Handling people who are jealous/sabotaging

Options
How do you do it? Do you just ignore it? Does it work as a motivator for you to continue to do better? Does it hinder/hurt your progress?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I remove them from my life because I don't need people like that surrounding me.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Ignore or use it as a motivator.

Prove them wrong, or push them out of the way(and/or punch them in the face).
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Don't have this problem, or maybe I'm oblivious to it.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I guess I just ignored them. My desire to succeed was too strong to be influenced by others.
  • beccannes
    Options
    I would take them w/a grain of salt. I know though it is hard when it is directly affecting you. I remember that when I had lost a 25 lbs. a couple of years ago a lot of my co-workers were jealous to the point of starting a rumor that I had an eating disorder. I felt horrible because it stole my success and made it ugly. The funny thing is I was eating more food having a healthy/clean diet. I found that the best method is just to ignore them. If they are not going to be happy for you and your success they aren't worth it.
    Are they doing anything particular to treat you bad out of jealousy?
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    People really try to sabotage? That's just downright mean!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I remove them from my life because I don't need people like that surrounding me.

This. And that's not just for weight loss related issues. That's for everything in my life. Don't waste time having people who bring you down in your life.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

This. And that's not just for weight loss related issues. That's for everything in my life. Don't waste time having people who bring you down in your life.

Yup. I have no "drama" in my life because I choose not to associate with the types of people who create drama. This leaves me with very few friends, but the ones I do have I can trust completely to always be honest and loyal.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8tew4qSIU1qe1x8qo1_400.gif

its funny because my sister is back on her healthy diet which is good, she lost 10kg before but then went back to eating badly.

she makes minor comments about me not getting enough variety in my diet, or not eating enough, and thinks I shouldn't spend money on a fitbit or aria scale / heart monitor cause its "a lot of money" when she goes to a nutritionist who tallys her food diary, weighs her and checks her bodyfat % for $150 a pop. <
    also includes a pat on the head.

I don't make comments when she takes a whitebread bun, puts cheese and pesto on it and eats it.

my sandwich / burger is vege sausage, fried egg, lettuce, sprouts, tomatoe, avocado, mustard and bbq sauce.

but yeh. totally struggling with diversity with 20g of protein, 2-3 serves of vegetables in a wholemeal bun.

i think if they are true haters (my sisters not really, probably shes annoyed because I've learnt a lot and i talk about it a lot) you should just stand up for yourself.

I agree with the removal comment above.

if they're your family and wont listen, take up kickboxing.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I just don't have anything to do with them.
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ignore them *****es. The only person who acts like that towards me is my sister lol, everyone else just tells me I need to stop.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, for me, the person in my life who does this is someone i can't get rid of. Well, im not willing to, it's my Dad. He is of the mind that you learn to do better if you are critisized...im more a catch more flies with honey than vinegar kinda girl. (not that i wanna catch flies lol)
    Anyways..to be honest, now i just don't tell him. Its sad cause i want him to share in my happiness, but i can't allow him to tear me down. Im lucky right now i won't see him till january. IF he says anything then, im hoping i can just shrug my shoulders and redirect conversation. Last time he saw i lost weight, he asked how much. I said 10 lbs. His comment to me was "so, whats that, like a good dump in the morning?" I will admit, i was crushed. gained it back and then some, and didn't try again for a long time. I can't say why his opinion means so much to me, it just does. Which is also why im getting councelling along with my weight loss program this time around. I wanna beat this thing once and for all.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I would take them w/a grain of salt. I know though it is hard when it is directly affecting you. I remember that when I had lost a 25 lbs. a couple of years ago a lot of my co-workers were jealous to the point of starting a rumor that I had an eating disorder. I felt horrible because it stole my success and made it ugly. The funny thing is I was eating more food having a healthy/clean diet. I found that the best method is just to ignore them. If they are not going to be happy for you and your success they aren't worth it.
    Are they doing anything particular to treat you bad out of jealousy?
    Just rumors, much like yours. Honestly I'm in that inbetween that I dont know if it actually bothers me or motivates me. It definitely annoys me.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    if you got friends trying to sabotage you...then F them..they aren't your friends...they're a-holes.
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me it's my Mum. I know it's not malicious, she does genuinely want me to succeed. It's actually been kind of funny lately, a real role reversal. My mum has always been very skinny and ate like a bird while I've always been really big and ate atrociously. My whole childhood and adolescence she was constantly scolding me for food choices and trying to get me to "just have an apple" etc.

She's just moved back in with me recently due to her circumstances and in the past few years has gained 15-20kgs. Now she's the one constantly saying "I can't be bothered, I'm too tired, I just want a pie" or "do you really have to go to the gym tonight? It's so late and it's cold outside!". It's weird but I'm the one who's now making all the healthy food choices and fighting her discouraging / sabotaging impulses. So far I've been determined enough to ignore her, but I hope she stops soon because I'm sure I'll cave at some point!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I mostly ignore it. I'm gonna succeed no matter what.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Ignore or use it as a motivator.

Prove them wrong, or push them out of the way(and/or punch them in the face).

Pretty much this. Well, except the fist to the face part. :laugh: I have a few friends who tease me about certain food choices when we go out. "Oh you should be eating a salad and not that burger! All your hard work is going to to go waste!" :angry: It doesn't work like that. If I did that EVERYDAY then sure, but I don't. I tried to encourge them to join me at the gym and some have! But they last at most 3 weeks and then the excuses start. I do have 1 really good friend who is dedicated as me but she lives across the water so I rarely get to see her. I wish I lived on her side of the water, she would be a awesome workout buddy! :frown:
  • annahuebscher
    Options
    Kick 'em in the junk.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I ignore it mostly. Whenever I'm around a certain person I overeat. Every single time. But that's only been 4 times in the whole 135+ days I've been on here, so I just ignore it. If it were more often then I'd probably decide something to do about it... I just don't know what.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Last time he saw i lost weight, he asked how much. I said 10 lbs. His comment to me was "so, whats that, like a good dump in the morning?" I will admit, i was crushed.
    OK, this is simple.

It is a skill no different than losing weight. You need to learn a verbal Tai-Kwon-Do. My suggestion would he Susan Elgin's "The Gentle Are of Verbal Self-Defense."

No disrespect to your dad, but most of us have these types in our lives and the only way to deal with them is to learn how to recognize and respond to verbal aggressive behaviors.