What counts as water?

Options
robin52077
robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
Is it only plain unchanged water that counts toward your 8 a day?

Or can it have a crystal lite packet in it? Or a few drops of lemon juice and a splenda?

how about plain iced tea? just water and the tea bag, no sugar?

a bottle of fruit2o?

Was just wondering if anyone counts those types of things towards their 8 waters for the day.

Replies

• SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    TO ME: water is just plain pure water, everything else has checmicals of some sort added in. :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    all of that counts, I would not count coffee or soda as they have a dehydrating effect.
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I hope tea counts cause I've been counting it on my water intake thing.
  • volks80
    volks80 Posts: 56
    Options
    Personally I think anything that would be zero everything on the nutrition scale, or at VERY least close. Excluding soda.

Crystal Lite has I believe 5 calories per serving.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    I would count tap water, bottled water, propel water, water with crystal light. any of that stuff is ok. As far as tea or green tea, u can list them on your fitness thing, but i don't count them in mine.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I pretty much count any water-based liquids. I count my actual water, my evening tea. I use loose tea leaves and it's all very fresh so I don't think there's really anything there detracting from the water... I don't usually count my coffee.

Of course, remember that 8 cups is only a guideline. If you eat a lot of lettuce or fish you're taking in water there as well. Doctors recommend most that you use your thirst as a guideline to how much to drink. So if you don't quite make 8 cups a day but you are rarely thirsty and your urine is the correct coloration - don't worry about it.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I personally only count water towards my daily intake of water. I drink 10 glasses a day and usually have 2-4 cups of tea a day as well. It's definitely not easy, but it's helped me a lot. Most people count anything that has a water base as water. I'd be careful with the crystal light and other powders...artificial sweeteners and processed chemicals really won't help you out in the long-term.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Anything liquid counts as part of your water intake.

HOWEVER: if the liquid contains a lot of sodium, you'll have to drink MORE water to flush it out.

As a general rule, you need to drink a half cup of water for every one cup of a caffienated beverage, to counter-act the diuretic effect.

But milk, fruit juices, broths, teas, coffees, water with crystal light, etc, all count towards your water intake. Most people recommend water, though, because it doesn't have sugar, sodium, caffiene or calories.

I count the milk on my morning cereal, for example, as part of my water intake. If I have a cup of tea, I drink an extra half-cup of water (1.5 cups of fluid total) and count that as one cup (to account for the caffiene).
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    Just a heads up for everyone who says they count their tea as part of their water intake: Tea DOES have quite a bit of caffeine in it, and caffeine is a diuretic. You may be increasing your water intake by allowing yourself some tea instead of water or crystal light, etc. But it's also forcing more water OUT of your body.
  • kingnatalie
    kingnatalie Posts: 163
    Options
    If there is water in it, it counts. However, be careful, foods and other beverages all have some water. You cannot count 8oz of tea as 8oz of water. Does that make sense? Since water is good for you in so many ways, I would only count pure water, to make life easier, any water you get from another source is a bonus.
  • shizzam
    shizzam Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in the process of nursing school and when I took physiology last year, my teacher, who has a PhD in physiology and has been working in the field for 20 years, told us that the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a total myth. It's misconstrued information from a study that was done many years ago. He told us to drink whenever we're thirsty, or when ever we feel like it, and drink what ever you want...even wine...and you'll still get plenty of the water that your body needs. Drinking too much water can cause just as many problems as drinking too little. And often 8 glasses makes you feel uncomforble, bloated and running to the bathroom constantly. Just remember, there's a lot of incorrect information out there, so be careful when you're looking stuff up on the web.

When it comes to weight loss though, obviously you don't want to be drinking a bunch of things that are high in calories (like wine). So, water is always a good choice. But there are plenty of other things out there that you can drink, that don't have calories and can spice up your day a little more than water will. Also, drinking can help you feel more full, so hopefully you'll eat less. Oh, and caffeine is a diuretic, but the water loss is less than the water you are taking in, so it will not dehydrate you.

Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm in the process of nursing school and when I took physiology last year, my teacher, who has a PhD in physiology and has been working in the field for 20 years, told us that the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a total myth. It's misconstrued information from a study that was done many years ago. He told us to drink whenever we're thirsty, or when ever we feel like it, and drink what ever you want...even wine...and you'll still get plenty of the water that your body needs. Drinking too much water can cause just as many problems as drinking too little. And often 8 glasses makes you feel uncomforble, bloated and running to the bathroom constantly. Just remember, there's a lot of incorrect information out there, so be careful when you're looking stuff up on the web.

When it comes to weight loss though, obviously you don't want to be drinking a bunch of things that are high in calories (like wine). So, water is always a good choice. But there are plenty of other things out there that you can drink, that don't have calories and can spice up your day a little more than water will. Also, drinking can help you feel more full, so hopefully you'll eat less. Oh, and caffeine is a diuretic, but the water loss is less than the water you are taking in, so it will not dehydrate you.

Most doctors agree. In fact, the Mayo clinic says to operate by thirst and color of urine. I was SOOOO glad to get that news because if I really try to drink 64 oz of water a day I spend most of my time in the bathroom.

And only some teas to have caffeine, but not nearly as much as coffee. And some teas are caffeine free - usually the white teas, I think.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I agree with this- I've read this a LOT. The best indicator of whether or not we're getting enough fluid is by looking at our pee. If it's super-yellow, drink more!

I (personally) always try to get in 8 cups of fluids a day, just because I've noticed how good it's been for my skin and how much it helps with avoiding water retention. ESPECIALLY after eating too much salty foods or during my time of the month. Most of the fluids I drink DO happen to be water because of the calorie-free, sugar-free aspect of it. But no, you don't need to drink 8 cups of water on top of all the other fluids you eat and drink.... especially if you're not even thirsty.

I know that if I just 'can't' drink a full 8 cups of fluid I don't beat myself up over it...
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...my teacher, who has a PhD in physiology and has been working in the field for 20 years, told us that the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a total myth...

Don't start using facts and logic around here when it comes to something like this. You'll only get flamed. (And definitely don't try to argue the diuretic effect of caffeine!!!) Of course people mean well, but this topic brings out the nasty from people.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    ...my teacher, who has a PhD in physiology and has been working in the field for 20 years, told us that the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a total myth...

Don't start using facts and logic around here when it comes to something like this. You'll only get flamed. (And definitely don't try to argue the diuretic effect of caffeine!!!) Of course people mean well, but this topic brings out the nasty from people.

Isn't caffeine only found to be a diuretic sometimes in people that are newbies to coffee and high caffeine intake?

That's what I understand most studies have found, but I could be wrong. I'm a coffee drinker and I don't notice a difference on coffee days vs. days when I miss.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I would count everything except for Juice's, Soda ext, if it is a water base and you are just adding flavor, no sugers, then I would say you are good to go.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options

first off, LOL - love this one.

ok back to topic - regardless of the truth of the matter I'd say getting used to drinking just straight water daily is a good thing and one that can't but help your efforts.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options

Isn't caffeine only found to be a diuretic sometimes in people that are newbies to coffee and high caffeine intake?

That's what I understand most studies have found, but I could be wrong. I'm a coffee drinker and I don't notice a difference on coffee days vs. days when I miss.
    Yes. Caffeine absolutely IS a diuretic. However, our bodies get pretty conditioned to the normal amount of caffeine we consume so if you up your intake you may notice the difference. If you've always drank 8 cups of coffee, you don't need to drink 16 cups of water in addition to "flush out your system". With the usual amount of caffeine in our system, there's no statistical difference between it and water in terms of diuretic effect.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I count ONLY my water. I do have a soda in the morning that has zero calories - but I don't count it in my water amount.
  • bridgett_shorter
    Options
    Is it only plain unchanged water that counts toward your 8 a day?

Or can it have a crystal lite packet in it? Or a few drops of lemon juice and a splenda?

how about plain iced tea? just water and the tea bag, no sugar?

a bottle of fruit2o?

Was just wondering if anyone counts those types of things towards their 8 waters for the day.

To be technical per my daughters dr( she had surgery.) everything counts as your water intake. To do it healthiest is a totaly different story there. Adding crystal lite or a little lemon is deff better then tea or coffee for obvious reasons.