New member - one month NO progress!?

Options
Hi
I joined MFP almost a month ago now - it has been so helpful in encouraging me to watch what I'm eating and to motivate me to make really healthy choices - I felt like I was doing really well.

I started at 60.5 and straight away saw the massive amount of fluid I was retaining disappear and my clothes started to fit better again, the scale started to go down a little which was encouraging, but now a month later, despite having lost most of my boobs, the scales are still the same. Since my goal is to lose just 5kg and I eat generally pretty healty and have just moved overseas and so am biking and walking a lot rather than sitting in my car I thought that this would be much easier to get on top of.

I have felt so frustrated and dissapointed that I'm basically still at square 1 that Ive used this as an excuse to celebrate the end of my exams 3 days ago with eating out and having deserts, something I wouldnt normally do pre or post MFP. Now when I weigh in this morning I'm 61.7kg - higher than ever! Now Im really confused, how can my body not be responding to the work Ive been doing this past month, but within just a couple of days shoot up so much? I have no idea whether my calorie goals are correct or what to be doing with the extra excersize calories - I just try to excersize and stick to 1200 calories per day.

I would be really grateful if someone could have a look and see what Ive been doing wrong - and please note the last couple of days (AKA when the pastries appear!) are not typical and after this mornings weight in shocker - they're over too! Thanks very much!

Replies

• asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Well... Maybe sodium caused you to retain water if you ate out. However: The 80:20 rule is good to keep in mind. If you eat healthy 80% of the time, then the occasional treat (the other 20%) is okay. I, for example, allow myself a piece of chocolate or some other treat almost daily. (Not a lot of chocolate, about 5-10g of the dark stuff). Learn what "guilty" foods have the lowest and highest amount per calories per serving, and choose wisely. And going out to eat once is okay. It is a lifestyle, not temporary, and I suppose you are not planning on never going out for a meal again.

Also: 1200 calories may be a bit low considering you have very little weight to lose. What is your height? Unless you are quite short I would guess that is below your BMR, and most certainly below TDEE (Look for the "road map" in the forums).

And are you actually weighing and measuring out your foods? It is very easy to underestimate the amount of food on your plate. This could actually be the reason for your weight-gain.

ETA: You drink Bailey's almost every day. For me that is really somewhat unnecessary, but I rarely drink anyway. There are also pastries on a lot of days (went through all of november), and you seem to choose things like "skinny taste" when choosing generics. Are you sure this is what you are actually eating.

From your diary i make the wild assumption you are from Denmark (I am from Sweden). I know some typical danish food to be very unhealthy. Also, a lot of your processed foods have 0 sodium. This simply is not accurate. And remember to log the salt you put in your food too. Lots of sodium there. (I am very bad at logging salt myself, but I try to).
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who enquires as to the accuracy of your logging; are you actually recording the EXACT things you are eating? I ask because you say you live oversees but yet are logging UK brands such as Tesco and Morrisons. Or do you have these stores where you live and I am being ignorant?! Also -re the Bailey's - what is that all about? Are you cooking with it or drinking it? Are you sure you are measuring it correctly? You frequently log 5ml of Bailey's; this is 1 teaspoon's worth, practically nothing. A standard UK pub measure would be 25ml. If you are guesstimating too much then you may be consuming more than you think and that would explain why you aren't losing.
  • katiest84
    Options
    Thanks so much for getting bak to me so fast

As for the Baileys - yes I am drinking it everyday and yes I do measure it out - a drizzle in my coffee is delicious and since I don't regularly drink I dont think its really a problem, a little unusual maybe but I enjoy it and if I can fit in into my overall plan I try to but its not essential. Its not so many calories ut since im going in the opposite direction then maybe I should and see if it helps at all

You got it in one - I am in Denmark which is why Im using a lot of UK brands - I just try to find the closest fit in terms of portion size etc becuase I find it really hard to find danish brands in the database. I do scan everything just in case its in there already but usually not.

I am not weighting everything but trying to be accurate and recording every single thing I eat religiously - but its a good idea, I think I will invest in some scales just to be sure. As for sodium I have absolutely no idea how to measure this other than relying on the info in the database. I dont add any salt to my foods and rarely cook with stock cubes etc

My height is 168 cm. All i know is that I need to aim for 1200 and excersize to try to loose weight. I have heard of those other measures but i dont really know what they mean or how to calculate them

Thanks for putting it into perspective about eating out once in a while too! As you say its a long term thing

Thanks for your advice - i appreciate it!
  • katiest84
    Options
    oh yeah and as for skinny taste - Ive been cooking mostly skinny taste recipes lately - her food is delicious and healthy and then I know the nutritional info since I'm new to all this
  • asarwe
    Options
    BMR is your Basal Metabolic Rate, or the amount of calories you would need to put into your body just to maintain your weight if you slept all day.

using http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I calculate your BMR to be around 1400 calories. You should never eat below this. Are you shooting for 2 pounds/week by any chance? That is way too much if you only have 5kg (10-12 lbs) to lose. Up your calories to around 1400 instead and eat back your exercise calories. Or use the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) from the calculator and make a 250-500 cut from that and don't eat your exercise calories. Your choice. Just make sure you, on average, net above BMR.

I know this is probably not the answer you want, but you actually have to read the label of the foods you eat. Most foods have sodium on the label. And there is no guarantee that the database entry for a different brand will match. Different brands have very different nutrition. I think this inaccuracy may be your answer.

As for the Bailey's, it is good that you actually measure it out. I, too, reacted on the very small amounts. Also: Are you sure you only have 100ml of milk in a glass? That is not that much.

I guess Denmark must have an institute of food of some sort (or if you read scandinavian languages: try the swedish Livsmedelsverket). There you could find some useful data on foods. And you may have to create your own foods by copying down the label into MFP.
  • katiest84
    Options
    OMG I never thought about that with the milk - I just choose '1 glass' from the quantity without ever having thought about it - I just measured and you're exactly right - its actually 250ml which is a whole lot more - thanks! Ok now I am going to check EVERYTHING because as you say it could be all these little things adding up

Thanks also for doing the calculations for me - Im a little lost and your help is exactly what I need to point me in the right direction! Ill have a look at the TDEE thing too

I was hoping to lose about 0.5kg per week but thats no so important as long as its working and I'm on my way. Its a bit scary to think of eating more when eating less isn't working but I guess its worth a try if I'm not doing the right thing at the moment. Also it seems strange to eat more when I excersize - like that cancels out the excersize in the first place?!

Good point about making my own entries into the database - I can see I need to be a lot more accurate and this looks like the only way to do it. I cant read danish but I can read the labels - so far its just been to choose between products but now I'll be a lot more careful about entering items into the database. I might try the website you suggested and see if it helps me
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree @asarwe, because if you choose a diet - it's not for few months, but for rest of your life (generally). I don't think that you should be guilty, because it happens often - our weight is more or less changing and it depends on the body or metabolism. You do not weight so much that your body would give away those 5 kilos in just a month. Moreover, your body gains weight fast if you are on a strict diet. It's normal and the best option is to eat healthy as you said you do, and do a workout which you think is pleasant for you - if you do a strenght training, you would gain more weight, but it's because muscles weight way more than fats - obviously and the overall body mass is not really that important. If you do cardio exercises - yoga, jogging, bicycle or gymnastics, you would lose fat and train your 'inner' muscles which are not that visible, but sure gives you health and nice forms. I guess you all know that, but just wanted to repeat that it's really not so strange that on lower body mass you gain weight faster.
  • katiest84
    Options
    Thanks! Its so nice to have you all give me a reality check - Ive been feeling guilty and like ive failed becuase I had gone out to eat and eaten pastries - then I thought it was a free for all since I had blown it anyway
    Much more helpful to look at it from a lifestyle change perspective and with the 80/20 rule, that way I focus my energy on achieving my goal rather than beating myself up and then giving up on the plan all together
    Been looking into this TDEE stuff - looks a lot more scientific than my 'I heard somewhere 1200 is the number'. Ill give it a try and be a bit more patient!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    WAIT! Before you INCREASE your calories, really look to see exactly how many calories you are eating. You have already seen where you have underestimated some of your servings. Go back and edit your daily diaries to see what your actual daily intake it. Then add up all the calories you have eaten for the past 2-3 weeks, and divide by the number of days to get your average daily intake. I saw several days you went over, one day was quite a bit over, probably enough to wipe out your entire week's deficit.

Next, what type of exercise are you doing? I saw one day with around 1400 exercise calories. That is very difficult to burn in one day for the average person. If you are walking or cycling and use the MFP calculators, note that they can give you a number that is as much as 50% higher than your actual burn, SO if you are eating back your exercise calories, which on many days you apparently were, then the overestimation of calories burned, added to the underestimation of calories consumed, could put you eating a whole lot more than you realize.So get an accurate count on your calories in and out before you start adding more. I would suggest getting a Heart Rate Monitor that has a chest strap, to wear when you exercise to get a more accurate count. Polar FT4 or FT7 are very good brands that a lot of people on here use and they are very accurate.

And like everyone else said, be patient. You will normally lose a lot the first week or two, then slow down drastically the next week or two while your body adjusts. But if after a month you aren't seeing any progress at all, then you are probably eating too many calories. Get some accurate numbers and start from there.
  • katiest84
    Options
    ok now Im confused - I went back and made corrections for the milk that I know has been wrong and checked and all the rest looks ok to me

I am cycling to and from school - minimum 60 mins per day at least 5 days a week and walking on the other days. That big excersize day was actually accurate - well at least I rode for like 3 hours or something that day.

I dont have a heart rate monitor or anything and as a student I cannot really afford to buy one - if I estimate my calorie goals more accurately at 1400 and consume only half of the excerize calories is this sufficiently reliable? (as well as obviously being much more careful about my measurements and recording of the actual products im eating)

You're right, Im so glad I posted because I have a totally different and more realistic picture in my head of what ive actually been doing, whereas I thought I had it all worked out perfectly before, now I understand where theres room for improvement and hopefully it will work. Im hoping that if I consistently eat 1400 calories without the low/high days it might be more effective
  • asarwe
    Options
    I would try to underestimate my exercise, just becuse MFP estimates it wrong. I have a HRM, but it is only accurate above a certain heart rate anyway. Make sure you put a low intensity on cycling and walking, since it is easy to overestimate this.

Or use the TDEE apporach and fit it into your daily goals and not eat back anything.I find this approach much easier since I don't have to keep track of all the walking I do in a day.

I feel you on the student economy thing, it sucks! I got my HRM as a gift from my parents, would not have been able to afford it otherwise.

It sounds like you have a more reasonable outlook on this now. I find that living in the real world helps. I. for exemple, had a terrible week diet-wise this week. But i just dust myself off and try to keep on track. Studying is hard sometimes, and the brain needs fuel.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I dont have a heart rate monitor or anything and as a student I cannot really afford to buy one - if I estimate my calorie goals more accurately at 1400 and consume only half of the excerize calories is this sufficiently reliable? (as well as obviously being much more careful about my measurements and recording of the actual products im eating)

You're right, Im so glad I posted because I have a totally different and more realistic picture in my head of what ive actually been doing, whereas I thought I had it all worked out perfectly before, now I understand where theres room for improvement and hopefully it will work. Im hoping that if I consistently eat 1400 calories without the low/high days it might be more effective

Sounds like a great plan. A lot of people on here eat only half of their exercise calories and it works great for them. Doing the 1400 every day works well for some also. Just hang in there.
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you have a Lidl near you, I got mine there for £12.99. It probably overestimates my calorie burned so I take a 3rd off just in case and don't eat all the calories back.

Glad you posted and got some advice, would hate to see people discouraged and quitting when they've made such a positive decision for themselves! x
  • katiest84
    Options
    Thanks everyone - Im so glad I did too - I woke up after having a few crummy days motivation-wise to jump on the scales and feel totally defeated and like its all been a waste of time....your experience and support have totally turned it around and Im feeling motivated to keep trying, and tweak the plan to make sure Im being as effective as I would like to be, based on all your great advice

I do have a Lidl nearby so I will keep an eye out for heart monitors - and I will see if theres an app for it too - that would be perfect!

I like the idea of relying on TDEE but it just seems so high (1949 less 20% = 1560), I dont understand it enough to feel comfortable justifying the extra 160 calories and then what if you dont do much excersize for a day or two, then im eating quite a bit more than I need I think

As for the whole student thing, the last few weeks Ive been more focused on doing what I need to do to study for exams and then doing a bit of celebrating that theyre over with - now that thats all behind me its time to get back on track!!

Congratulations to all of you as well - its great to see from your tickers that you've all lost weight and are well on your way to achieving your goals - hopefully ill be joining you soon! Its very encouraging to stick with it