainers ok??:bigsmile:
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    ARE YOU DOING CARDIO? IF YOU ARE DOING CARDIO YOU HAVE TO EXPECT SOME SLOW RESULTS AT 1ST, MAYBE EVEN A GAIN DUE TO FLUID RETENTION AND MUSCLE SWELLING BUT IF YOU KEEP AT IT IT WILL COME OFF. ALSO IF YOU ARE PMS-ING OR MENSTRUATING YOU WILL SHOW A GAIN OR ZERO LOSS. ALSO IF YOUR CALORIC INTAKE IS TO LOW YOUR BODY WILL GO INTO STARVATION AND YOU WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT. KEEP TRYING AND ADJUSTING AND IT WILL COME OFF I PROMISE!!!
    WHEN I 1ST STARTED TRYING TO DROP MY BABY WEIGHT I WAS GETTING NO-WHERE! BUT I MADE ADJUSTMENTS UNTIL MY BODY REPONDED AND NOW I HAVE LOST 8.5LBS! SO KEEP TRYING. KEEP LOGGING IN. KEEP DRINKING WATER! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • jmaille
    jmaille Posts: 7
    Options
    Amen sister! I hate to diet! I've been doing well, but am REALLY tired this week. I definitely am excited when I see results, but I have found it is very time consuming to committ to a lifestyle change! I try to remind myself when I don't see week to week results that it took me 33 years to get like this...it will take more than a couple of weeks to see change. Gaining is so much easier than losing! ugh