weigh in everyday ??

Options
2»

Replies

• piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I weigh in and measure every thursday... I don't think I could tolerate all the flucuations...

I figure if what I'm doing works and I see an actual difference after a few days I know to keep doing it...If it doesn't work I know I need to change something... That won't show up in one day
  • anna473
    anna473 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh every other day. I do that to keep myself in check. I realize there are going to be fluctuations, that is to be expected, but if there is a 2 lb or more fluctuation, I'm on it like flies on food. I go back and check my diary, if I ate too much sodium, did I eat too many starchy carbs... basically what I'm saying is... I do it to keep myself pushing hard. It is honestly your personal choice. I have found peace with the scale because when I take my measurements it tells a different story. I love the fact that I'm losing inches and the scale may not be moving as fast as I'd like it.

So it is really on you. :flowerforyou:

Sodium will make your weight rise?

Anyone else know where I can access this "graph" mentioned earlier?

Top of the screen - hit REPORTS - then choose Progress - run it by weight and whatever timescale you like. I love looking at my graph. Particularly my net calories (Nutrition report). It's addictive!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I weigh every other day. I do that to keep myself in check. I realize there are going to be fluctuations, that is to be expected, but if there is a 2 lb or more fluctuation, I'm on it like flies on food. I go back and check my diary, if I ate too much sodium, did I eat too many starchy carbs... basically what I'm saying is... I do it to keep myself pushing hard. It is honestly your personal choice. I have found peace with the scale because when I take my measurements it tells a different story. I love the fact that I'm losing inches and the scale may not be moving as fast as I'd like it.

So it is really on you. :flowerforyou:

Sodium will make your weight rise?

Anyone else know where I can access this "graph" mentioned earlier?

Top of the screen - hit REPORTS - then choose Progress - run it by weight and whatever timescale you like. I love looking at my graph. Particularly my net calories (Nutrition report). It's addictive!

Thank you so much!:flowerforyou:
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Simple answer?

Do what helps you the most. I weigh myself everyday simply because if I don't, I will mess up. The scale keeps me in check.
  • dellalyn
    Options
    I weigh everyday, and I post it every day too. I already know and accept that there will be fluctuations, (sometimes more than I expected, but Oh Well). I like posting it, because I love to hit the reports, and look at the graph! It's so fun for me! I like seeing the real weights. I also think it helps me to learn what is a normal pattern of weight loss, and learning that helps me to not be discouraged when I'm eagerly waiting for a loss. It's kind of like taking a picture everyday, and I love seeing the whole process.

This! You put exactly what I was feeling/thinking into words. Thanks!!!
  • cvcman
    cvcman Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    if you see a 2 pound jump in one day that HAS to be water,correct
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I like to step on the scale everyday. I like to see the small ups and downs daily and it gives me ideas about maybe what made me retain water or whatever. But, my official weigh-in day is Friday. The rest is just for information. But, I don't let the ups and downs get to me because all that matters is what happens on Fridays.

For me, I find it motivated. For instance, I weighed myself on Tuesday, and I was up by about 2 lbs. I was angry because I've been working so hard. So, I just kicked butt in my workouts, and I ate really super clean and did everything right, so by Friday, I was down 1.4 lbs in total. So, that's why I like to weigh myself everyday, but only log in weekly.
  • rladd6421
    Options
    i weigh myself every morning just so i can enter the "correct" weight on my amt machine. i don't mind seeing the fluctuations as i know it's usually my water intake or lack thereof. i think where it matters is the inches, as long as they don't go up then i'm happy. but do whatever works for you, it's all about preference.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    there is no right or wrong answer, it's whatever works or feels right for you. I weigh in daily but am not emotionally affected by any fluctuations and thus don't sabotage by own eating plan because of the number on the scale. I like seeing the movement because I can often deduce the cause based on my logging from the day before.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    once a month.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Just be aware that weight fluctuates all the time. If it doesn't mess with your head then every day is okay, but once in a week is more preferable. Record your weight once a week though, otherwise your weight graph is going to have crazy spikes like this /\/\/\/\/\
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I only weigh when I got to publix.. I got rid of my scale. It became a obsession. Now I weigh maybe 2xs or 3xs a week. I lost more weight when I was not stressing it.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    As long as you realize that the weight fluctuation is normal, I think it's fine to weigh yourself everyday. It helps if you weigh yourself on the same scale, weighing the same amount of clothing, and at the same time of day.

I wasn't weighing myself everyday and strayed and gained weight back. For me weighing myself everyday motivates me even if I "gain" one day or I'm losing slowly. I know if I stick to healthy eating and exercise I will evenutally lose the weight I want to lose.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    if you see a 2 pound jump in one day that HAS to be water,correct

I would say yes unless you won a pie-eating contest the previous day!
  • goffley3
    goffley3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do it once a day. Weight does fluctuate day to day but I usually do it to keep myself honest. When I have a day of over eating and I have a lot of retaining water I gain, then I drink more than the advised amount of water to flush it out and then I weigh in the next morning and see all the weight I lost!!
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and record it on an Excel spreadsheet that I set up before I joined mfp. I like being able to see the trends on a daily basis. I only log in my weight at mfp when I have a loss. Watching the ticker go backwards when I am fluctuating over those 2-3 lbs is too depressing for me.
  • Cougarita65
    Cougarita65 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, it helps me keep myself in check.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    this is a never ending debate. find what's comfortable for you and stick with it. i weighed every day in the beginning, to see what was working and what wasn't. then i platued and weighed every day to see if i broke thru yet. then i was the lowest i had been in almost forever and weighed in everyday to make sure i stayed there. it is motivating for me, but i understand it doesn't work that way for everyone. let the debate continue!

I agree. This is a personality thing. I weigh every morning (and sometimes just before bed). The fact that it bounces around makes me worry less about any one number. I'm looking for a general downward trend. Plus the fact that the high bounces are lower and lower makes me confident that the losses are real.
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For years I weighed daily. Then I felt I was obsessing too much so moved to weekly. It was really hard to resist daily weighing but then I got used to it and sometimes don't weigh in if I feel like I've had a bad week. I'm currently contemplating daily weighing again to keep me accountable.