Wedding band too large... thoughts?

Options
I found a couple topics about this already but I want to know if anyone has resized an engraved 5mm - 10mm thick gold band and how you feel about the results and the cost. Also, where did you take it? Are there any good online places to send it to?

Also, what about spacers? If you used them did they work okay? And for how long? If you used a spacer until you got to your goal weight, please tell me about it and where you got it. Does it work if the ring is engraved on the inside of the band?

Thanks!

Replies

• Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    When I lost 35lbs back in 2010 I got a ring guard put on my rings until I could afford the $60 to get them resized. It was $30 per ring, but mine are only 3mm wide I think. Wherever my jeweler sent them, the results are great. I can't tell where they cut from.

The jeweler said not to wear the guard for long because they do wear down the metal. It doesn't mess up the engraving because it's not invasive to the ring. It's just an add on until you do get it resized.
  • fit4evaR
    fit4evaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had a wedding ring resized by Michelson jeweler in greenwood village co. He did an awesome job and it's 4 mm wide also. Cost $25
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I haven't re-sized mine yet, but I did use a metal spacer that was put on for about ten bucks. They said it would last longer than a plastic one. The metal one lasted a few months, maybe three or four, before it got bent badly enough where it couldn't be fixed (by us, anyways). At that point I set my wedding ring aside. I'm too afraid I will lose it, and I want to wait until I'm finished losing weight before I pay to have it re-sized. The spacer was great while it lasted.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had my wedding ring sized after I lost weight. Take it to a jeweler and they can suggest what is best. My jeweler put two gold round balls in mine so it wouldn't twirl on my finger.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you can go with a ring guard until you hit maintenance and stay there for a while, or the old-fashioned "wrap with yarn". Also you can buy stretchy beading thread (a soft sort of elastic) and wrap with that, tie a tiny knot -- works great, doesn't hold water, doesn't damage the ring.
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'm glad to hear there are people happy with the results of the resizing! I'll try all the temporary ideas for now.

I'm so sick of having to take the P trap off the sinks when I forget to take my ring off before I wash my hands!