Horse People, where are you? Whinny if you can hear me!

Options
Some of my biggest visual motivators for losing weight and regaining my physical fitness are in the pasture outside my windows. My husband and I own a horseback trail riding business--he is 150 lbs soaking wet and in the best shape of his 59 years on the planet; I am on a mission to lose at least 128 lbs. I have not been able to ride for the past 8 years because of my weight and the associated lack of mobility/flexibility/strength/stamina. I have vowed to myself that WILL get down under 250 lbs (our company's weight limit for customers) and I WILL start to ride regularly before next summer.

I'd love to have some equine enthusiasts (all breeds, all disciplines) to support and from whom to receive support. I'd also like to know what some of you who are ahead of me on the riding status did to gain/keep your riding seat, flexibility and stamina.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• SMCLosesIt
    SMCLosesIt Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Neigh!

Sounds like you are living my dream life - I would love to have a trekking business!

As it is I just have my own horses (3 currently) But they keep me busy enough :) They were one of my motivators for loosing weight as well - I got a few highly unflattering jodhpur wearing photo's that convinced me that I needed to do something!!

Mostly I just use them as my one form of exercise, but I also do alittle bit of weights work (helps when it comes to stacking hay, cleaning the paddock out and all that)
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have 7 horses and they have definitely been my motivation to lose weight. I have two that are pony size and as no one is riding them I swore I'd be small enough when one of them came back from training. I've been on here for 91 days and have dropped from 184 to 164.8. I have ridden both of the ponies since dropping the first 15.

As for balance, my horse in my Avatar dumped me 3 times earlier this year so he too was a motivator. I figured if I lost weight my balance would be better and he'd quit dumping me. It has worked. I'm no longer afraid that he will buck when going into a canter. I KNOW he is going to buck, and I now know I am going to stay on his back.

Losing weight helps tremendously. It's as simple as eat less, move more. It's not hard. It's slow. My goal was to lose one pound a week, and I am a little frustrated that every week that is exactly what I lose. I keep thinking one week I'll have a surprise and be down 2 - but nope, it's always 1. It is slow - but even if it takes 52 weeks to lose it all - it will be better than being the same wieght 52 weeks from now. Good luck.
  • bonawolf
    bonawolf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Neigh! Lol. As a new college student, I had to leave my horse. I worked at a stable with 14 horses and had one of my own. It's good to see there are more horse people on here. :)
  • kimby39
    Options
    Oh I hear you! I ride a lot. I run barrels and I always keep thinking how much faster I could be losing some weight! Those precious tenths of a second count! So that is my motivation as well!
  • bshelby55
    Options
    Hi, we have 3 horses and I don't ride as much as I would like too. Wow, living in OR and have a horse trail riding business sounds so awesome! That must be a beautiful place to ride.

I am a brand new member so I am just starting out. I am planning on losing 20lbs. Not sure how long it will take, but I need to do it. I work for a large hospital in Cleveland, OH and our insurance now has 3 levels of premiums and I want to be at the lowest premium level which is a big motivation. Plus I just want to look and feel better. I know it will be hard to do and I have become complacent about my weight - so I will have to fight that!

Good luck, you are doing great!
  • wessecg
    Options
    I posted this picture on the over 50 board, but then realized that it probably belongs here also. My husband, me and my two young kids rode today. It isn't often we get to ride together. Loved it.

FamilyRideFall20128Fixsm.jpg
  • codycisco
    Options
    My horse helped my start this journey. I never stopped riding even at my highest weight but it was always on my mind that I must look horrible and I worried that I was hurting his back. We compete in ranch sorting and team penning so I wanted to have more stamina and make it easier for Cisco. I am now down 47 pounds with 53 more to go. Riding also helps burn calories and build muscle so I do it alot. Feel free to make me a friend.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My daughter rides english....starting jumping this year. I love going to the stable to watch her ride. I like to ride recreationally too but my fat belly made it umcomfortable to ride and very hard to mount and dismount! I saw a picture of how ridiculous I looked on the horse and havent ridden since. By next summer I hope to be back in the saddle again...walk on!
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    I'm also trying to get fit to ride! I've gotten injured by a calf knocking me down -- so I have back pain -- but when this is healed I want so much to ride with daughter and grandson, and also train my horses (own ten)!!
  • Mrsmartin61
    Options
    jblue.jpg

Still practicing my pic posts! This was my eye opener -- yikes! This mare has been a great horse -- she is patient with me! Janey Blue deserves a lighter me! Ive had her for almost ten years -- she wasn't ridable when I got her -- but with a lot of learning on both our parts -- she is my favorite. I also ride her off-spring - Wildfire.
  • mrskatie80
    mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep - my horses were my reason for losing weight to begin with!
    Plus getting my bum BACK into my 15" much loved Stubben dressage saddle! ;)
    Lost 32kg and while I had to readjust my seat as I lost the weight, the difference afterwards was incredible.
    I had so much more stamina and flexibility and LOVED that I didn't feel guilty any more.
    Or embarrassed by wearing jodhpurs!

Jennalesson.jpg

Here is my gorgeous mare that I had to sell when moving up to the city :(
    Still ride when I can, but family demands come first at the moment.
  • wessecg
    Options
    Rode my 13.3 hand pony yesterday (something I wouldn't do 20 pounds ago). Loved the ride and loved her. I still look a little big on her, but I still have 20 more pounds to lose. I thought she looked great in this picture.

KerriMeBest3sm.jpg

Too bad you had to sell your pretty girl mrskatie. And I understand the eye opening pictures MrsMartin.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Neeigghh!! :)

I'm here to get stronger mostly for my horses as well.. I started off as a hunter, and then switched to eventing because my horse was amazing at cross country, and I fell in love with dressage.
    I've had my pony (his name is Punky) for 11 years. He's probably around 25ish now, and he's still in great shape. He's being leased out to two little girls that LOVE him (he's still mine though.. can't bear to give him up!) but now I'm leasing this HUGE thoroughbred named Ben.
    This horse has an incredible amount of power. He's about 2,000 lbs and he knows it. So much suspension, and just incredible strength. I have been training him dressage (he came to us as a hunter) for a little over a year.
    I have not once ridden this horse and gotten off without being sweaty/sore the next day. And I've been riding him for over a year. He still makes me sore.

You have to ride him every stride.

Anyway, so that's the abridged version! I don't really jump anymore, mostly because I'm at a primarily dressage barn and jumping ben is like jumping over the moon (Fun, but he's so strong when he gets fast, it can get dangerous!)

I'll try and put pictures of my two ponies!
    But feel free to friend me! Anyone!! I love horse people! we are all a little nuts :-p

Ben and I-
    314498_10150324819346627_416047377_n.jpg

Me and the Punk :)
    5412_119933156830_483999_n.jpg
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    LOVE horses ! I would love to own one again one day. I used to have a pony called Breeze, she was a lovely chestnut mare, very quiet but sadly I outgew her. My next horse was a nutty thoroughbred lol., but I had to sell her because I just didn't have the time for her. sad. My cousin has moved to a large property with a few horses including a miniture ! I can't wait to visit her. She has loads of dogs, some lambs so it will be a lot of fun !
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    Long time horse lover here. Haven't ridden for two years now but was pretty seriously into it 'back in the day' :tongue:

I had two horses when I was younger, worked for a dressage trainer in Australia for 3 years and then went and rode for Ulla Salzgeber (dressage gold medallist at sydney and athens) in Germany. Worked my butt off for a year, and then quit :ohwell:
    Starting to miss riding pretty badly lately, going to have to get back into it soon I think.

Going way way back, my first horse Carl at pony club:

2ibgew1.jpg

My other boy, Turk:

2hozew5.jpg

And a couple of my rides in Germany:

szcw8p.jpg

2a5ke37.jpg

Really nice to meet some other horsey people here. Ahhh I miss my riding body :laugh:
  • DutchFrancis
    DutchFrancis Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi there, can I join?
    My name is Francis, I'm from the Netherlands and just joined MFP 4 days ago. First just to check it out and log what I'm eating while I'm not dieting but within two day's I'm already watching what I eat 'cause I don't want to log 'bad foods'. So I guess it's working already! :D
    And that's a good thing 'cause I want to lose weight before I can ride my 'new' girl. I ride since I was 10 and I've owned my own horses since I was 30 (I'll be 45 in a few weeks) but about 10 years of those 15 years I've been a 'non-riding' horse owner. First 'cause I couldn't ride the Painthorse foal I bred (had to sell the mare due to my divorce) and had to wait 'till she was old enough, than 'cause we had saddle-problems, than I had to sell her because I couldn't afford her anymore. After half a year being horseless (and VERY miserable) I bought a very traumatised Merens from a horsetrader just to save him from a very bad future. I managed to get him back on his feet so to speak, but the first time I rode him it went wrong (my fault, not his) and after that I just couldn't give him the 200% trust he needed to get him under saddle again. I sold him to a girl that wasn't affraid and he's all well and a great trail-horse now.
    But it left me horseless again, and again, I found out that I'm not doing well without horses in my life. Because of the money I waited, but after 2 years (that was last year), a friend of mine showed me an add of a pony she just knew would be great for me. I fell in love with the pics and knew right away I would be buying her. Went to see her a few days later and fell in love even more. She would be mine, no matter what it took (turned out she was a bargain and I could afford her as well, lucky me!)
    There was only one tiny problem ... She was shorter than what I planned to buy. I always said I should't ride a horse smaller than 14.3 hh (1.50 m.) but she turned out to be only 14.1 hh (1.45 m.).
    I rode her - eventhough my crash with the Merens made me pretty scared to ride unknown horses i felt at ease with her right away - and fell in love even more.
    A friend that was with me said the height wouldn't be a problem 'cause it's a sturdy mare (she's a Hucul / Konik mix) and it didn't look weird. She took a picture that I showed (pretty ashamed.. ) to serveral people and all said it looked fine.
    But even though height isn't a problem, , I think my weight is, especially because I want to ride long-rides in the future. So I promissed her and told myself that I couldn't ride her untill I weigh less than 90 kg. (I'm 106 now).

I own her exactly 1 year today and she needed that time to relax and land a little, the place (a kids riding school) wasn't right for her, but she had a year to relax and be herself again and I think she's ready by now... I've already worked with her from the ground and will start doing that more and hopefully I'll be able to find her a fitting saddle soon.
    Than it's all up to me, losing the weight so I can FINALLY be a riding horseowner again.

So.. this is my sweet girl, Raya, from Poland, half Hucul, half Konik (when I bought her she was véry overweight and she still is heavier than on this picture, but also getting there... we're going to lose weight together)
    Nina5.jpg

ninadq.jpg

And pretty ashamed I will show you the picture of me riding her. This was 1 year ago and I'm still about the same weight.
    ikopnina.jpg

And this is what I looked about 15 years ago, showing my first own Painthorse mare Spring Bid Flygirl at my first show ever.
    Here I'm at my thinnest (just under 70 kg.), don't think I will be able to reach this again, but everything below 80 would be great.
    showflyklein.jpg
  • wessecg
    Options
    Welome DutchFrancis. I did the math and 70 kg is 154 pounds. Unless you're very very tall, you should be able to reach that. I am losing weight for the same reason - I wanted to ride my 13.3 hand horse (my main horse is 15.2). See the picture above. I don't think I'm too huge on her and I am 5'7 and I weigh (have to look it up) 163 pounds or 73.9 kg. My goal is 65.77 kgs (if the calculator I'm using is correct.). But I understand I probably could have ridden her before I lost weight, but I wanted to be kind.

You horse is adorable. Keep us updated.
  • DutchFrancis
    Options
    Hi Wessecg,

I'm 5'8 and in the picture with my Paintmare I weigh about 70 kg. That was very hard to maintain for me, I've been 69 kg for a few weeks but couldn't stay below 70. In my slim period I've fluctuated around 72 kg.
    I'm 45 now and I honestly don't think it's a realistic goal to want to reach 70 again. I'm aiming for 75, but frankly I'll be happy with anything below 80. I want to be at least 90 before I start riding Raya. But with winter coming I'll have time, hope I will be able to start riding next spring.
  • DutchFrancis
    Options
    Already added 'mucking stables' to the exercise-database, but maybe other horse-people find other usable barn-workouts on this website as well: http://www.discoverhorses.com/all-about-horses/counting-calories-at-the-barn/
  • wessecg
    Options
    Bought my daughter a new horse this weekend. Now I'm up to 8 horses!!! One has to go. Anyway, he is an 11 year old 15 hand Tennessee walker. Doesn't gait so much unless you know how to put him into it (which we don't).

RoustySmaller39.jpg