why do people think it is magic

Options
I really get quite amazed how many people ask me how I have lost weight as if it is some magical art. To date I have lost 14+ kg in a little over 13 weeks. I tell them to use myfitnesspal to monitor and educate their use of food and exercise at least 30 minutes per day. I can now attend social events and drink water or maybe a diet coke with a realisation that alcohol, juices and full sugar sodas all they give is calories. If I feel like an icecream I buy it for someone else - seems strange but it works. A slow determined approach, eating the right foods, not blowing out on portions and exercising all works for me. I'm now fitting into clothes I haven't been able to for a number of years. I have also found I may not get that immediate enjoyment of eating icecreams and general entertainment food, but I also instead get the enjoyment at the end of the day not feeling awful because I have indulged into much sugar.

Replies

• bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Well said...it certainly isn't rocket science...but you'd honestly be surprised...some people genuinely don't understand. Take, for example, the story my girlfriend comes home with this morning...she's an RN in ICU and she recanted a story of someone that was well overweight, had a heart attack, for which they installed her 3rd set of stints (yeah, 3rd) when she came to she starts complaining about being hungry, so my girlfriend offers her the low sodium cardiac option from the cafeteria (turkey, green beans, etc...) to which the woman says "I don't like green beans, can someone from my family go get me something?" girlfriend "well, ugh, yeah I suppose...like what?" woman: "what about a big Mac". Girlfriend: "umm no!" woman: "five guys?" girlfriend: "look the doctor said this is what you're allowed to eat, so of you're hungry there it is, and no your family can't bring you fast food"

Seriously...people honestly don't get it, and it blows my mind!
  • lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So true. I feel the same way. I have been asked so many times, "What's your secret?". People.....there is no secret! Determination, eating right and exercising.
  • vettori
    vettori Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has been struggling with her weight on and off for years now who is actually angry with me for losing weight as though I'm withholding some kind of secret pill from her.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been on a lot of diets, for a long time I was looking for an easy option. I read book after book hoping for some secret which would show me how to lose weight easily. I now know the answer but I'm guessing that a lot of people are still looking for quick fixes and believe there is some magic diet pill to fix their own issues.
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know there is no secret. I've been educating myself on health and weightloss for over 20 years now. I can write a book about it. BUT..I love to eat and I cannot stop eating. The more I think about losing weight the more I want to eat. I can exercise all day if I have to but it seems like I always eat that much and more, so I don't really lose any weight. Skin is taught, muscles aren't too bad, I even have a little bit of height to help me. But I eat sooo much. So question now is: Is there at least a little secret to reduce appetite and cravings. I already know all of the science and numbers and blah blah. Just help me stop my mouth, it's like a garbage disposal. lol! I just had to get that out. Thank you. You are all wonderful.
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't understand either. in the past 2 weeks alone I have been asked by about half a dozen people what I am doing to get in shape cause they say I look great. when I say its nothing special just watching calories and exercise I hear the sigh then the oh. people really only want to hear that you stumbled upon the holy grail of weight loss. nobody wants to hear I don't eat fast food and pizza everyday and work my *kitten* off literally. I had one lady say oh but I don't like to exercise. I said fine then don't exercise but then you have to be very very good with what you eat. but I told her she can lose weight without exercise but would like her body more if she did workout and told her to find something she likes to do. she replied but I'm just lazy. I said fine do what you want to do. they even ask what diet I follow. I get looks of disbelief when I say I don't follow one just watch calories. I eat whatever I choose but I choose to not waste my calories dollars on chips, candy bars, soda pop, foo foo coffee drinks, and take out crapola!
  • Susantuti
    Susantuti Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    But I have to agree. People should know how it works already. It's like they are expecting a different answer.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight, people expect you to say you did Jenny Craig, or WW, or some Soup De Jour diet, when you just say eat right and exercise, it throws them off. LOL. I think most people know, it's just that so few people actually do it.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I had a church friend state to me,"It's amazing how much weight you lost on this diet. Not only that I haven't heard you complain about at all. You never complain that your hungery."

I was shocked to say the least. The thought that popped in my head..was.."Wait I have to starve myself?"

She than asked how I did it, for the seventh time and I told her, again.

However, people that I work with are starting to notes too. One asks why I am lossing weight. It was like.."Did the doctor tell you too?"

Umm..No...how about not being able to fit into cloths and the like..

*Sighs* People just don't want to get it. They think it's just 'too much work.'
  • 4Phoenix
    4Phoenix Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Actually, it IS a lot of work....I have to be conscious of every bite until I am use to portion control and not consuming a truckload of veggies every day. Susan, I agree. I'll bet we all have a library of diet books, I do and they are all health oriented. I know the numbers and what must be done....it is the doing that is tough. I'm hoping I can change that now by signing up and moving towards success. I'm off for my first lemon water and then the gym for my first official day on MFP.
  • cjlcarmody
    cjlcarmody Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What people don't appreciate is that when you get off the treadmill of eating fast food and sugar everything, you don't even miss what your supposed to be missing. Surprisingly you also feel less hungry and have less cravings, so it actually becomes easier, I really ever feel really hungry and most days I finish my eating with calories left over. Although sometimes when out, you are looking for something to eat and want to avoid fast foods. The other day in this situation I went to a Subway and had a salad and ham wrap with no cheese and sauce and it did the job and reasonably healthy. One food I really try and avoid is white rice. It is high in calories, has limited nutritional value, and you feel hungry not long after eating the stuff.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Well said...it certainly isn't rocket science...but you'd honestly be surprised...some people genuinely don't understand. Take, for example, the story my girlfriend comes home with this morning...she's an RN in ICU and she recanted a story of someone that was well overweight, had a heart attack, for which they installed her 3rd set of stints (yeah, 3rd) when she came to she starts complaining about being hungry, so my girlfriend offers her the low sodium cardiac option from the cafeteria (turkey, green beans, etc...) to which the woman says "I don't like green beans, can someone from my family go get me something?" girlfriend "well, ugh, yeah I suppose...like what?" woman: "what about a big Mac". Girlfriend: "umm no!" woman: "five guys?" girlfriend: "look the doctor said this is what you're allowed to eat, so of you're hungry there it is, and no your family can't bring you fast food"

Seriously...people honestly don't get it, and it blows my mind!

I have to agree with this. My father in law goes straight from his cardiac recovery appointments to the McDonalds drive through. He honestly thought he was making a good choice by just getting a sausage snack wrap. There is nothing wrong with those foods in moderation for the average healthy person, but when you've just had a stent put in and have been advised to drastically change your lifestyle by your doctor.....maybe McDonalds isn't the best choice. But he honestly did not know that it wasn't ok.

And people are all the time asking me what my secret is for weight loss. I will never get over the look of disappointment on their faces when I say "eat less and move more". It's becoming pretty funny. Or when people see me eat "junk" - and wonder how I can do that and lose weight. What they don't see are all my good choices and my exercise and how it all balances out.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The magic for me is logging every day as honestly as I can. Works like a charm! And I try to do some movement. Knowing I have to be accountable for my choices is the spell!

How is that for magic :P
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Because we live in an era of immediate gratification. We want what we want when we want it. So, if you are doing something that is getting the results someone else can't get you MUST have the secret pill, powder, wand to give it to them. *Some* people feel they are entitled to whatever good and happiness others have worked for, without having to put the effort in themselves. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view there is no fitness welfare program where those of us who are working out tails off lose the weight for those who can't.

It's easy garbage in = garbage out! You want to look great and feel great do great things for yourself!!
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Regarding the "eat right, and the cravings stop" comment: I'd heard that before and was skeptical. Imagine my amazement when I found it to be TRUE! I told a friend it was like I had reached a "Zen" place in regard to food. I was full, calm, and free of food anxiety.

My daughter has been asked about her success - 70 pounds this year with MFP. She also commented that people just sigh when she tells them: Eat right and exercise.
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital as a Respiratory Therapist. I frequently work with post cardiac bypass patients. So many of them want to do better on a cardiac diet, but truly don't understand how to do it and make it stick. It doesn't help that our hospital food is not great and the cardiac food is totally tasteless. They get the idea that healthy, heart friendly food is disgusting, mushy and tasteless. I think it's no wonder that they give up before they even try. Patient education consists of giving them a booklet on what not to eat, but few suggestions as to what TO eat and how to make the changes. The cafeteria food offered to staff and visitors is not particularly healthy either. We have Subway but we all know you can make bad choices there too. Some of my patients remember me from previous visits and ask what I am doing, and after reminding them that as a RT I am no expert on nutrition, I do share what is working for me, moderation, less processed food, and exercise.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think another part is other people don't realize how LONG we've been at it. Most people don't notice until you've lost a significant amount of weight. When my daughter took her son back to school this fall after a healthy summer, all the other moms commented on what must have seemed an "instant" change from last school year. They don't realize the day-to-day, month-to-month effort that got my daughter there, they just see the results and think it's magical.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I get this - so many people have asked me how I've lost weight and then look really puzzled when I say "Eat less and move more".

Then there are the people who think you can only lose weight if you join Weight Watchers/Slimming World etc and don't understand that you can do it without them.

Then when people ask you how long it has taken. When I say it has been around 6 months so far they look really disappointed as though that is far too long. It is actually 1-2lbs a week which is a sensible rate, but everyone seems to want a quick fix where they can lose a stone in a fortnight!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I've been asked if I'm starving myself...ummmm ....NO!
    I think the whole idea of "going on a diet" like it's some kind of finite thing has been so ingrained in us that the concept of "eat less and move more" is hard for a lot of people to get into their heads. Plus, the diet industry isn't going to perpetuate the idea. It'd put them out of business if people actually succeeded in long term change. As well, a lot of doctors still advise people to go on very low calorie diets, again like it's a finite thing.
    It's been proven over and over that keeping a food log works for weight loss. I have friends though who absolutely refuse to do it, saying that they don't have time or they're not going to catalogue everything they eat. That's the beauty of MFP for me. I can talk about it here and people's eyes don't roll back in their heads. I've pretty much stopped saying anything to anyone else. When someone notices my weight loss, I'm starting to smile and nod. That said, one lady at my gym did really want to know and she's been successfully using MFP, too....so there's the odd person who does accept the answer!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It's the mindset that is magic, not the process itself. Many people have their heads full of negative self talk and give up before ever really trying. Or they are stubborn about exercise being too hard or their health being too poor to exercise etc. There are also those who complain about hating "healthy" food and refuse to give up their junk food.

None of those excuses are really true. Lance Armstrong had cancer and still went on to win multiple (now revoked, but sheesh, he still came in first) Tour de France titles.

Michael Phelps was criticized for eating 12,000 calories a day that mostly included fast and junk food while training for the Olympics, but that didn't seem to slow him down or make him fat.

Once a person sets his/her mind to something, there is little anyone can do to stop that person from becoming successful. The opposite is also true; if someone digs in to their excuses and gives up, there is nothing anyone can do or say to convince them otherwise.